Morgan +4 flat rad 'supersports'

For those interested in competing 4 cylinder Morgans

Moderator: John Clarke

John Clarke
Anti spam question: MSA

Morgan +4 flat rad 'supersports'

Post by John Clarke »

Was there such a thing? OK, well not an official supersports

Apparently, Chris Lawrence used a flat rad +4 to install his experimental engines as access in a flat rad was much easier than in cowled models.

My collection of Morgan books are crossing the Tasman sea so cannot verify this. Fact or fiction?

The red Chris Lawrence flat rad lined up behind my old supersports

Photo courtesy of Oliver Daschler owner of the blue supersports

cheers
john
8-)
Mark Shears

Re: Morgan +4 flat rad 'supersports'

Post by Mark Shears »

Happy New Year John.

Hope you and the family had a good Christmas.

It looks like a drophead coupe too...?!

All the best for 2022.

Cheers,

Mark
John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

More info on the Lawrence tune flat rad coupe. I received this as a pdf in German. Someone maybe able to decipher?

If you PM me I can send you the pdf.

cheers
john
8-)
John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

I received this translation from our man in Switzerland with a little help from google translate

PLUS DHC4 - THE FLAT RAD FROM THE KUCHE
BY CHRIS LAWRENCE

In our portrait series about very special Morgan models owned by MCS members, Peter Metz'
Plus DHC4 is presented this time. This is the oldest Plus 4 registered in Switzerland. What makes it stand out is the fact that it is the oldest Plus 4.

Thanks to "Lawrence Tuning", it has the same technical features as Chris Lawrence later used in TOK 258, his famous Le Mans race car.

'Peter's Darling - "watch out for the doors opening to the back!"

Allow me, Morgan. Model Plus DHC4, chassis number P2730 , vintage DHC1953, or Drop Head Coupe... I am thus a cross between Coupe and a roadster and accordingly have a "head" that one can "drop" it when needed!.

In contrast to the Roadster, I have a partially openable canopy (open in the front, closed in the back), so that I can also be listed as "Targa".This property can of course be for the other DHCs – that makes me really special.

Teasing oldie details:
• the still more or less serviceable direction indicators.

• Double spare cd-plate1 as a trademark of fresh Malvern products
(cf.RogerBtlnisPlus4of1956h inten

• Experimental front axle with disc brakes a la Plus4 SuperSports

Prehistory
In 1936, the first four -wheelers rolled out of the Malvern Link factory. Fifteen years later, the
Morgan 4-4 got a more stylish brother called Plus 4 with a standard Vanguard engine (2088 cc). I myself am one of the last Plus 4s to be born with the flat radl face of the first generation (flat grille).

My first owner already took advantage of my sporting genes by taking me to trials. However, I can hardly remember my early years. This may be due to the fact that I underwent a major operation at Lawrence's clinic around 1960. In particular, it involved a heart transplant that replaced the original engine (number V.631ME) with a new one.

The engine was a very special one, as dad Chris was able to get it from Triumph for the purpose of
racing- meaty optimism. For several years, the company Lawrence Tune was fiddling around until the matured version was available in 1961 under the designation "Plus 4 Super Sports" which could be ordered directly from the factory. Only 104 examples of this "super sports car" were built between 1961 and 1968. They were mainly used in racing and are sold today at prices starting at about CHF 80,000. Optimally prepared racing versions can hardly be found for less than CHF 100,000 - if you can find such a car at all!

The Plus 4 Super Sports (+4SS) was initially available in the milder version of the normal Plus 4,
and from 1963 also in the somewhat lower version derived from the 4/4. Usually the TR3 and TR4
engines were used with 2.2 litres, but for racing reasons some were content with 1999cc.

The car was available from the factory thanks to the engine, with its special camshaft, Weber 42DCOE type twin carburettors, etc., had a power output of about hp120 at a speed of 5500 rpm and, above all, excellent torque. With the four-gear Moss transmission (1st gear unsynchronisedl) the top speed was 190 km/h.

At the beginning of the 1960s, the stylish +4SS produced up to 150 hp. In combination with a mild,
lightweight all-aluminium body and disc brakes, the +4SS was quite capable of keeping up with a Jaguar E-Type on some race tracks. Thanks to better materials and further optimisations, today, the +4SS 258 produces about 190 hp on the road and continues to take class victories at historic
events such as the Le Mans Classic, the 6-hour race at Spa Francorchamp and the Nurburgring..The fact that I was equipped early on with brake discs at the front and with the same suspension as my famous colleague TOK 258 leads to certain rumours that the Le Mans team used me as a test subject in the development of their racing cars.

I am easily recognisable by my bonnet with its two large air scoops, one of which ensures sufficient air supply for my carburettors. Why I - in contrast to all the other +4SS - also have such a dent on the left is a mystery to me. After living in London, Bath, Dublin and Lancashire, I came into the possession of Peter Metzin 1993. I don't mind admitting that I liked my English number plate better than the jelly ZH number plate. But what the heck, I feel at home in Switzerland – not least because of Peter's incredible excursions across half of Europe - and stick to the old adage that home is where the heart is.

