YOM 798

For those interested in competing 4 cylinder Morgans

Moderator: John Clarke

Tony Quinn
Anti spam question: MSA

YOM 798

Post by Tony Quinn »

Hello,

About six months ago I acquired a 1959 Plus 4 2-seater registration YOM 798 and wonder if anyone can assist in filling a gap in its history.

YOM was purchased new by Brian Harper of Cannock, Staffs who bougfht it to replace an earlier Plus 4 that he rallied. He rallied YOM from 1959 with success until mid-1961 when he sold it to Peter Astbury, also of Cannock. Astbury rallied YOM until late 1963. Its history includes a couple of outright wins, a sprinkling of class awards plus four RAC rallies (no awards). All this is recounted in The Heritage Years and The LawrenceTune Years. I have spoken with Jake Alderson who has been super helpful with additional photos from its glory days.

YOM was exported to USA in 1975 and the last tax disc (which came with the car) is dated Nov 1974.

Does anyone know anything of its history between 1964 and 1974?

I have some photos and have tried to upload them, but they exceed the 12KB limit. If anyone can advise how to reduce their file size, I'll gladly share.

Tony Quinn
Nailsea
North Somerset
Mark Shears

Re: YOM 798

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi Tony,

Sorry for the late reply but I have been trying to dig into the post '64 history of YOM but like you have drawn a blank.

What a good buy though...

Unless of course like my '52 Flat Rad it needs completely rebuilding?!

Unfortunately Jake and Chris Chapman are not going to extend their wonderful books beyond 1964 so we are left high and dry!

However you might try Ted Walker at Ferret Fotographic.

As you may know he has a fantastic archive of period photos you can buy off him and there will almost certainly be some of YOM.

What will be interesting is if there are any post '64 photos...

Cheers

Mark
Tony Quinn
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Tony Quinn »

Thanks for your efforts Mark, but there may be little info post-1963 because YOM was well and truly kippered after all the rallies and may have been put in a shed for some years. The pics of it on the '63 RAC show the bodywork to be a bit secondhand as, at one point, Peter Astbury stuffed it into a hedge at a T junction damaging the centre spotlight and front wings.

The factory record card shows it had a new chassis in Nov 61. I think that is the chassis still on the car. Fortunately it's still in good condition with a telescopic damper set-up. The engine number matches the factory record. The wooden frame seems to have been replaced with the exception of the door frames and it was fitted with new steel front and rear wings so it is in good shape overall. But the electrics were mainly non functioning and during the rebuild it had been fitted with later indicator and rear light units - early 70s? I have replaced these with period items, got the dash back to as it would have been, sourced a front bumper and the correct spotlights - correct that is for 1960 rallies; it's appearance changed year by year. I've done about 500 miles so far with the usual teething issues. It feels quicker than my '54 Plus 4 (which has a TR4A engine) particularly it's willingness to rev, but not so smooth until the engine gets above 3,000 when it becomes much smoother. The gearbox is lovely and the back axle is quiet with no slack in it. So it was quite a relief having bought it unseen.

I will try Ted Walker. Good tip.

Tony
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi Tony,

My Flat Rad had been a competition car all its life (KUY 475) so it was well past its sell-by date - a bit like YOM. So I know just what you mean!

Great to hear YOM is enjoying a new lease of life and look forward to meeting you both perhaps at a race circuit somewhere this season?

Cheers

Mark