One for Bob

Race chatter
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

One for Bob

Post by Leigh Sebba »

I got this in an e mail from past Mog racer Phil Brown who is now a neighbour of the famous John Clarke in Perth (the Oz one not the Scots one)

Phil went to the Malaysian GP and added this -

''An interesting trivia question in years to come will be in which motor race did non of the field make it to the finish. The answer is the F4 Formula Asia Round 4. Because of cancellation of the round on the Friday two rounds were run back to back on the Saturday with only a twenty minuet gap between events. On the sixth of eight laps the leader pulled to a holt in front of me. then on the TV screen showing the far side of the circuit two other cars came to a holt. When another two stopped the safety car was scrambled as five of the small field of nine cars had stopped on circuit . Eventually the safety car was following the leader on lap 7 of 8 but that also failed. The entire field had run out of fuel as they did not refuel between rounds and overestimated the range of each identical car.''

https://auto.ndtv.com/news/nobody-finis ... ia-1757169

It says in this link that the safety car was the only car to take the chequered flag - must have a go at the S C driving !
SimonScott
Anti spam question: MSA

Re: One for Bob

Post by SimonScott »

Well done for passing that on Leigh. I saw the report on Autosport's website - wonderful. =D>
I thought something similar was going to happen way back in 1992 for the big endurance race at Silverstone which only ran over 500kms. Race entries were very thin, headed by a couple of Peugeots - with Warwick/Dalmas winning. There was even a BRM entered which didn't start although I think I participated in the warm up! Only 11 cars started. Just 5 finished and one of those was DSQ. For fun I diligently lap charted the entire race as I was convinced no-one was going to finish... I should really get out more... :lol:
Only thing similar in my memory was the infamous 2005 US GP at Indy where, out of the 20 cars that entered the race, only the six Bridgestone cars started but they all finished. It was worth walking round to the podium to see a very confused Michael Schumacher going from jubilant to confused as the boos and bottles reigned down... :wink:
The fun you can have! :roll:
Formerly #64 - Class E 4/4 Sport Comp and Class R Lwt Roadster...
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Memories, memories. Not quite in the same vein, but in the late fifties, I was spectating (pre-famous journo days) at what back then was 'Bottom Bend' . The race due to start was for 1500cc sports cars, Lotus, Lola, etc. the pack of about 30 screamed around Paddock Bend and disappeared behind the trees up Clay Hill. Down from Druids came three cars - - - - - and then at regular intervals, in one's and twos a string of bent and crumpled cars slowly appeared. Someone had spun and had been collected by virtually the entire field. It was quite hilarious.

On more than on occasion I stood at Copse Corner awaiting a pack of Formula Fords to hurtle in to view, and been disappointed when not a single car made it past the Motor Bridge. A bunch of complete idiots raced in FF's back in the 70's/80's.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

‘’A bunch of complete idiots raced in FF's back in the 70's/80's.’’

Any of those out and about in MGs, Morgans, Historics today ? But no doubt older and wiser.

I don’t follow F1 that closely but I do recall the tyre fiasco race