Where is John Binns?

Race chatter
keith morris

Re: Where is John Binns?

Post by keith morris »

As Colin Chapman - well known dodgy geezer famously said "Rules are for the interpretation of wise men and the obedience of fools"

Keith
John Clarke
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by John Clarke »

KUY 387's history is here

http://www.mognw.com/history/runions/green_monster.html

Having read it though - I wonder how much of the car went round Le Mans?

At LM, an overflow bottle was placed in the passenger area with a feed from the top of the rad cap. It also had twin fillers for the large fuel tank which can just be seen in the photo in Jakes book. What intrigues me, when you turn the pages of Jakes book, you see a car with a KUY 387 number plate a few months later and non of these LM mods appear visible.........???? Is this a case of portable number plates masking a cars true identity?

john
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

I agree John - and don't forget the " Le Mans " car also had a hole in the front of the bonnet on the top nearside to allow an extended oil top-up pipe and cap to protrude through.

I also wonder whether there was a small bonnet scoop on the nearside to clear the SU carbs? I understand the SU carbed cars had a short inlet manifold which enabled them to just clear the closed bonnet so it may not have done.

KUY 475 does have such a scoop neatly fitted to well louvered bonnets in very lightweight ali.

Love the MM report John. And weren't you lucky with the weather too. I understand it often rains on the MM at this time of year. Such a shame HFS wouldn't let Peter (or anyone else for that matter) compete in the MM as he considered it far too dangerous.

Cheers

Mark
Jim Mountain

Post by Jim Mountain »

I think most Morgans and many other vehicles that have had a long and rich compertition history suffer from "grandfather's axe" syndrome. To compete for any length of time and still keep the same engine/gearbox/chassis/wings/body/axle would be quite amazing, as when they first start life as a compertition car they are normally new, and nothing special for the day. All you can be sure of is that a simalar looking car with that reg number took part in that event back in the 50's/60's. Look round the paddock at most historic race meetings and there are very few old cars, but there are lots of new cars built to look old.