Frank McClain - Texan Racer

Race chatter
Andy Downes
Anti spam question: MSA

Frank McClain - Texan Racer

Post by Andy Downes »

Frank McClain, one of the most colourful and universally popular characters on the Morgan Racing scene in the early 1980s, sadly died peacefully on Saturday morning.

Frank, a native Texan, came over to Europe with his wife Linda courtesy of the US military. When he got to Germany he caught the train to England with a bundle of cash in his pocket and realised a lifelong dream – to buy a Plus 4. He wangled a posting to England and competition beckoned; we all listened in trepidation as Mary Lindsay recounted a letter from the American telling how he was coming to race the Morgan.

Gentle, quietly spoken, with a wicked sense of humour and a sparkle in his eye, he turned out to be very un-American apart from his boasts in the bar of his competition prowess. With his loyal supporter Linda at his side he set about abusing the Plus 4 in the best way possible. He was an early and constant member of Bob Northover’s ‘Hammer an Old Nail !’ crew Hillclimbing and Sprinting alongside his burgeoning circuit Racing career. He completely immersed himself in the English way of life living off-base, filling the house with antiques and proudly proclaiming that as the tenant of a Crown Property “the Queen is my landlady !”

Frank was friends with everybody he met and those of us fortunate enough to know him certainly never forgot him even though he returned to the USA in 1984 after just a few years in England.

Nicola and I were lucky enough to catch up with Frank and Linda a few times at their modest ranch (Frank called it Hardscrabble due to the two inches of topsoil before you hit solid rock) in Texas. We visited at Christmas just a few weeks ago and were shocked to find Frank ill and very weak fighting off a recently diagnosed very aggressive cancer. He lit up when we arrived asking about all the folks back home (you know who you are) and talking about getting back behind the wheel of his beloved Plus 4.

Sadly it was not to be and he slipped away at the weekend with Linda at his side. Our thoughts and feelings are with Linda and his children Jeff and Alison – if I have half as much fun as Frank had in his life I will feel very lucky indeed.

Please feel free to post any memories or pictures you have of dearest Frank McClain.

Andy

Frank with the +4 taking advice from Mary Lindsay (partly hidden) at Bentley Drivers in 1982

'Skipper'
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Re: Frank McClain - Texan Racer

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Sad news indeed, Frank was a true Morgan man through and through.
There is nothing I can add to Andy's excellent tribute except a few photos of Frank helping out at the 1982 Willhire

The crew at the 1982 Willhire in the old rather cramped Snetterton pit box, Frank on the left in the green t-shirt.

Frank using his wristwatch to time the car on track with team manager Bob Northover.

The refuelling team with the NASCAR churns waiting for the car to come in, Frank in the green t-shirt

Frank refuelling the car with the (very heavy) NASCAR churn

Frank modestly receiving the Anglemog "Blow-up of the year" award, jointly presented to Bob Chaplin who also achieved this honour in 1983.
Duncan Charlton

Post by Duncan Charlton »

Frank was the guy I wanted to go with me when I bought Toly Arutunoff's 1967 4/4 racer, which I'm now recommissioning for track duty (it's taking a very long time). We had a fun drive to Oklahoma (about 14 hours each way). Yes, we were still friends after that long run, even when he learned I'm not in the same political camp as he was! He came to races with me a few times when I still owned the 1952 Plus 4 race car, to crew for me. Well, in truth, he mostly told racing stories! Over and over I heard names such as Mary Lindsay, John Mac, Andy Garlick, etc. He was very fond of the friends he'd made over yonder. He once showed me racing videos of the 1980's he'd gotten from someone -- Mary, perhaps? When Andy would come to visit Frank would call me so we could get together.

This photo was taken the day he got his first ride in a Morgan 3-wheeler, a 1936 Super Sports we used to own.

Duncan Charlton
Elgin, Texas
Attachments
Frank's first trike ride.jpg
Frank's first trike ride.jpg (119.55 KiB) Viewed 4196 times
Last edited by Duncan Charlton on Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john bevan

Post by john bevan »

Duncan,I have a copy of the road test of your car (when it was Arutunoff's) if you do not have a copy,

looking forward to seeing pictures of the car,

John
Morgan Club Sport. The only way to drive to and from races!
Duncan Charlton

Post by Duncan Charlton »

John, is this Peter Egan's article from Road and Track where he drives both of Toly's Morgans? If so, I've got that issue. If not, I'd like to read it. Thanks
Duncan