ex-John McKechnie 1964 4/4

For those interested in competing 4 cylinder Morgans

Moderator: John Clarke

Tim Harper
Anti spam question: MSA

ex-John McKechnie 1964 4/4

Post by Tim Harper »

I have owned ADF 736B (ex-John McKechnie and Harvey Postlethwaite) for the last 40 yrs and have finally summoned the financial courage to have it restored. I bought the car in Aberdeen in 1974 after it had been rolled in a cabbage field. Any information, stories, pictures would be most welcome - it took me ages to determine that the entry of Cedar Motor House in the log book was related to John McKechnie. In particular, I would like to restore the paintwork to the original colours - does anyone have any colour photos, please? I saw the splendid black and white photos on this site and several comments suggested that some of you may have more information. I am trying to put together a dossier to describe the history so please let me know of anything which may be available and how it might be accessed. Please help if you can.
Mark Shears

Re: ex-John McKechnie 1964 4/4

Post by Mark Shears »

Brilliant news Tim!

Another old (racing) Morgan resurfaces after many years. Another " Where are they now?" discovered.

There are lots of pictures of your car available through Ted Walker at Ferret Photographic - I only saw some at the NEC Classic Car Show last November.

However they are all in black and white!

Richard Plant, fellow old Morgan buff, may have some colour shots as I know he has some lovely period photographs of your car. But I don't think it will be a problem to get the original colour scheme confirmed and the paint matched.

Happy to be of any help - you can always PM me.

Cheers

Mark
Jim Lowry

Post by Jim Lowry »

I'm not sure how polite or correct it is to point readers in the direction of another forum website, hopefully in this case it might be justified. The following link has many interesting period pictures and it would appear one of the Morgans pictured is the John McKechnie car. Mark will be able to confirm.

See; http://forums.autosport.com/topic/17725 ... n-the-60s/

Many excellent pictures of some historic race cars.

So that's what they looked like ????

Cheers

Jim

-
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi Jim,

Yes it is John McKechnie in his immaculate silver/dark blue hardtop 4/4 with 1500 cc pre-crossflow engine.

Indeed the programme confirms this.

Every other entry in the under 1600 cc class was made up of Lotus Elans and all the cars below this were Lotus Elites so John would have been really up against it in his little 4/4!

Interesting to see the two photographs of Plus Fours.

I thought I recognised the first car no 44 and then I saw Morgan number 47 which I am pretty sure is 37 CYT driven by Christopher Stewart.

Great pictures...

Cheers

Mark
Tim Harper
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Tim Harper »

All,
All helpful and splendid pictures. I now have many more pictures than before and please continue to send or refer me elsewhere for more pictures, programmes or anything else relevant to the McKechnie (or Postlethwaite) days.

I would like to copy the silver (and wheels) as closely as possible, so can anyone, please, anywhere, help with one or more colour photographs??? I have one post AMOC relay race but cannot tell whether a blue tinge in the silver in this photo is the true colour or the influence of a blue sky. Frustrating! Please help if you can.
Tim
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

You could try asking Mike Duncan, he might remember.