The Jim Tucker Trophy Tribute Race.

For those interested in competing 4 cylinder Morgans

Moderator: John Clarke

Guy Loveridge

The Jim Tucker Trophy Tribute Race.

Post by Guy Loveridge »

Calling all drivers of 4/4, +4 or pre 1971 Plus 8 Morgans. Following last year's first running, we are BACK for 2011. This year we are proposing to run a 1 hour, 1 or 2 driver, compulsary pit stop race at......SPA. This will be for the superb Tucker Trophy, which James will have to, perhaps, surrender from Norfolk. This time the race is for any competition Morgan pre 1971. Which means, 1960's cars with more modern engines CAN play, so long as they fulfill the safety criteria. It's a UK National A licence race, and the winner will be awarded the Tucker Trophy, to hold for 2 years, a copy of the Jim Dugdale print "Malvern Meets Maranello" signed by Jim Tucker, and 200 Guineas, very kindly put up by Jim's widdow Jennifer Tucker.
Please, anyone interested in joining us at the ONLY non-UK circuit Jim ever raced at, let me know either here, or directly on my own email - gjcl69@aol.com - and please spread the word to those who do not follow this board.

So, in brief:-
Weekend of 11/12th June 2011.
Spa Grand Prix circuit.
2 driver, 1 hour pit stop race - with half hour qualifying, plus open practice session on the Thursday for extra cost.
All pre 1971 Morgans that fulfill safety criteria.
First prize of the Tucker Trophy, plus print and 200 guineas.
Entry fee is 650 euros each entry. so, if you are running two drivers it's 325 euros each.

Let me know as soon as you can, as we will be sharing a grid with other "Marque" sports cars, and I'd love to take at least 30 Morgans over.
Best to you all and compliments of the season. I hope we can attract ALL those who made 2009's Tucker Tribute "Race of the Weekend" at Brands Hatch, plus a good few more folk as well.

Guy Loveridge.

**STOP PRESS** IF anyone fancies a "Guest Driver" - Willie Green would love to join us!**
Last edited by Guy Loveridge on Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barry Sumner

Re: The Jim Tucker Trophy Tribute Race.

Post by Barry Sumner »

Why 71, mine is 72 and been used only occasionaly, but it did compete with Jim, well once!!!
Can you please accomodate
Barry
Guy Loveridge

Post by Guy Loveridge »

Hi Barry,

I well remember you flying around the Wilaston Circuit at the Manx Classic! The 1971 date was chosen because Jim hung up his helmet at the end of the 1971 season, not coming back to racing until the 1990's when his car had become a "classic"! BUT - given Jim enjoyed your "Morganeering" - drop me an email and we'll discuss things!

Guy
Jim Mountain

Post by Jim Mountain »

Barry,

Isn't your black flat rad eligable ?

an older car with a "modern engine"
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Hi Guy, I am definitely interested if we can get the Plus 8 rebuilt in time. I have emailed you as well.
Mary
RICHARD PLANT
Morgan Class E

Post by RICHARD PLANT »

Hi Guy,

Sorry for the late reply I’m interested in coming to Spa for another Tucker Trophy race the last one at Brands was fantastic =D>

Anyone else going?

Richard
Jochem Kentgens

Post by Jochem Kentgens »

Hi Guy,

Yes, definately interested to compete with my '64 +4!

Great that the continent will host this event....!

I will also call Nico Zonneveld tomorrow, he might be interested as well ('63 +4 SS spec).

Where do we register Guy?

Best wishes,

Jochem
Jochem Kentgens

Post by Jochem Kentgens »

Just spoke to Nico Zonneveld and we would both love to participate!

Just let me know where to register and we will arrange.

Jochem
Guy Loveridge

Post by Guy Loveridge »

Thanks to all for your interest!
Some New Year News!
Jennifer Tucker, Jim's widdow, is VERY much behind this, and has offered to give 300 Guineas prize money.
I would ask all prospective participants to put a name on here, and then email me at home - gjcl69@aol.com I will sort entry forms etc when I have them.

All the very best to you all, and thanks for helping to make this a reality!

Best,

Guy Loveridge
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

If the prize is in pounds and shillings that surely means a pre decimalisation cut off date for year of cars - 1971
now 300 pounds plus 300 shillings
that's 300 pounds plus 300 5ps........ :?: :?: :?:
chas windridge
Tech Comm

Post by chas windridge »

Hello Guy

Hopefully I will be up for this.
Having re-aquired (again !) my Tomcat 4/4, we have just neutered it ! - turbo surgically removed, anaesthetic by Bob with big hammer. Transplant operation scheduled when matched Ford donor available.
Born in 1969, brought back to life by a vet in 1989 with Lotus T/C, then transplanted with Fiat T/C. Had a heart attack at Thruxton in 1993 (messy !), so another transplant with the Rover 220 turbo engine for 1994, lived happily and successfully thereafter, - until under the knife 2 weeks ago !
Hopefully fully recovered and raring to go in June.

Happy New Year.
Chas
Guy Loveridge

Post by Guy Loveridge »

Thanks to all for all of the interest. I will know a heck of a lot more after the Autosport show in 2 weekends time. I'll post where to send me an SAE for entry form and timetable then. Jennifer is so pleased that we are going to Spa, she is offering 400 guineas to the winner, to go with stewardship of the Trophy for 2 years and a print. Worth a crack I reccon! So, for those without a head for Mathematics, like me, the prize fund is a cash value of £420:00. Thus, at Today's rates - the entry fee is £540:00 for a car with two drivers - or solo - - and the prize would be £420. So, if you won, its racing at £60 a head - pretty good for all that track time at Spa!! I've had a good few "early adopters", but I'd like to take at least the grid we had at Brands - so, my target is 25 cars, please! IF anyone has a spare drive, Willie Green and myself are available! Might even offer Charles Morgan a run......any takers?
Guy Loveridge

Post by Guy Loveridge »

ATTENTION ALL! The time is nigh! PLEASE send me stamped, self addressed envelopes, email NOT acceptable - Guy Loveridge, Tucker Trophy, 85 Warburton, Emley, West Yorkshire, HD8 9QP - UK! All entries for th eTucker Trophy Race at Spa HAVE to come through me. I'll send out entry forms as soon as I have your envelopes and we'll beging building what I trust will be a superb race!

Many thanks, and remember to tlel all friends and all those who raced with us last time!

Guy
DanielLee

Post by DanielLee »

Hi Guy

Do you know which day of the weekend that the race is held?

Also how do you book the test day?

Many thanks

Daniel

PS Have sent an email to your private address
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Hi Guy,
I am posting you my envelope with sae, we are working as fast as we can on the Plus 8 and hope she might be ready in time although it will be tight......
Best wishes
Mary Lindsay