The Gilbert

Race chatter
Bob Bull

Re: The Gilbert

Post by Bob Bull »

Talking of three (we were weren't we?) We have a Peter, Paul and Mary and Jerry Leigh (Where is Mr Hamilton when you need him?)

Any other Pop Stars amongst the Challenge?
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
SimonScott
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by SimonScott »

Before I was born (but only just!) :shock: my namesake had his only hit record peak at no 37 in the 1964 UK chart (poptastic music lovers!) with 'Move It Baby' :). As well as nearly having a hit record he was also nearly managed by Brian Epstein but did appear on the same bill as the Rolling Stones several times in 1963/64. That's a bit like me saying I was once on the grid with Keith and would have won the race if everyone else had retired! :lol: But most impressive of all, the bass guitarist on “Move it Baby” was apparently Chas Hodges (of Chas n Dave fame)… can anyone possibly top that for an irrelevant amount of useless information!!! :?:
Formerly #64 - Class E 4/4 Sport Comp and Class R Lwt Roadster...
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

“can anyone possibly top that for an irrelevant amount of useless information!!! ”

Glad you are still in the gossip Simon even if not on the race track.
Perhaps you could claim some affinity with Scott Walker ?

Anyway here goes with irrelevant useless info……

1 Leapy Lee (sorry he uses wrong spelling) featured on TV program ‘ OAP’s behaving badly’ as voice overed by the well known celeb and actor Aero Racing driver

2 My ex girlfriend married a pop star who had a No 1 hit on T O T P
(more info on receipt of a drink)

3 We have Bob Bull, Roger Whiteside and just need a Mr/Ms Little to make Little White Bull (1959 Tommy Steele)
john bevan

Post by john bevan »

We all used to race with George Martin!!!
Morgan Club Sport. The only way to drive to and from races!
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

Nous trois
Tintin
Captain Haddock
Cuthbert Calculus
n'est pas?
peter
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

Good one John – I see him from time to time and he is still hoping to return to the track
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

I wonder, does Jerry have a relation named Gladys?
Regards
JERRY KNIGHT

Post by JERRY KNIGHT »

Bob Bull wrote:I wonder, does Jerry have a relation named Gladys?
Long deceased Auntie , Mothers sister !
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

With the first two meetings of the Challenge having been run, and four races completed, it already looks as if we know tin ware is headed. For most drivers a trip to the top of the room to collect something shiny looks unlikely, but no need to despair for the most prestigious award is still up for grabs. To whit, The Gilbert that elegant trophy in memory of Richard Gilbert, Morganista and ace photographer.

Any one can enter and there is no need of expensive equipment, any camera, or indeed mobile phone (I understand) is all that is needed, along with imagination, a bit of luck, and preferably a sneaky approach.

Who can pre judge the outcome, as it all depends on the whim of a mystery committee of our betters.

There you are idling around the paddock and you spot .... say ... well just to pick a name out at random, for instance ... Dominic House, and he is striking a pose, slipping over, spilling a mug of tea over his lap, or simply pulling a funny face. Well even funnier than normal for Dominic. Such a picture could well be the winner, or certainly in with a chance, while to be fair almost any picture of Alan House is a sure fire cert for the short list.

To give you all an example of the kind of snap that is worth entering I have put together a small selection of Candid Camera shots typical of the type required.

https://goo.gl/photos/Atc7xWAYtmjwdff9A

The rules are simple. The picture must feature a 'Morgan person' in a paddock setting, not necessarily at an Aero round. So get cracking after all this is your chance to upstage the likes of Keith, Elliott et al. Unless of course they also own cameras. :shock:

Warning; I am not a member of the Guild and so do not qualify as a Morgan person so any funny, embarrassing, entertaining, or plain disgusting of me will not be eligible. [-X

Note to Dominic. I have now revealed my number 1 entry, in the interests of fairness.

Good luck, and happy snapping to you all.
Regards
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Great photos Bob!

How about a caption competition as well?
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

is It Louis Daguerre has contributed more to the advancement of photography than one Robert Bull?
Its only Marconi that can claim to have been involved win the wireless and Radio longer than our Bob.
Sadly however, as a scribe essaying to be ranked amongst the pantheon of acknowledged journalists Franklin, Pulitzer, Hearst, Levin, Murrow , Kronkite, etc struggles albeit in vain.
For the record, and with due reference to his ostensibly accurate report on Silverstone, a fitting venue as he apparently predated the majority of vintage and veteran horseless carriages on show, I would humbly submit that my teeth reside safely at my bedside every night resolutely bathed in polident, alongside my wig of the finest horsehair, and the unmentionable prostheses..
Fear not Bob, I have no wrath left to venge
regards
peter
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Many thanks Peter for your kind remarks I am delighted that my genius in certain areas is recognised by the more discerning of the Hoi Polloi. I rejoice in the knowledge that the aforementioned molars are safely in your keeping, however, with regards to the wig. One must enquire as to the age of horse providing the material for the hairpiece, while a little more (but not too much) information relating to the cod piece may titivate the salacious amongst the ranks. :lol:

Mary, it my experience that competitions do not fare well on this forum, although I would be pleased to see any suggestions for individual images that may be forthcoming.

The question is: Will any of this inspire the photographic skills of BHP members?
Regards