reverse wire edged bonnet

For those interested in competing 4 cylinder Morgans

Moderator: John Clarke

John Clarke
Anti spam question: MSA

reverse wire edged bonnet

Post by John Clarke »

Mentioned in passing ""I caught up with Andy Garlick last time I was in the UK and he gave me the original reverse wired edge bonnets for my car".

The year of the car was 1955.

This is all new to me, I didn't realise that MMC did this.....or did they? Perhaps someone more knowlegable than I can confirm.

Cheers

john
8-)
Mark Shears

Re: reverse wire edged bonnet

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi John,

The bonnets on Choc Ices are like this.

And they look really good.

When I bought my black car (as a pile of bits) it came with a pair of red bonnets with the earlier type (riveted) bonnet scoop.

They too were original wired edge bonnets - shame they wouldn't fit as I rebuilt the car as a lowline Supersports (replica!)

Cheers,

Mark
larry emrick

Post by larry emrick »

Hello all:
What was the reason for the reverse edge and in what year or years did it appear. I"ve only seen one, years ago on a Super Sport.
Thanks, Larry Emrick, Vancouver.
Arthur Langell

Post by Arthur Langell »

My SS, #5212 titled as 1963 has the reverse wire edged bonnet, my 1964 +4 four seater does not, however the 4 seater has a double layer of steel at the rear bend of the bonnet, I think both the double thickness and wire bend are for stability or strength. The rear edge of the skuttle on both my cars have the reverse edge.
Jochem Kentgens

Post by Jochem Kentgens »

I owned two so called Baby Doll Morgans - one 1959 and the other one 1960 (the latter now owned and raced by Richard Thorne). Both had the reverse wire edged bonnets. In both cases I am absolutely sure they were original. Maybe only aluminium bonnets had these, because of the aluminium that needed the strength?