For Simon Scott or ?

Race chatter
Bob Bull

Re: For Simon Scott or ?

Post by Bob Bull »

Mary Lindsay wrote:
Your starter for 10; What was particularly unique about the 1955 World Championship result?
Er, it happened in 1955?
Your perspicacity does you great credit Mary!

I wonder why no one else thought of that?
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

In what year did British drivers win every round of the F1 World Championship, and who were they?

Name the four set of brothers who have competed in the same Grand Prix? (eg. J Smith and B Smith)
Regards
SimonScott
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by SimonScott »

Hi Bob

This is more my thing! =D>

1955 was special for all sorts of reasons: first British winner of the British GP (Moss) is probably the one you are looking for but how about 1955 also being the first time a past world champion had died (Ascari); or the first and only time 4 grand prix were cancelled (following Le Mans tragedy). Hopefully one of those is right!

1963 was the year we had British only winners of Grand Prix - Hill x2, Clark x7 and Surtees x1. A number of other years in the 60s come close...

The four sets of brothers took longer as some get very close to crossing - the Fabis, Rodriguez, Brambillas for example. Michael and Ralph Schumacher were easiest, then Wilson and Emerson Fittipaldi, then Ian and Jody Scheckter. But the last one proved the most difficult to recall - then I remembered Jacques and Gilles Villeneuve!

Such a shame I won't be at Snetterton to bask in the glory of solving one of Bob's puzzles - too many other commitments sadly. But hope you all have fun and see you at the dinner! :P
Formerly #64 - Class E 4/4 Sport Comp and Class R Lwt Roadster...
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Bask in the shade for a while Simon, you have failed miserably on 1955 (well for the particular thing I am after, only ever happened that year.)

Giles and Jacques were father and son, but three out of four is not too shabby, the fourth pair are very difficult, but if it helps, they were the first brothers to do so.

Well done o 1963.

Cheers,

Bob
Regards
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi Bob,

Would it be the Rodriguez brothers?

Cheers

Mark
SimonScott

Post by SimonScott »

The Jacques Villeneuve I mean was the younger brother of the late Gilles... the other Jacques (son of Gilles) was the world champion... Brother Jacques tried to qualify an Arrows in 1981 ... without success... so maybe he doesn't count anyway! Close but no cigar. :( It must be a pair of Indy 500 racers then...
But for unique events in 1955 I think you may have stumped me if my suggestions were wrong... maybe next time!
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Mark Shears wrote:Hi Bob,

Would it be the Rodriguez brothers?

Cheers

Mark
No Mark they never competed in GP's together. You would have to go back more than 60 years to find the answer!!!
Regards
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

SimonScott wrote:The Jacques Villeneuve I mean was the younger brother of the late Gilles... the other Jacques (son of Gilles) was the world champion... Brother Jacques tried to qualify an Arrows in 1981 ... without success... so maybe he doesn't count anyway! Close but no cigar. :( It must be a pair of Indy 500 racers then...
But for unique events in 1955 I think you may have stumped me if my suggestions were wrong... maybe next time!
Simon, look at the result of the first race of the season, and the last and note what Fangio was driving, om each occasion.

The brothers, one was named Graham. See reply to Mark above.
Regards
SimonScott

Post by SimonScott »

Graham and Peter Whitehead then... thanks for the extra clue! :P
Still none the wiser on 1955 - Fangio won the first and last race of the year in a Mercedes...but Mercedes did that last year as well so that can't be it...
Still puzzling!
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Clearly Simon you did not spot the (er!) deliberate mistake. 8-[ For 1955 read 1954 and apply the same rule. Sorry, but I am sure you will rapidly find the right answer now.

Well done on the Whitehead (half) brothers. Graham only ever did the 1952 British GP, so it a very obscure fact. What year did they finish second at Le Mans?
Regards
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

I see why Simon hasn’t time to race at Snett – too busy on Bob’s quizzes
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

For those who like a challenge (other than a Morgan one.)

