A World First

For those interested in competing 4 cylinder Morgans

Moderator: John Clarke

Mark Shears

Re: A World First

Post by Mark Shears »

Yes I will be making the first speech as etiquette dictates!

I am not sure what Leigh is hinting at ...?!

In fact I was rather hoping Bob would be able to give me some tips!

Cheers

Mark
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

The Morgan SLR Version 2

The Morgan SLR.
During the 1960’s Morgan racer Chris Lawrence and John Sprinzel collaborated on building a small number of cars for Group 4 GT Racing with the intention of producing a car that could beat the 2.0 litre Porsche 911’s.
The first car built was based on a Sprinzel’s own Triumph TR4 chassis which proved unsatisfactory as Lawrence thought it 9” too short, and switched to the Morgan platform he knew so well. The standard Morgan body was replaced by a sleek aluminium shell by Williams and Pritchard to improve the aerodynamics and together with engines tuned by Lawrence proved very competitive in National races.
The second SLR was based on Gordon Spice’s Morgan Plus 4 and after Gordon crashed at Goodwood, on only it’s 3rd lap of testing, required an extensive re-build. This was not completed until the third and fourth cars were built, and is the red car currently owned and raced by Simon Orebi Gann.
The third car was built for Pip Arnold and was intended for long distance events, it is thought to be the car that Chris Lawrence drove in the Double ‘500’ at Brands Hatch in 1965. It is unpainted and has been since it’s debut at Spa in 1964, where legend has it that due to a lack of time it arrived in bare aluminium, and a group of local youngsters were paid to polish it before the race. Today the car is owned, and raced extensively in International events by John Emberson..
The fourth, and last Morgan based car was built for Chris Lawrence, primarily for marque racing, utilising the chassis of Peter Morgan’s works Plus 4 SS, and sometimes wore the famous number plate TOK 258. This is the dark green car owned by Keith Ahlers, and is raced frequently by him at International historic meetings.
It is only recently that all three Morgan based cars raced together, however, this will be the first chance to see all four cars on the grid at the same time.

This is not intended to be definitive history just a brief intro for gawpers.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Many thanks for your imput chaps, revised version;

Morgan SLR.
During the 1960’s Morgan racer, Chris Lawrence and John Sprinzel collaborated on building a small number of cars for Group 4 GT Racing with the intention of producing a car that could beat the 2.0 litre Porsche 911’s.
The first car was built for Neil Dangerfield and based on a Sprinzel’s own Triumph TR4 chassis, which proved unsatisfactory as Lawrence thought it 9” too short, and switched to the Morgan platform he knew so well for the later cars. The standard Morgan body was replaced by a sleek aluminium shell by Williams and Pritchard to improve the aerodynamics and together with engines tuned by Lawrence proved very competitive in National races.
The second SLR was based on Gordon Spice’s Morgan Plus 4 and after Gordon crashed at Goodwood, on only it’s 3rd lap of testing, required an extensive re-build. This was not completed until the third and fourth cars were built, and is the red car currently owned and raced by Simon Orebi Gann.
The third car was built for Pip Arnold and was intended for long distance events, it is thought to be the car that Chris Lawrence drove in the Double ‘500’ at Brands Hatch in 1965. It is unpainted and has been since it’s debut at Spa in 1964, where legend has it that due to a lack of time it arrived in bare aluminium, and a group of local youngsters were paid to polish it before the race. Today the car is owned, and raced extensively in International events by John Emberson..
The fourth and last Morgan based car was built for Chris Lawrence, primarily for marque racing, utilising the chassis of Peter Morgan’s works Plus 4 SS, and sometimes wore the famous number plate TOK 258. This is the dark green car owned by Keith Ahlers, and is raced frequently by him at International historic meetings.
It is only recently that all three Morgan based cars raced together, however, this will be the first chance to see all four cars on the grid at the same time.

Still no period picture?????

Just a couple would do.

Bob.
Regards
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi Bob,

I hope you have got your copy sorted on the SLRs.

If you have a chance would you be so kind as to pick me up a programme from this years Revival?

I have attended every one of them and keep the programmes out of interest but as you know I will not be able to attend this year - for reasons outside of my control!

I will settle up with you when I see you or will put a cheque in the post - whichever is soonest!

Have fun - and the same goes to everyone else going this year especially the Morgan SLR drivers.

Cheers

Mark
Barry Sumner

Post by Barry Sumner »

So how did all our intrepid pilots get on!!
Barry
Andy Green
Morgan Class B

Post by Andy Green »

I was at Goodwood for practice and the race

The actual detailed times are available via TSL/Goodwood website

However John Emberson was the fastest in practice followed by Keith and Simon

From the grid Keith made a great start,John was held up just a little and Simon was ahead of the "other" SLR

This order was maintained for all the race and the cars all got home without too many incidents

The weather was fine--hope it stays the same for Spa
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

I have just about recovered from an arduous weekend at Goodwood, which meant very early starts to the day to avoid massive queques with the resultant missing of events. Personally I arrived at the circuit before 6.0am each day preferring to sit in the car for an hour and a half until the gates opened rather than sit in traffic for hours and then being parked half a mile or more away with along walk - not too bad in the morning perhaps, but a real bind in the dark after a hard day tramping about the place.

