The way we were

Race chatter
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

The way we were

Post by Mary Lindsay »

I recently came across some old photos in my collection. These were taken at Snetterton in 1978 and show how the Morgan racers (all 4 of them) prepared their road cars which they had driven to the circuit that morning and then assembled in the collecting area.

From left to right in the collecting area:
Bob Chaplin - modified 4/4, Mary Lindsay Plus 8, Bob Northover Plus 4 and Terry Garland 4/4 4 seater.

These were taken at Donington at the 1979 6 Hour Relay and show Alan Kennedy with his modsports 4/4. Although he obviously knew how to adjust his tyre pressures he seemed less sure about how to wear his helmet.
john bevan

Re: The way we were

Post by john bevan »

what engine was in the gold modified 4/4 Mary? Was it a BDA?

John
Morgan Club Sport. The only way to drive to and from races!
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

I can't remember what engine it was John but I will try to find out.
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Post by jack bellinger »

looking at the Webbers .. probably a X/Flow

also looking at the cars in the collecting area ..dont they all have a high looking ride height ?
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Jack, the Plus 8 was still on full profile Dunlop SP Sports tyres which made her taller; the other cars were probably on higher profile tyres too in those days. Also, the absence of bumpers (extra weight!) makes them all look higher at the front.
Andrew Faulds

Post by Andrew Faulds »

Not only does Alan not know how to wear a helmet, it looks like he borrowed his Overalls from a 12 year old!
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Alan is very tall and like all of us he was racing on a small budget - I guess that he bought the overalls off the peg! We always referred to him affectionately as the Human Anglepoise. Alan is one of the great characters of the series and I believe only ceased racing with us when his car was excluded by the re-drawn regs.
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Great pictures Mary and so redolent of those more carefree days. You are right Alan Kennedy is a shining name from the past and I think like Chris Cooke they both raced highly modified 4/4s. I was a young(ish) spectator in those days but often wonder what happened to them - and their cars.

Interesting that you say Alan stopped racing when the Morgan regs were re-drawn. I think his car ended up with Andy Simms who hillclimbed and sprinted it.

Keep the old pictures coming!

Cheers

Mark
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

I..... often wonder what happened to them
Alan is still very much in circulation, in fact he was on our table at the Morgan Challenge dinner in November and was in fine form keeping us in stitches with his wicked sense of humour. Tim Clark is his stepson and is keeping up the family tradition of Morgan racing.
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Post by jack bellinger »

Mary .. talking of looking back Im just reading an old edition May 1963 Autosport Its got a road test on a Morgan
Reg. no 296 FNP Competion Model of the MK1V with a 1340cc pre Xflow Ford engine ,Fitted with a Single SU carb and Four Branch Ex Manifold. Now thats got to be a Rare Beast I wonder if its still about in the same trim?

The write up starts ...
UGH!... The Morgan does not take to kindly to water.. as a good deal of it finds its way inside the car !!!
And Finishes with...
The Factory is still quite busy sending cars all over the world..
Much Credit must go to Chris Lawrence and Richard Sheperd Barron whos Exploits in the Lawrence Tune Morgan Super Sports Have brought the car to the notice of a much larger public due to their numerous competion Victories(praise indeed)

Compared with it Competitors..it has less interior room. less luggage space. a much firmer ride. and a general lack of refinement and detail finish (why not tell the truth then)

jack
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Post by jack bellinger »

Mary another Quest for you,,
The 1962 August Autosport says that TOK finished 13th and Distance covered 3655.696 Kilometres
You can work out how many Miles that is !! (clever girlie)
Question is.. How far have the other Mogs (inc Yours) travelled in their 24 hour races???
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Post by jack bellinger »

Ps we know you finished 6th...
Jim Mountain

The way we were

Post by Jim Mountain »

2,193.4176 miles
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Jack, 1962 and 1963 are going back a bit too far for me but I will make some enquiries and see what I can discover.
Ps we know you finished 6th...
We finished 3rd in 1980, 6th in 1981, 10th in 1982 (Jim Deacon's Plus 8), 5th in 1983 (Jim's car again) and 12th in 1984 in JEK as a single car entry. As for how many miles we covered, maybe I will try to work that one out when we have rebuilt the Plus 8 (again).
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Jack, I am told that the car you mention was the prototype 4/4 Series IV which appeared in a number of road tests and PM ran it for some time. The whereabouts of this car is currently not known but it is likely that the original 1340cc engine has been replaced by a 1600cc engine.