Where are they Now?

For those interested in competing 4 cylinder Morgans

Moderator: John Clarke

Guy Loveridge

Re: Where are they Now?

Post by Guy Loveridge »

Hi all,

In time I'll address some of these things - using Jim Tucker's notes. The Kendal car crashed whilst trying to hold Jim off at Silverstone, for example.

Also, the oft used pic of John McDonald "Leading" the Tucker car, is actually Jim passing John down the inside on his way to winning the BDC Morgan race......

Can anyone tell me how to post pictures on here as I have a LOT which would be of interest! Particularly #4840 as JHX 142 B in action in Italy, without a hard top!

ATB

Guy Loveridge
Roger Bonsall

Post by Roger Bonsall »

Hi Guy

Re 'the Kendall car', do you mean the EX Kendall (and Dence) car 818AOA - presumably in Alan House's hands? When? Do you know if it was serious and therefor probably not worth reparing? Any other info would be very welcome as I've drawn a complete blank after late 1965.

Thanks.

Roger.
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Let me know how you get on Mark, if you can't find yours I have the 6 hour programmes dating back to 1972 in my archives somewhere in the garage and will dig them out.
Guy Loveridge

Post by Guy Loveridge »

ALSO - has anyone any recollections of a 1956 +4 - Registered 700 GNV?

It's now my Dad's, having been Rory Stringer's until 1996. BUT - it was the Morgan Factory Doctors' car, allegedly, and was trialled extensively.........
Chris Acklam
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Chris Acklam »

Guy Loveridge wrote:Can anyone tell me how to post pictures on here as I have a LOT which would be of interest!
See if this helps
Chris
Guy Loveridge

Post by Guy Loveridge »

Thanks Chris - I wonder if this works?

[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/46885446@N ... 369131/img]

It ought to show #4840 when owned by the Stapletons, taking part in Italy, driven by the tragically killed in that aircraft crash, Richard Lloyd.
Chris Acklam

Post by Chris Acklam »

Nope - for a couple of reasons.

1) You have given the web address for the page not the photo - the photo's address is

Code: Select all

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4072/4361369131_98e1b7e75b.jpg
and
2) you are missing a square bracket before the closing image tag (as suggested, paste the web address on to the page and then click on the IMG button - it will put in the opening and closing tags for you).

You can tell whether it works or not by using the Preview button before posting.

The photo you were referencing is this one:

Chris
Guy Loveridge

Post by Guy Loveridge »

Thanks Chris,

BUT - you seem to be assuming I know what you are talking about? "Click the Img tag?" Not a clue what that means. More luddite than techno-whzz!

I've got a lot of colour shots of 1960's Morgan races, all ex-Jim Tucker, will work through if anyone is particularly interested?

GL
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

“If of any interest the car I had before ALT was 405 FXO (1959 highline) bought from Gerry Marshall at the infamous Barnet Motor Co”

Bruce – was this infamous garage in Teple Fortune (Golders Green) area where there is a Waitrose now I think ? I recall calling in there perhaps late 60s or early 1970s and there was a race +4 in there for sale
Guy Loveridge

Post by Guy Loveridge »

Hi Leigh!

At one point, Gerry HAD both TOK 258 and XRX 1 for sale and advertised, as well as having JHX 142 B on his stock lists. I have copies of Gerry's stock books, having executed the sale of his estate after his sad passing. This was when he traded as "Marshall Wingfield" - his one time business partner, Mr Wingfield, was killed in the early 1970's in a single seater accident at Thruxton.

Guy
E Jeffries

Post by E Jeffries »

Guy Loveridge wrote:
At one point, Gerry HAD both TOK 258 and XRX 1 for sale and advertised, as well as having JHX 142 B on his stock lists.
An interesting and rather ironic point to add, JHX 142 B was originally registered as XRX 1 and then TOK 258.
Roger Bonsall

Post by Roger Bonsall »

So was that one car or three cars that Gerry had in stock ... ?!

Incidentally, I raced against Gerry on quite a few occassions. When he wasn't in front of me he was about to be. Following him was to witness the ultimate in car control.

Roger.
E Jeffries

Post by E Jeffries »

Three different cars. To clarify, JHX 142B is Super Sports #4840. Its original registration was XRX 1 (May 1961). Late 1961 there was a registration swap and it became TOK 258. During the summer of 1964 the car was sold and the registration was changed yet again, this time to JHX 142 B which it has had since.
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

All fascinating stuff for us historic Plus 4 anoraks!

Chris I have looked in my 1975 Birkett programme to see if the printers reference the cover picture showing 818 AOA. Sadly not.

Mary, I wonder if you would be so kind as to see if there is a picture in the 1974 or even 1973 programme?

Keep on sleuthing!

Cheers

Mark
Roger Bonsall

Re: Where are they Now? - 818AOA

Post by Roger Bonsall »

Just to more or less complete the story of this car ...

Thanks to Guy Loverage's eagle eye applied to Jim Tucker's apparently very comprehensive notes, it would appear almost certain that 818AOA was invoved in a monumental shunt at Siverstone in, Guy thinks, around 1967. It would appear to have been in the rain in a Fred Dixon or Amasco round and Alan House attempted to get past Jim Tucker. "He lost it, rolled, passing over the bonnet of Jim's car, and, in effect wrote the car off." It sounds like 'RU' had a narrow squeak!

This ties in with Brian Kendall's memory of being told that the car had been written off not long after he sold it (July 1965).

The 'red herrings' arise I think partly because it was easy in those days to play games with log books and registration numbers (e.g. TOK etc!) and also House and North often the number MOG1 on their various cars - although I don't think this was ever a legit number.

Guy has kindly agreed to check the actual date from the Tucker archive for me and I wait impatiently for that final detail to complete the story. However, I gather John Alderson has a lot of information about the car in Adrian Dence's ownership which will doubtless be published in due course.

Roger.