Where are they Now?

For those interested in competing 4 cylinder Morgans

Moderator: John Clarke

Ken Foley
Anti spam question: MSA

Re: Where are they Now?

Post by Ken Foley »

Good Morning Bruce,
Peter Marten tells that the hardtop was bought from Neil Dangerfields brother and was, as you mention, from a TR3.
It was too wide and modified by Chris Lawrence by "cutting and shutting".
The brown stripe down the middle of the black top was to cover up the join!!!
Peter Marten and Richard Sheppard-Barron confirm that Choc Ices was the development car for the "SuperSports" Model that Morgan introduced, so it was an early Lawrence Car!
I remember distinctly the roof lining was very poorly done and hung down in places!!! We felt the top was so ill fitting it spoilt the look of the car.
I seem to recall the hardtop languishing in the apex of my garage for some time, but, what became of it, I have no idea.
After the rebuild, following Bills shunt at Goodwood, the car was never raced again with the hard top.
It would not have fitted anyway over the roll cage which was bespoke made.
We had a beautiful tonneau cover made and fitted as the attached photo shows.
"Yours truly giving Choc ices some stick through Woodcote at Silverstone 21.10.68!
The car was not sold with the hardtop in 1970/71.
Best Regards,
Ken
Attachments
kfmorg0001.jpg
kfmorg0001.jpg (116.35 KiB) Viewed 7954 times
machiel kalf

Post by machiel kalf »

Dear Mark and All,.

The car in Marks list, VOC 365 is in the good hand of Fiete van der Grinten. He lives very nearby the Dutch border, but just in Germany. I know that for the right money this car is for sale.
If someone is interested, I give you the address of Fiete van der Grinten.

Best regards, Machiel.
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

I came across an odd copy of the Autosport while clearing out the loft, it is dated June 30th. 1977 (cost 30p!) it contains a report of the St. John Horsfall Meeting run at Silverstone by the AMOC, and amongst the pictures is a shot of Ferrari 375 Grand Prix car alongside what appears to be a Jaguar engined Special if memory serves. In the background is a Morgan. There is no mention of either car in the report. The Mog is dark coloured and carries number 12.
In the same issue you could have bought a 1976 +8 in immaculate condition for £6000.

A short report on the BARC Yorkshire Centre Novices Vintage and Historic Meeting at Harewood. "A good number of Morgans turned with Mike Hall winning the Plus 8 class and Loll Ryan (Family Four) scoring the day's most popular result by winning the ten car four-cylinder class."

Memories, memories. I will leave it to Mark and Machiel to sort it all out.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

machiel, I have sent you a private message
peter
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

Peter - going historic ??

Bob - In 1976 / 1977 a brand new +8 was around £6k.

Unfortunately as I recall a genuine 60s Cobra or pre war race Bentley was about the same price and I went for the Mog.

(But I met so many lovely people through having the Mog) :)
Lester Welton

Post by Lester Welton »

I'm prompted to post this after just enjoying john Clarkes second "adventure" book and prompted to more reading & searching

This is a "where was it then?" post.

My 1952 +4 (chassis P2331) was, according to the factory records, originally a 1952 chassis delivery to Basil Roy and is now resident of Victoria, Australia, and I have history back to the early 70s.

In the early 70s a Patrick Rowe from near Peterborough owned it for a while. Then an australian Brian Wilson bought it in "tired condition" "looked as though it had previously been raced" from John Britten motors - salesman Chris Alford - in 1974. It was registered MYP338 and had a TR4 engine and fibreglass wings by then. A couple of years later Brian took it to Singapore ( & ran a bit in Malaysian classics) then eventually Sydney and on to me.

Some of the members on this forum seem to have great stores/recalls of numbers, so, here's hoping that Brians impression that it'd been raced might yield some record.

- Does anyone have any info on it pre 1974?
- would MYP338 be its original registration plate ?
Andy Downes

Post by Andy Downes »

Hello All,

I've been hoping to resurrect this thread for a while and having just re-read all 16 pages !! here we go.

Does anyone have anything about 214 CTG a +4 standard bodied car ?

It has a proper LT Hradtop and the superports type bonnet scoop, perhaps a road car as it sports a GB sticker on the rear.

I will ask Machiel Kalf if he 's happy for me to post the photograph, it's a dark coloured car with a white hardtop, wire wheels and sports its registration number across the top of the cowl. Interestingly on the back of the photograph Machiel tells me it reads "Please return to: Lawrence Tune Engines Ltd, 69a Avenue Road, London W3...".

An early publicity shot for the pre-Supersports, LT-tuned +4 perhaps ?

Have Fun 8-)

Andy

Image Image
'Skipper'
Andy Downes

Post by Andy Downes »

Andy Downes wrote:On the subject in the title - Gordon Spice drove a Lawrencetune Morgan +4 in 1963/1964 with a Reg No. starting '58' or '56' or possibly '50' can anyone enlighten me with any information on this car. I believe it came from 'The Chequered Flag' in Chiswick and was dark blue.
I know it's a long time since I posted this query, but having recently (last night) re-read this whole thread (!) I thought I would answer my own question.

The Registration Number was 581 DOK and it was Gordon Spice's personal car that became an SLR in 1964 (now owned by Simon OG) and was immediately written off by Gordon himself first time out at Goodwood !

Have Fun 8-)
Andy

'Skipper'
machiel kalf

Post by machiel kalf »

Hi Andy,

I shall have a look in my archive. I have the feeling that there is something in it.............

I'll come back to you as soon as possible,

Machiel.
Eddie Singleton

Post by Eddie Singleton »

To Andy Downes, you were asking about the +4 registered 214 CTG. I have 4 photographs from my +4 collection of this car back in the 1970's :-

- the first one is at Curborough sprint on 20 July 1975, red in colour, no front bumper, soft top and bonnet scoop....car had competitive look.

- Oulton Park, June 1976, different looking, almost standard road going, suspect it had been resprayed, no scoop (new bonnets?), front bumper etc.

- next 2 photos at Silverstone BDC, August 1978, same features as Oulton.

Car not currently registered on DVLA. Don't know if the information above is of interest, but it is what I have. Sorry, do not have a clue how to upload pictures from the the hard copy photos I have.

Eddie Singleton.
machiel kalf

Post by machiel kalf »

Dear Eddie,

Let me start with: Good to hear from you!

Nice to let me/ us know that you have the photos of this car. Is it possible for you to make a scan and send it to me? machielkalf@ziggo.nl

Many thanks,

Machiel.
Andy Downes

Post by Andy Downes »

Eddie Singleton wrote:- next 2 photos at Silverstone BDC, August 1978, same features as Oulton.
Eddie Singleton.
Thanks Eddie, at least we have something to go on - no apologies necessary.

I was at BDC in 1978 but at that time I only had eyes for JEK, Mary Lindsay's Moss box +8 :)

Stupidly I threw out all my BDC programs some years ago :oops: :oops: :oops: Can you let me have the competition number on the car in the BDC photos please.

However it shouldn't take too much much effort now. Let me know if you want some help with the photos.

Many Thanks
Andy

PS - Where are you in the country ?
'Skipper'
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

I have some race / sprint programs and results for around 1971 – 1976 for ‘Morgan events’ when I competed in my 4/4
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

So do I, happy to look.
machiel kalf

Post by machiel kalf »

Dear Mary and Leigh,

Yes, please, have a look. Maybe the car pops up and we know who the driver/ owner was. How interesting the history of Morgans can be!

Thanks for your response,

Machiel.