RACING +4s

For those interested in competing 4 cylinder Morgans

Moderator: John Clarke

john bevan

Re: RACING +4s

Post by john bevan »

I'm sure Alan House will be along shortly to answer..........
Morgan Club Sport. The only way to drive to and from races!
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

Alans earlier morgan racing included

June 1963 bought the ex Roy North TR2 PYU 430 and in 1964 bought the ex Adrian Dence LawrenceTune +4 SS 818 AOA from Brian Kendall. After major shunt at Silverstone in 1965 car was rebuilt on 2nd hand left/hand drive chassis, ALT 82B.
peter
Andy Downes
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Andy Downes »

Great picture Bill.

I love the 'Factory Fitted' tinworm in evidence underneath the door - I had a 4/4 like that once ! (see Chris Harvey's book Morgan The Last Survivor p. 208).

Andy
'Skipper'
Dominic House
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Dominic House »

Hi All

Pater is currently in Dubai visiting Eliza, Kieran and Rapherty and emaied me to post a response on his behalf....

1st e-mail:

'On the Brakehorsepower site P. Rafter posted in reply to a post and photo of 25 Morgan by Bill Hughes. As I do not know my log-in details could you post that it is of me either in '64 or '65 in 818 AOA in the ex Kendall/Dence LT +4SS and that the post of Peter R sums it nicely. I'm not sure of the date or the circuit but on my return from the sunshine I'll do a bit of research.'

2nd e-mail:

'It certainly looks like me but I'm not absolutely convinced. I don't recollect the 'tin worm' as alluded too by Andy. Also the name on the bonnet does not look correct and I do not remember having the LT logo. Also I don't remember using goggles! Heigh-ho, who knows!'

Glad we got that cleared up then ;) ....

Car67
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi Dominic,

Hope you and Dad are both well.

Tell dad Richard is right!

The picture is of his old Supersports which he shared with Roy North,formerly known as 818 AOA but now carrying the reg number MOG 1.

The photograph was taken at Brands Hatch at The Guards Trophy race in 1965.

This is the infamous race that Chris Lawrence raced the fairly new SLR. the race was 1000 miles (remember Alan?!)

It was so long it was held over two days with a 500 mile race on each day.

Chris was leading on the first day until after about 30 laps the chassis broke...

He welded it up and fixed I think dodgy brakes as well to return the next day and beat everyone else to win the second race!

Was it Roy driving in the photo?

Cheers

Mark