It was great to see the four SLRs side-by-side in the paddock together with the assorted mechanics, drivers, wives and hangers-on, not to mention the spectating Morgan types calling in. A Potter, L Sebba etc.

John did indeed out qualify Keith proving just how much he has improved in the last year or so, but as Andy pointed out a reluctant Marcos allowed Mr Ahlers to out drag the silver car off the line. Overtaking is not easy at Goodwood, and the penalty for getting it wrong can be quite severe as the banks are not far away, and very solid, Keith had to battle past a few cars early on while John found himself stuck behind a Ferrari (difficult to pass with so much grunt) and with Cottingham's MGB glued to his boot lid, he coped extremely well with the pressure from the MG but could never relax. Eighth and 10th were excellent results given the opposition. Simon starting further back was somewhat stranded amongst a group of slower cars coming home in 17th spot, BUT ahead of the blue Triumph specimen. This car carrying a sticker with the legend I.N.A.B.M. translating as "I'm not a bloody Morgan."

All-in-all a great weekend with plenty of sun available, and while the massive crowds meant moving around the paddock was a pain, at least everyone was smiling and it was easy to strike up a conversation with complete strangers at almost any time.

I am working on pictures, and am astounded to find that I have over 1500 to review (not all Morgans), but will get some up tomorrow on the Skydrive site, and yes Mark I have your programme.
Do you want me to post it or will you pick it up at HSCC/Birkett?

Bob.
Regards
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Great review Bob - almost like being there! Look forward to seeing the photos...

If the weather was anything like we had in South Warwickshire on Saturday it would have been fantastic.

Thanks for picking up a Revival program for me and I will pick it up from you at the HSCC meeting if that is ok.

Cheers

Mark
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Look forward to seeing the photos...

As I'm sure we all do, of yours! 8-)
Regards
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

I'll bore you at Silverstone when I see you next!

The proud father of the bride...!
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Pictures from the Fordwater Trophy are now on Morgan Skydrive.
Regards
John Emberson
Morgan Class B

Post by John Emberson »

Bob,

Thanks for your very kind comments about the Fordwater Trophy (the cheque is in the post)........ :)

It was a great race for me and although I was quicker than the Ferrari 275 through Lavant up to Woodcote I just couldn't bring myself to try a do or die manoeuvre with the words of the Clerk of the Course ringing in my ears reminding me that Goodwood keep a record on all drivers & any contact would mean no more invites! As James Gateson said, where else would you get that close to a Ferrari that actually raced at Le Mans in period.

Thanks for all the support from everyone who attended and the SLR battles will continue to be waged across Europe for the rest of the season - Spa this weekend (Keith & Simon), Paul Ricard in early October (me & Keith) and Portimao in late October (all 3).
John Emberson
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

John,
A certain other SLR driver was also complimentary about your driving, so I am not alone in my opinion, better make it two cheques!!

The pictures were from qualifying and I have now added the race snaps to the album, hope you like some of the action shots, which show hard hard you and Cottingham were trying. Note the front wheels off the ground!!

You are right about the Clerk OTC. some very well known drivers have found to their cost that you must not be too agressive.

It's alright for you drivers, pity poor James, Billy and Brett who could not load and leave until well after racing on Sunday making for a very long weekend. Sorry I can't make it to Spa, I will leave it to Catherine to take the pics.

Best of luck to all Morgan drivers in Belgium.

Bob.

Note to Mark; Did I ever show you the pictures I took at MY daughters wedding? (Where, by the way, I was banned form making a speech!!!!)
Regards
Andrew Potter

Post by Andrew Potter »

Good to see you,too,Bob,especially before 8 in the morning,and all the Morganistas. Good clean racing in the Fordwater, but to my mind there was too much damage in total over the weekend. For instance, the Bryant's Cobra,(just one example),which has only in the last few weeks been returned to pristine condition after a certain Mr. Berger severely damaged it at the Revival last year,found itself in the same position again after being run into in practice last Friday. Once again the car will be out of action for many months. And as for the damage done at the start of the Richmond and Gordon Trophy which took out 5 or 6 expensive machines.............
Not sure which way you go in to the circuit as a Press man, Bob, but I reach the circuit at 7, and have found it easier to go into the 'Over the Road' field, which doesn't need a ticket to enter, and wait at the bottom of the bridge which goes over the road to the circuit. There's far less of a queue, and I'm in far quicker! I like to go through the paddock,down to the Spitfire Cafe, and have breakfast outside while the Spitfires and Mustangs are woken up.
With best wishes to all.
Andrew P
Tony Oliver

Post by Tony Oliver »

Hi
It was wonderfull to see all SLR's out and a great weekend. Can anyone clarify which SLR was registered as 581 DOK as shown in the Roger Bell book Morgans to 1969?
Tony