Holiday reading

Race chatter
Chris Acklam
Anti spam question: MSA

Holiday reading

Post by Chris Acklam »

While putting together my holiday reading list, I came across this book which came recommended and seems rather appealing - and unusually relevant for this forum.

Enzo knows he is different from other dogs: a philosopher with a nearly human soul (and an obsession with opposable thumbs), he has educated himself by watching television extensively, and by listening very closely to the words of his master, Denny Swift, an up-and-coming race car driver. Through Denny, Enzo has gained tremendous insight into the human condition, and he sees that life, like racing, isn't simply about going fast. Using the techniques needed on the race track, one can successfully navigate all of life's ordeals.

On the eve of his death, Enzo takes stock of his life, recalling all that he and his family have been through: the sacrifices Denny has made to succeed professionally; the unexpected loss of Eve, Denny's wife; the three-year battle over their daughter, Zoë, whose maternal grandparents pulled every string to gain custody. In the end, despite what he sees as his own limitations, Enzo comes through heroically to preserve the Swift family, holding in his heart the dream that Denny will become a racing champion with Zoë at his side.

A heart-wrenching but deeply funny and ultimately uplifting story of family, love, loyalty, and hope, The Art of Racing in the Rain is a beautifully crafted and captivating look at the wonders and absurdities of human life...as only a dog could tell it.
To be found here
Chris
TonyLees
Morgan Class B

Re: Holiday reading

Post by TonyLees »

let me know when you finished it - we can start a book club. I note that it mentions rain...
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Chris,
I fear you may have started something here, and we can expect a deluge of recommendations from those members who can read, so I might just as well add my usual two pennorth;

If you have not read 'Touch Wood' by Duncan Hamilton, the Le Mans winner in 1953, I can thoroughly recommend it as a jolly good read. It is well written, and not only does it give a very good insight into motor racing just after the war and in the fifties, but is very humourous with some most amusing anecdotes, many involving well known names from the period. I have it in paper back, which is abridged, so try and find a hard back as there is so much more to amuse.
What do you do when your radiator boils dry in the desert, and you are the only source of liquid? Can be painful!
No drive at Le Mans? Go out on the town arrive home early morning, find you are racing that day!!

Definitely for me it is the best book on motor racing I have read.

Also I might be persuaded to lend you my well thumbed copy of 'Rustlers at Dry Gulch Canyon', but I must have it back.

Bob. Book Critic 3CR
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Chris Acklam

Post by Chris Acklam »

Thanks Bob, I remember now that others have spoken very highly of Duncan Hamilton's book too. I will search it out.

When Duncan Hamilton finally hung up his crash helmet almost the last of the immediate post-war racing drivers retired from the scene. They were a band of enthusiasts different, in many ways, from their modern counterparts. They were unashamedly amateur in their approach to the sport. In the first place they owned the cars they raced and, as often as not, they prepared them themselves. Though the competitive element was strong and they tried hard to win, the race was only the focussing point of the day's activities.

There were friends to meet, technical information to exchange, stories to tell and almost certainly a party to be enjoyed. Gradually all this changed, and the fine old racing and sports cars were replaced by modern machinery. Not all drivers managed the transition - not all wanted to. The sport was now more for professionals, and to win you needed to be professional in your approach. Duncan managed the transition, and both as a team driver for Jaguars, H.W.M, Ferrari and others, and as a private owner driver, he achieved many successes. These successes were due as much to his sportsmanship, courage and determination as to his great skill.

He survived many serious accidents. Few other people, in any pursuit, would have got up, licked their wounds, and returned to the fray with such vigour and sense of purpose.

Some people are a little larger than life; Duncan is one of them. To any of his naval friends the vicissitudes of his career as a racing driver are merely the continuation of a natural sequence of events; conversely, no one who had known him for the last ten or twelve years would express any surprise to learn that his dog once ate a set of documents and so prevented a fleet from sailing for several days. It would seem quite normal for Duncan to own such a dog. And who else but Duncan could be stopped for speeding in the Cromwell Road while on his way to take part in a television programme on road safety?

The more a man travels the more important his home becomes. Duncan has been fortunate in that his wife Angela is just the right person to be in his home. Her placid nature, her refusal to fuss, and above all her understanding of his wants and ambitions made his career a possibility.

As I have said, the man is slightly larger than life, but don't take my word for it - read this book and find out for yourself.

Earl Howe, London, 1960 - Foreword from 'Touch Wood!'
Chris
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

There appears to be a canine link running through these literary recommendations of motor racing books to read!

Woof!
Philip Tisdall

Post by Philip Tisdall »

Do they do Audio Tapes ? never could read proper like :(
Philip
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Philip Tisdall wrote:Do they do Audio Tapes
Yes, Philip; Bow, wow, woof woof, ..............
Regards
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

apologies

My paper back edition of Touch Wood is not abridged, and contains all of the good bits, however, I noticethat a second edition edited by Doug Nye is due out shortly and can be ordered from WH Smiths.

Another excellent book that is redolent of the 1950's is the original 'Stirling Moss' by Robert Raymond first published in 1953, a really fascinating glimpse of life as full time racing driver before they all became professional. If you enjoy the history of the sport this is a must read book.

Personally I find the modern stuff is all very corporate, in fact I still have a book on Michael Schumacher I have been unable to finish since I received as a gift several Christmas' ago. (Would part with it for a small sum).

Anyway Chris what sort of holiday are planning that you need literature to pass the time?

Bob.
Regards
Chris Acklam

Post by Chris Acklam »

Bob Bull wrote:Anyway Chris what sort of holiday are planning that you need literature to pass the time?
Oh, the normal quiet sort - planning on going over the Col de Tourmalet, walking in the Pyrenean National Park, watching the world surfing championships at Hossegor, off-shore fishing, some bathing, surfing and cycling - and a bit of reading in between.
Chris
Philip Tisdall

Post by Philip Tisdall »

Oh, just a quiet holiday doing nothing then !!!!!! :)
Philip
Dave McDonald

Post by Dave McDonald »

Touch Wood

I have a hardback copy of Touch Wood c.1990 with additional material by Doug Nye. I would be happy to loan this out but I am VERY particular about the condition that it comes back in.

Dave McDonald
Tim Hill

Post by Tim Hill »

More Holiday Reading suggestions

Backfire by the Late Alan Clark MP
The Road to Muckle Flugga by Phil Llewellyn
Thunder in the Park by Tom Wheatcroft

I'm still trying to get a copy of "Jenks" though...........

Happy reading

Tim
JERRY KNIGHT

Post by JERRY KNIGHT »

I just cant believe you are planning another holiday . It really is alright for some !
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

I agree with Tim concerning Thunder in The Park, a very good book about Tom and his life, can't comment on the rest of his suggestions, but 'Jenks' is on e.Bay for £40 - £180!!

Jerry,
I expect Chris works very hard and deserves a holiday, life is not one long holiday for everybody you know! However .....................................

Chris, I am beginning to suspect that you can scrap the Tourmalet, dump the walking boots, unpack the wet suit, ditch the rods, lose the yatching cap and take along a spare pair of reading glasses, you will be too busy reading all of our recommendations to do any of the foregoing.

Enjoy the break.

Bob
Regards
TonyLees
Morgan Class B

Post by TonyLees »

is it an annual bathe?