Bob’s Brainbuster Quiz.
For the purpose of this quiz the Indianapolis 500 been ignored.
1. Name the make’s of car that Jack Brabham drove during his Formula 1 career?
2. Explain how the name MARCH originated.?
3. Which driver has won the most Monaco Grands Prix?
4. Name F1 three drivers whose surname begins with Z?
5. The ‘Constructors’ title was introduced in 1958. When did Ferrari first win it?
6. Which three circuits have held a round of the German GP?
7. McLaren have used seven different engines in their cars over the years, name them?
8. How old was Sebastien Vettel when he won his first Grand Prix?
9. How many races did Brawn win in their Championship year?
10. Where and when did Jackie Stewart make his Grand Prix debut?
11. How many World Driver Championships has Brazil won.?
12. In which years did America drivers win the F1 Championship, and name them?
13. Name the driver who has competed in the most GPs, and how many?
14. What links Alan Rees with two Grand Prix marques?
15. Olivier Panis only won a single Grand Prix, where and when?
16. In what year did Frazer Nash contest GPs?
17. Damon Hill took Jordan’ first victory in Belgium 1998, what marked the start of the race?
18. Who were the ‘Three F’s’ ?
19. Name the World Champions whose sons also drove in Formula 1?
20. Which circuit has held the most Grands Prix?
21. Which driver has the lowest career points score?
22. Where was Jenson Button’s last win?
23. How did Nico Rosberg overtake his father this year?
24. At which race did Sebastien Vettel clinch his 2013 World title?
25. In 1952 Alberto Ascari won 6 of seven Grands Prix, who won the other one?
Regards
SimonScott

Post by SimonScott »

Sorry for the slow reply Bob. Have been in Abu Dhabi watching the GP and trying to keep one step ahead of your questions! Not so sure about number 23 though... have I erred...please let me down gently! :)
1. Name the make’s of car that Jack Brabham drove during his Formula 1 career? Cooper, Maserati, Lotus and, oh yes, Brabham.
2. Explain how the name MARCH originated.? Max Mosley, Alan Rees, Graham Coaker and Robin Herd
3. Which driver has won the most Monaco Grands Prix? Senna with 6
4. Name F1 three drivers whose surname begins with Z? How about 4: Renzo Zorzi, Ricardo Zunino, Ricardo Zonta, Alex Zanardi
5. The ‘Constructors’ title was introduced in 1958. When did Ferrari first win it? 1961
6. Which three circuits have held a round of the German GP? Nurburgring, Hockenhein, Avus
7. McLaren have used seven different engines in their cars over the years, name them? Ford, BRM, TAG, Honda, Peugeot, Mercedes and, the strange named one, Serenissima.
8. How old was Sebastien Vettel when he won his first Grand Prix? 21 years and 73 days
9. How many races did Brawn win in their Championship year? Eight, six for Jenson followed by 2 for Rubens
10. Where and when did Jackie Stewart make his Grand Prix debut? 1965 South African GP in a BRM – East London not Kyalami
11. How many World Driver Championships has Brazil won.? Eight – Fittipaldi (x2), Piquet (x3), Senna (x3)
12. In which years did America drivers win the F1 Championship, and name them? 1961 Phil Hill, 1978 Mario Andretti
13. Name the driver who has competed in the most GPs, and how many? Rubens on 322 (disputed). Seems a long time ago when I saw Jolly Jacques Laffite beat Graham Hill’s record at Brands…
14. What links Alan Rees with two Grand Prix marques? MARCH and ARROWS. He was a founder of both teams being the AR in MARCH and the R in Arrows
15. Olivier Panis only won a single Grand Prix, where and when? Monaco in 1996 – Ligier’s last win
16. In what year did Frazer Nash contest GPs? 1952
17. Damon Hill took Jordan’ first victory in Belgium 1998, what marked the start of the race? Big pile up started by DC caused race to be red flagged. Lucky they didn’t use a safety car as we all know they aren’t very good at deploying safety cars at Spa!
18. Who were the ‘Three F’s’ ? Fangio, Farina and Fagioli – Alfa teammates who dominated the 1950 British GP, finishing in that order.
19. Name the World Champions whose sons also drove in Formula 1? Jack Brabham, Graham Hill, Mario Andretti, Keke Rosberg, Nelson Piquet
20. Which circuit has held the most Grands Prix? Monza – has held the Italian GP every year except 1980 (Imola)
21. Which driver has the lowest career points score? Lella Lombardi – half a point for Spanish GP in 1975 (half points awarded as race stopped early)
22. Where was Jenson Button’s last win? 2012 Brazil
23. How did Nico Rosberg overtake his father this year? Not sure about this one – only stat I can come up with is that Keke competed in 9 GP seasons, 1978 to 1986. Nico in 2015 exceeded that at this year was his 10th season (debut was in 2006)
24. At which race did Sebastien Vettel clinch his 2013 World title? Indian GP
25. In 1952 Alberto Ascari won 6 of seven Grands Prix, who won the other one? Piero Taruffi in the first GP of the year
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Well done Simon, just one missing answer, and one slightly wrong.

Nico won more GP's than his Dad when he won his sixth in 2014. Keke won a total of 5 in his career. What 'record' does he share with Mike Hawthorn?

Zunino never drove in a GP according to my records, but his name does begin with Z.

Cheers,

Bob.
Regards
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

For Bob and clever clogs Simon
why isn't the correct answer to Q21 simply Zero and therefore....
peter