For Simon Scott or ?

Race chatter
Bob Bull

Re: For Simon Scott or ?

Post by Bob Bull »

peter rafter wrote:For Bob and clever clogs Simon
why isn't the correct answer to Q21 simply Zero and therefore....
For mathematically Challenged Peter. 0 is not a score it is a non-score.

Clever Bob.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

Bob , you say "For mathematically Challenged Peter. 0 is not a score it is a non-score."
Nonsense , as an enthusiastic but hopeless cricketer I scored countless O's
peter
SimonScott
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by SimonScott »

Bob - What 'record' does Keke share with Mike Hawthorn? One race win in their championship year? :)
Peter - may all your ducks be golden!!! :lol:
Formerly #64 - Class E 4/4 Sport Comp and Class R Lwt Roadster...
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

peter rafter wrote:Bob , you say "For mathematically Challenged Peter. 0 is not a score it is a non-score."
Nonsense , as an enthusiastic but hopeless cricketer I scored countless O's

But! You would not have bothered the 'scorer' Peter, now would you?
Regards
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

SimonScott wrote:Bob - What 'record' does Keke share with Mike Hawthorn? One race win in their championship year? :)
Peter - may all your ducks be golden!!! :lol:
What was notable about Spa in 1970?
Regards
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

Bob, the scorer would have been guilty of a gross dereliction of duty had he not recorded my contribution to the scoreboard (albeit a duck/sorry Simon I may have encompassed almost the full house from golden to diamond)) not only in the written version religiously maintained for posterity but also the time honoured ritual overseen by that small legion of small boys charged with informing the attendant public (dogs also included in the crowd count) by changing by sleight of hand the manual numbering system, suitably rewarded with crisp and lemonade.
Simultaneously with this I claimed also to be at one stage in the nations rugby history to be Englands only uncapped Fly-half, known less affectionally by my less than supportive team colleagues as Teflon.
What has this to do with the price of fish?
peter
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Peter, I always thought that cricket was a very silly game, and nothing you have said has altered my opinion one jot (which is not a lot).

If nought is a score, what the heck is twenty?

PS; Our local B&M store is selling tinned mackerel quite cheaply.
Regards
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

A silly game? shurely shome mistake bob.

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.
When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.
Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.
There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.
When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

Hic.
peter
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Peter you have successfully turned the subject of Formula 1 history, into an exposition on the vagaries of a somewhat meaningless, and pointless exercise in hitting a ball with a stick. There are several variations on the theme, each with a similar degree of pointlessness, ie. Golf, Hockey, Rounders Tennis. Each of these pursuits should have no place in the CV of a proper 'man', and are really only suitable for girlies. The amount of TV exposure given to such nonsense could be more usefully employed in covering the Aero Morgan Challenge. A proper manly (with a nod to Mary, Tamsin, Sharlie, Michelle, and Kathy et al) pursuit.

So, Simon, what record was set at Spa in 1970, and by whom.

Bob, The Don Bradman of Morgan Racing.
Regards
SimonScott

Post by SimonScott »

"what record was set at Spa in 1970, and by whom?"
Can I provide multiple answers in the hope one is right? :?:
1. 1970 was the last GP held on the old Spa circuit
2. The race was the last in which Dunlop provided GP tyres
3. It was the last time a Mexican won a GP - Pedro in a BRM.
4. It saw the first 150+ mph fastest lap in a GP (3m 27-4s)
5. Or was it the last time a sports car set a faster lap than an F1 car over the same circuit - Pedro set fastest lap in the 1000k race in a staggering 3m 16.5s (over 160mph) in his glorious 917 the week before the GP
Am I getting close? 8-[
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

Bob, I have a faint memory of Hunt the Shunt and Jody Scheckter playing cricket-but it might not have been at Spa.
Hic.
peter
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

My earlier response to your answers Simon does not to appear to have lodged here. Operator fault, no doubt.

The 1970 Belgium Grand Prix, won as you say by Pedro Rodriguez in a BRM, was the fastest ever race run to the present F1WC. His winning speed was 149.942 mph. This record was broken by Peter Gethin when he won the 1971 Italian Grand Prix at Monza at a speed of 150.755 mph. the first four cars were separated by just 0.180 of a second at the finish. Amazingly these two races still stand as the 6th & 7th in the top ten fastest list, some 45 years later.
Fabulous cars the P160 BRM's.
Regards
SimonScott

Post by SimonScott »

Thanks Bob
That was quite a season - whilst I was on holiday last week, I devoured Ted Simon's fascinating book "The Chequered Year" which deals with 1970 with such aplomb. Highly recommended. Of all his near misses, Spa was definitely the race Chris Amon could have won, yet the normally unreliable BRM just kept going! I also read Howden Ganley's autobiography which gives lots of BRM insights - there are even a couple of paragraphs in it about Chuck McCarty, father of "our" Christian...so a Morgan link, albeit very tenuous!
Best wishes and thanks for the brain exercises... =D>
SimonScott

Post by SimonScott »

PS re Ricardo Zunino...
He had 10 GP starts, most notably for Brabham in Canada 1979 when Niki Lauda famously got fed up with driving round in circles and retired. He then continued for Brabham in early 1980 before being replaced by Hector Rebaque. His final couple of races were for Tyrrell in early 1981. He never scored points, although he came close with a couple of 7ths. My era as I was a serious Piquet fan when Lauda, Zunino and Rebaque were his team mates! Great days. :)
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Simon, you have unearthed a major fault in my F1 Bible 'Jacques Deschenaux Grand Prix Guide' available only from the Ferrari Media Centre at a F1 GP. It lists the career statistics of virtually every driver who took part in a race, with only a few one race types missing. It fails to mention Zunino despite finding him in the list of drivers for 1980. The book is up-dated every year, and I usually pass last year's on, so cannot check if this is anew error or a continual one.

I stand corrected.
Regards