A World First

For those interested in competing 4 cylinder Morgans

Moderator: John Clarke

Simon Orebi Gann
Morgan Class C

A World First

Post by Simon Orebi Gann »

Goodwood, 2012, Fordwater Trophy: Entered are 3 Morgan SLRs and the Triumph SLR.

The four cars have never before been together, let alone in the same race.
john bevan

Re: A World First

Post by john bevan »

I'll make sure I come and watch Simon. Thanks for the tip!

John
Morgan Club Sport. The only way to drive to and from races!
Barry Sumner

Post by Barry Sumner »

Shame the Saturday is sold out – will have to make do with reports – Bob are you attending and will you be reporting on all the drama’s
Barry
John Emberson
Morgan Class B

Post by John Emberson »

Before we all get too excited can I just point out that even the "SLR-Meister" (Keith) is likely to struggle for a podium finish against the Lotus 26R's also in the Fordwater Trophy, especially as one driven by the not too shabby Jackie Oliver and another by Martin Stretton. Still, as Simon says it will be a fantastic spectacle to see all four SLR's in the same race so, let's hope for no mechanical issues and we'll need as much support as we can get!
John Emberson
TonyLees
Morgan Class B

Post by TonyLees »

I will be cheering from Loton Park - I hope you will be able to hear me. Best of luck chaps!
Andy Green
Morgan Class B

Post by Andy Green »

I will be cheering from the grandstand--whoopee
RICHARD PLANT
Morgan Class E

Post by RICHARD PLANT »

I'll be cheering from the Shears wedding, have fun =D>
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

Congrats to whichever Shears is getting married.

I am booked to be at Goodwood on the Friday with relations – what time is the SLRs practice ?
Andy Green
Morgan Class B

Post by Andy Green »

10.10am for 20 minutes
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

When my daughter and future son in law suggested Saturday 15th September I immediately said but that's Revival weekend and the Morgan boys are bound to be racing in the Fordwater Trophy...

My wife and daughter looked at me aghast and said '' You're joking right?''

Well what could the poor sap do?!

Anyway we will be thinking of you guys.

I wonder if there is a live feed from Goodwood...?!!!!
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Barry,
I will be there with camera poised. Trust that the four drivers will do the decent thing and drive round in line-abreast to make it easy for me. If anyone wants to say hello the best place would be to lurk around the media mess tent as I will be (sparingly) sampling Lord March's hospitality occasionaly.

Simon, John, at the Classic that John's SLR attracted a lot attention, and I think it would be nice to have some sort of information board with a short history of the cars (and pictures of course) i will happily make stab at it if someone would e-mail me a potted history.

Mark when my daughter Claire told me she was getting married on the weekend of the British Grand Prix, I nearly fell over! What sort of gratitude is that for nuturing and caring for your children for twenty odd years. I even had to leave the reception to dash back to Luton to broadcast to the nation, and found all of the buffet I had paid for gone!

Congrtulations on your wedding, but isn't it a bit late in the day?

Richard, you may care to take a look at the 'Historic Racing Today' forum on the ten tenths web site, Bentley Drivers Club meeting item.

Cheers,

Bob.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

Daughter Mark – does that mean a speech from you ?

And I know someone who can provide those big inflatables to liven up the venue
RICHARD PLANT
Morgan Class E

Post by RICHARD PLANT »

Hi Bob,
Many thanks for the info and the very kind comments it looks a great forum I must try and get Mike Bell to some Morgan meetings and get James to bring the Plus 8 out of retirement. I am planning to be at the HSCC finals meeting in the Plus 8 for the 70's Roadsports meeting so see you there if not before.
Regards
Richard
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

The Morgan SLR.
During the 1960’s Morgan racer, Chris Lawrence and Sprite tuner John Sprinzel collaborated on building a small number of cars for Group 4 GT Racing based on the Morgan + Four chassis and know as SLR’s. The intention was to take on the 2.0 litre Porsche 904, and thus the standard Morgan body was replaced by a sleek aluminium shell to improve the aerodynamics and together with engines tuned by Lawrence proved very competitive.
The original SLR was based on Gordon Spice’s Plus 4 and after Gordon Crashed at Goodwood required an extensive re-build. This is the red car currently owned and raced by Simon Orebi Gann.
The second car was built for Pip Arnold and was intended for long distance events, it is thought to be the car that Chris Lawrence drove in the Double ‘500’ at Brands Hatch in 1965. It is unpainted and has been since it’s debut at Spa in 1964, where legend has it that due to a lack of time it arrived in bare aluminium, and a group of local youngsters were paid to polish it before the race. Today the car is owned, and raced extensively in International events by John Emberson..
The third, and last Morgan based car was built for Chris Lawrence, primarily for marque racing, on the chassis of Peter Morgan’s works Plus 4 SS, and sometimes wore the famous number plate TOK 258. This is the dark green car owned by Keith Ahlers and is raced frequently by him in International historic meetings.
The fourth car built was based on a Triumph TR, and at the Revival Meeting will join the three Morgan based cars in the Fordwater Trophy, the first time all four cars will have been together either on or off the track.

This is my take on a simple explanation for the average spectator who will wonder what they are, which together with a few pictures should, hopefully, be sufficient, after all we are not trying to give a history lesson. I would like to include any suitable links or references so that people could follow up for themselves if interested.

The only thing I really know about the SLR's is the colours, so any suggestions will be very welcome, but do hurry as I shall be leaving for Goodwood very early on Friday.

Thanks.

Bob.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Malcolm Tatton
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Malcolm Tatton »

I'm certainly not an expert, in fact the first time that I saw the Triumph car was at Assen, but I'd been led to believe that the Triumph car was built first and the Morgans next (as the Morgan option offered an even lighter chassis).

Good to have seen 3 of the 4 at Assen, but won't be there to see all 4 together.

Malcolm
Last edited by Malcolm Tatton on Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.