Stars of stage and screen.

Race chatter
peter rafter

Stars of stage and screen.

Post by peter rafter »

Just caught up on the electronic television system (as opposed to that earlier Baird mechanical version that Bob is probably still watching) a program called “Wheeler Dealers“ which featured two ageing classics so to speak, namely Richard Thorne (dabbles in Lancias) and a Morgan Plus 4. I was mildly surprised that as it was shown before the watershed it came unencumbered without a parental PG. Apparently this program claims to restore those icons that are a bit rough around the edges ( still not certain whether they just meant the car). In any event Richard was in typical motor trade sales-speak overdrive, quote “sold as seen without warranty!”. The TV personality exited stage left with the car ( they cut the clip of him counting his fingers after the quaint traditional handshake). Thereafter, they film a chassis replacement - which as you mechanically minded aficionados know well involved removing spurious and remotely hidden nuts, bolts, screws, nails staples, rubber bands and paper clips, which goes to show you have to be seriously unhinged to try this at home. Strangely lots of the parts on my car used to fall off without me touching any of the above mentioned fixings, but apparently thats the charm of the hand built process.
Well worth watching for those of you with a strong constitution. Must dash now as one of the valves in my trusty wireless is on the blink ( its not just good servants one cant get today0), and they are re-running Mash 4077.
peter
Mark Shears

Re: Stars of stage and screen.

Post by Mark Shears »

Yes I watched it Peter and whilst they acknowledge the amount of time it takes and (some of) the cost they don't take it into consideration when they work out their 'profit' when they sell the car on.

If they were to realistically cost for their time and parts used it would not be an economically viable proposition let alone a profitable one...

Now must get back to the rebuild...!

Cheers

Mark
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

Well done Mark. The head shrinks tell everyone that the first step on the long, painful and difficult road to recovery is to acknowledge our illness. (pace you and your acolyte Philip).
As we are in the confessional (I suggest you have a slug of something strong to hand) some years ago i embarked on my own ground up restoration. Rather than buy a base car project I purchased via Messrs Clarke/Wiindridge 2 rare old instruments , a speedo and a fuel gauge, the latter still showing half full, which I'm certain i secreted in a safe place in the black hole masquerading as my garage. .All I needed then was, as funds became available, to accumulate all the remaining parts (including chassis , engine transmission axles body etc you get the idea) to build my ideal creation (a cross modelled on a hispano suiza, talbot largo, deluge and bufgatti T35 albeit with morgan cycle wings) . Anyone else see the flaw in this plan?. Fast forward —after 2 necessary but unscheduled garage clearances and fambly tidying up I'm still looking for the secret safe place. Nil desperandum. Not all is lost as i don't yet have the funds. But I have somewhere 2 old and rare instruments…Keep us posted on the rebuild…
regards
peter
john bevan

Post by john bevan »

Peter- how are you- we will we see you out at Snetterton for the first race- or are you snowed in oop North........

John (in the climate change south!)
Morgan Club Sport. The only way to drive to and from races!
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

John, a lone voice deep in mangel wurzel land,happy new year!
Yes, ere oop norf we do have a light dusting of Gods Dandruff, just enough to stop me mowing the lawn, but the whippets yearn for the deep powdery off -piste variety.
As we speak I am perusing (look it up in the dictionary) the calendar. Just as soon as the spannermen have fixed a dentures shelf and a medicine dispenser in the pretty red car I will plan my appearances at the back of the grid. We ducks envy the swans.
toodlepip
peter