From the Archives

Race chatter
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

From the Archives

Post by Mary Lindsay »

1953 Plus 4 JNV 654 driven by John Lindsay at Bentley Drivers Club Silverstone in 1969 being overtaken by Cyril Smedley in an overheating MMC11, which was to retire before the end of the race.

Race Programme including some very interesting names Image

Results
Last edited by Mary Lindsay on Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Bull

Re: From the Archives

Post by Bob Bull »

How to win friends and influence people!!!

Oh! Look, here is a picture of my husband being overtaken!

Oh1 The other car retired with overheating problems! Happy days!

Mary,
I bet you're a real joy at parties.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Jim Mountain

Post by Jim Mountain »

Last edited by Jim Mountain on Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Bob, we Lindsays are honest to a fault.
I do have my moments at parties......

Jim, I have changed the file format for the programme and results, can you see them now?
Jim Mountain

From the Archives

Post by Jim Mountain »

Last edited by Jim Mountain on Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

Winning car now with John Emberson.

Second is 4 KYD which I sometimes see around (owner lives near me)

No doubt Mark Shears, John Clarke, etc can identify the rest of the cars !

Harvey Postlethwaite raced Mallocks, designed Formula 1 cars (Hesketh) and died about 10 years ago

Griff Griffiths had a garage in Willesden but died many years ago

John MacDonald – still a Mog agent

John Lindsay – changed from wheels to wings

Michael Ashley Brown still races in historics.

In the VSCC race that Hon B Feilding presumably is the past owner of XRX 1(now with Kremers)

I wasn’t there. Although I had got my Mog I was too busy enjoying the summer of ‘69

:) :) :)
Barry Sumner

Post by Barry Sumner »

Griff Griffiths moved to a garage in Windsor, with the car being painted a bright orange and highly modified if I recall rightly and somewhere have an article on it that was published in Car and Car Conversions magazine
Barry
RICHARD PLANT
Morgan Class E

Post by RICHARD PLANT »

Third place was Brian Jenkins in AWB 77B which now resides in St Day Cornwall he made a comeback in the 90’s to the challenge series In what is now my Plus 4 hence the reg BVJ, I think Brian Haslam would he have been in the Chris Lawrence Plus 8 that Robin Gray was so successful in and now owned by Tony Howard (Mary would know if this is correct) Ian Stowe would that be brother Plus 4 racer Jeff Stowe :?: :?:

Richard
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

And the Iain Macdonald in the Lagonda is John Macdonalds father - the I of I and J Macdonald. It would be interesting to know which Plus 4 John was racing - of the many Plus Fours that passed through his hands.

Thanks for the heads up Bob on the Autosport website and SLR thread. Also learnt of the unsavoury goings on in the pitlane at the Wing. Never used to get this sort of behaviour in the old days at what are now called the old pits!

Cheers

Mark
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Mark Shears wrote:Thanks for the heads up Bob on the Autosport website and SLR thread
Mark,
I'm sure you will agree that bauble chap knows a thing or two about Morgans, I wonder who he is.
Regards
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Once again we are (well I am) wandering from the chosen path, so I will steer back to the original subject. Well in the vague direction, with a personal memory.

Back in the 1950's as very keen motor sport enthusiasts Eric and I would often cycle fom Barnet to Silverstone for club meetings, and attended several of the early BDC's, and watched in some amazement as a number of pre war type saloons would take to the track driven by 'Old Boys' in suits and ties. These looked incredibly slow and tended to squeal their tyres a lot. We dubbed this the 'Silly Old Fools Race', (well we were quite young), and then at a greater age formed our own 'Silly Old Fools Club', we being founders and sole members of this august establishment.
Sadly when marriage eventually overtook me all of my precious race programmes had to go. I still mourn their loss.

Hope this helps to get us back on track Mary.

Oh! Sorry, possibly not the most tactful remark, under the circumstances.

Bob
Regards
Dave McDonald

Post by Dave McDonald »

Harvey Postlethwaite did a little more than ".... race Mallocks, design Formula 1 cars (Hesketh) and die 10 years ago.."
He was regarded as the Adrian Newey of his day, designing successful cars at Hesketh, Wolf (debut winner with Jody Scheckter), Ferrari, Tyrrell and setting out the basis of Honda before dying of a heart attack in approx 1999. A well respected, innovative Motor Sport Engineer with a capital E.
Dave McDonald
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Post by jack bellinger »

Im just looking at an old Sept 59 Motorsport Mag.
The Morgan team No.6 had just won the 6 Hour Relay .. there is a great picture of the winning team
Chris lawrence ..TOK 258
W.A.G. Goodall..?UY 98?
A.G.W.Belcher...White +4 no reg.
P.H.G.Morgan TUY 875
R.E.Meredith..XOV 555
A.J.Blair..flat rad+4 NXY 859
Also a pic of Chris Lawrence in TOK crossing the finishing line taking the waved Chequered Flag ( but this time you can only see the back of TOK ) must have been the start of something !!

All Have Aero Screens except the Flat rad running properly with a screen
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

I think Allan Belcher would have been driving VON 777 now owned by Doug Taylerson?
john bevan

Post by john bevan »

isn't VON owned by the Sumners Mary?
Morgan Club Sport. The only way to drive to and from races!