Peter and Elsbeth have kindly ensured that I am not completely forgotten in my country of birth. Not only did they help me to obtain the internationally recognised FIVA (Federation Internationale des
Vehicules Anciens) veteran's card and put me on the register of the British Morgan Sports Car Club, but they also occasionally allowed me to go on excursions to the island.

The wood dashboard with stylish instruments and knobs, as well as an authentic Brooklands steering wheel. The intake manifolds are proof of the engine's origin from the fine forge of Chris Lawrence. The Triumph engine with the light twin Weber carburettors and the magnificent, "handmade" water equalisation tank on the other side.

4 DHC "flat rad" (P2730) in brief
Manufacture1953 and first delivery to Maskells in London
Engine: Triumph TR3 (No. X773E). 1999 cc. approx. 125hp
Body: Drop Head Coupe (DHC), red (original colour: blue)

Engine, front axle and brakes Lawrence Tune a la Plus 4 Super Sports:
Wheels/ Tyres:16 inch steel rims, tyre size 16x5,25
According to the Morgan archaeologist Hermen Pol, I am probably the only drop head Coupe which is fuelled by a LawrenceTune engine
Weight : 940 kg

All very interesting. thanks for the translation Oliver

cheers
john
8-)
machiel kalf

Post by machiel kalf »

Hallo all,

To my opinion this is a +4 DHC with an after market LT-engine. Over the years many Morgans received modifications. This is one of many.

Machiel.
machiel kalf

Post by machiel kalf »

Hallo,

Later I noticed in the translated text the they talked about "the fact" that this is the only DHC with an LT-engine. That isn't right. I should check my Super Sports archive, but I thought that the factory delivered 4 of them. The same situation with 4-seaters. I have personally seen a +4+ that arrived at a dealer for a restoration job: The engine was partly dis-assembled: for sure the LT-cylinder head and LT-inlet manifolds incl. 42DCOE Webers where part of it as well. I think that was an after market product. Machiel
PS. I think I can find the photos in my archive!
Eddie Singleton

Post by Eddie Singleton »

Hello Machiel,
Morgan diversity always throws up interesting issues and discussion, and the postings on 'Morgan +4 flat rad supersports' is no exception.

Just following up on the points made in your posting, I have looked at the data included in Ken Hill's 'Completely Morgan' and according to factory records :-

- there were 4 Plus 4 Super Sports (works recognised) but interestingly each car is described as 'S/Sports Coupe'. The chassis numbers are 5398 (colour black and sent to Germany), 5611 (black, Holland), 5730 (green, USA) and 5734 (jasmine yellow, Canada).
Interestingly numbers 5398, 5611 and 5730 are registered on the GoMog website but not as DHC's, simply 'Plus 4 SS'. Assuming the registry to be current, numbers 5398 and 5611 still reside in Germany and Holland respectively, with 5730 stated as Westminster Green and residing in the UK.
I could not find number 5734 but may have missed it !!

- back to Ken Hill's data he records 6 DHC Plus 4 'Lawrencetune-engined' cars "which, for various reasons are not regarded by the Morgan Motor Company as true Super Sports".

- as previously suggested, it is reasonable to assume there exist other DHC's with some form of Lawrencetune treatment.

- looking through my photographic record, I came across one such car, registered 1968, MOC155F. I photographed it at Silverstone in August 1976. It was advertised for sale in Cumbria in 2013, and is currently taxed to August 2022. This is an extract from the advert "There are quite a few plus 4 coupes in existence but this was the only Lawrence Tuned example ever made to this specification - high lift cam, polished head, four branch exhaust stainless steel system which was specifically made for the car etc. This Morgan was not quite to super sport spec.....standard carbs etc etc"

So there we have it, still much to get to know !!
machiel kalf

Post by machiel kalf »

Hallo Edie! Thanks for your response.

Yes, belief me, it never stops to intrigue Morgan owners.

What I will advice everybody who is interested, please, have a look in the 1962 MMC sales brochure. There you find a page that tells you that is was possible to order the Morgan you prefer could be the way you like. Very special, at the last page of the brochure, you find the option that you could order the Plus 4 with a what they call "Super Sports" engine. The rest of the car, for example the standard Plus 4 body, was part of the normal order.

With other words, if you loved to order a 4-seater, of a DHC with a "Super Sports"engine, no problem.

Later, after LM62, they won the 2 litre class with a Series IV body, what we call now a "low line body", it was a car model that wasn't in the sales brochure. From that moment on the MMC started with advertising the +4 Super Sports as an official model. Always as a 2-seater.

But, as you can understand, the customer is 'King" and business is business, if a new order came in for a +4 DHC and the customer asked for a "Super Sports" engine,......... they build that specific car.

Eddie, I checked my archive and found some extra information about chassis numbers 5730 and 5734. The last one showed me a photo with an LT-engine with a set of 40 DCOE Webers. NOT 42's.
I think that what you found in Ken Hills Register, that it's OK.

In the many conversations I had with Chris Lawrence, once he told me that they tuned more than 400 TR-engines. We know that the MMC used, let's say 104 of them. The rest went to other car brands like Triumph, Peerless etc.

Best wishes, Machiel.