no fan belt
no fan
1 cylinder again
no clutch bearing
stuck in 4th
only half throttle
.. but I soldiered on
what was Mary,s excuse
(i think Barry was also quicker than me )
jack
Bob Bull

Re: Deck Chairs and Bumble Bees

Post by Bob Bull »

jack bellinger wrote:I was unlucky ..
my excuses..
No clutch.
1 cylinder
no petrol
alternator went pop
no lights
jumping out of 3rd gear
no fan belt
no fan
1 cylinder again
no clutch bearing
stuck in 4th
only half throttle
.. but I soldiered on
Jack,
Perhaps a bit more soldering and a bit less soldiering may have yielded a better result?
Mary Lindsay wrote:what were you doing watching Anglia TV and being disloyal to your Three Counties?????
Mary,
Even here in Western Luton we receive Anglia TV and I watched it especially to see the item on the Snet 24, and was so pleased to catch a glimpse of the black number 77 on track. I also saw it on the live feed from the circuit several times.

Despite the lack of success I am enormously impressed with both your own and Jack's prowess as race drivers! The list of excuses is most impressive, well worthy of 'Nige' at his peak.

While I would hesitate to rush to judgement, never having owned, driven or raced a 2CV I do feel that the list of faults and failings both mechanical and human smacks of a lack of preparation suprising in such an experienced crew. While I, as an entirely unbiased commentator on motor sport, will not criticise without full knowledge of all excuses, reasonings, explanations and official comminiques, I must reserve the right to return to this subject in the future.

Might we be right to assume that no one suffered from food poisoning?

I feel that despite the foregoing it is possible to congratulate the whole Extravaganza Team on finishing the race.

Love to all,

Bob
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Post by jack bellinger »

Bob... despite my best efforts to make excuses.. the pit crew just kept mending the Blooming thing and sending me out again and again and again .. even I felt guilty about it and finished my last stint with nothing going wrong just couldnt get fast enough ..
I reckon its cos I listened to you and went up the pit straight the wrong side of the track !! (so its your fault)..

jack

( The pit crew were absolutely incredible they were smiling all the time no matter what we done to the little car they were going to make it finish . Hats off to them all Thank You
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Jack et al,
It might be a good idea to ask Chris Acklam for a list of good books to read during next year's 24 Hours, as it would seem that you have a lot of time to kill while everyone else is out racing!
Alternatively you could volunteer to act as safety car, which might be a more suitable way of passing the time.

Also maybe Mary would consider re-naming the car 'Mild Thing'?

I do hope these suggestions are helpful.

Your devoted admirer,

Bob Bull.
Regards
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Post by jack bellinger »

It was still quiker than a Bike !!

jack
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

It might be a good idea to ask Chris Acklam for a list of good books to read during next year's 24 Hours, as it would seem that you have a lot of time to kill while everyone else is out racing!
Jack was always too busy to read the book he brought with him
Also maybe Mary would consider re-naming the car 'Mild Thing'?
Bob, why not sit in the car with me while I do a few laps, you could spend the time thinking up a new name for the car or maybe you could try reading a book...
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

Thanks for the entertaining Sunday morning. Very like ‘the old days’ at Snett Willhire 24 hours (well – many of the same people just looking - but not acting - 30 years older). And bringing in young hotshot Tim to do the wet night stint was a masterstroke. The slower nature of the cars meant that you could watch them for longer and easier to take ‘action shots’ and I think a head to head with the Series 1 Mog may be exciting (?). They also tended to race in groups of 4 or 5 cars close together for the slipstreaming.

I was intrigued by the refuelling where only one 20 litre can is allowed – but this is sufficient for a 2 hour stint. The cars use very little fuel, no brakes, no tyre wear – but I think they got through FIVE engine changes !!

I have vague recollections of a 24 hour lawn mower race.

(PS I am often bored by news of Milton Keynes shown on Anglia news)
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

It is nice to see Leigh adding some sensible and informed comment on the endeavours of 'our lads' in the 2CV race, I did my humble best to attract attention to the event, in my usual inimitable style, but to hear from someone who actually witnessed the efforts of Mary, Jack, Barry and Tim is most welcome.

It seems a shame that such a fun event attracts so little interest from fellow Morgan types, who always seem such a close knit and sociable bunch. Perhaps it is because it is just a 'two horse race'!! Boom! Boom!

Thanks Leigh.

Regards,

Bob.
Regards
Barry Sumner

Post by Barry Sumner »

Leigh – use little brakes – one set of standard pads in the front have lasted three 24hr races and rear drums have not been touched in 4 years. How many Morgan’s can do that?

Jack – forgot to mentioning in his excuses - night driving without instrument lights and out of round / balanced scrubbed tyres

But brilliant pit crew who kept mending it and sending us drivers out again so that we had to think up another excuse

Barry
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Leigh Sebba wrote:I have vague recollections of a 24 hour lawn mower race.
Leigh,
There used to be (and still maybe) an annual 24 hour lawnmower race somewhere in Surrey or Sussex and was taken very seriously attracting a number of well know 'names' from the world of motor sport. I am sure the name of the venue will come to mind some time, but perhaps some of the members from that area may be able to fill in the details.
Mary Lindsay wrote:Bob, why not sit in the car with me while I do a few laps, you could spend the time thinking up a new name for the car or maybe you could try reading a book...
Mary,
That sounds like fun, as you will undoubtedly gathered from some of my previous posts, I have been chauffered around a few circuits by some pretty well known names, but I would certainly rank such an experience amongst my greatest thrills. It would make a great item for Three Counties.
I hope that you would not be a 'Riled Thing', as you have put up with quite a bit of 'stick' from yours truly on this site.

Mary Lindsay wrote:Jack was always too busy to read the book he brought with him
Would be the same book he started last year, by any chance? Green it was!

Bobby
Regards
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

British Lawn Mower Racing Club

Wisborough Green.

1973 Race won by Derek Bell and Stirling Moss!!

Wonders of Google.
Regards
keith morris

Post by keith morris »

Unfortunately I couldn't be part of the pit crew this year - due to some of my bits aging and falling off (bit like the car really),
but was heartened by the BBC giving it more coverage that the Le Mans 24 hour - see http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11066841

I particularly liked the team tactics quoted in the clip-
1, - I'd just like to start the race actually
2, - We will maintain position until the bacon rolls come out and see where we are

eat your heart out Ross Brawn!

Well done to everyone for getting to the end!