Period Morgan racing pics I have not seen previously....

For those interested in competing 4 cylinder Morgans

Moderator: John Clarke

simon king

Period Morgan racing pics I have not seen previously....

Post by simon king »

Happy New Year!
Courtesy of the VSCC December newsletter I came across this site today https://revslib.stanford.edu that has a fantastic selection of period photos of different marques in competition. A search for Morgan https://revslib.stanford.edu/?_=1420477 ... r_page=100returned 67 pics which can be zoomed into to reveal some really good detail and most of the pictures I had not seen before. The photos include:
- VNO 600 (Snetterton - April '53)
- HUY 982 - July '54 then June '58 sporting a blister on the bonnet for better accommodating the twin SUs?
- 170 GWP - Bill Blydenstein at Spa 500Km (May '63)
- TOK 258 - Chris Lawrence, Goodwood - winning the BARC Marque sports car championship (Sept '59)
- Drive train of the Triumph Engine, Twin 42 Webers, 4-2-1 Exhaust, Moss Box - October 1960 - the birth of Super Sports? see page 9 of our new favourite reading - The LawrenceTune Years.
- KUY 387 (?) - Rob Lawrie at Le Mans June '52 - unfortunately it seems just after the engine's failed.
- Some pictures of George Waltman running at the Daytona 24hrs (see page 10 of "where are they now?" for story)

Hope you find them as interesting as I did...

Simon
Mark Shears

Re: Period Morgan racing pics I have not seen previously....

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi Simon,

Ted Walker of Ferret Fotographic recommended it to me when I saw him at the Classic Car Show at the NEC in November .

I have been liaising with Scott George who is the curator in the hope they had some pictures of KUY 475.

They hold the George Phillips collection and he was chief photographer for Autosport magazine.

They have several other fantastic collections which they are putting on to the internet so I can recommend it to anyone doing research into our sort of cars.

If anyone needs further contact details let me know.

See you on the 17th.

Cheers

Mark