How do I go faster

Race chatter
Bob Bull

Re: How do I go faster

Post by Bob Bull »

Andrew, I beg to inform you that The Rafter Mobile has indeed made it's seasonable debut with it's ancient pilote resplendent in brand new (yet to be confirmed as such) ,matching helmet and overalls in a fetching shade of black.
Whether the combination has found a new turn of speed, or as is more likely some of his opponents have slowed down, the results show that several cars finished behind him, more than is usual that is!

Sadly there were no offers of cups of tea, so somethings never change.

The view from my school window merely revealed more school.

Your reliable recorder of facts and fantasies.

Kindest possible regards,

Robert Francis
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Andrew Potter

Post by Andrew Potter »

Good morning RFB.
Having been informed that the aforementioned black suited, black helmeted, and no doubt black gloves might not attend the first few races I was surprised to find the name Peter Rafter on the timing website as I watched the races unfold, and more surprised to find Sharlie and Peter behind at the close of play. We may live in hope that performance this year, including speedy Yorkshire tea, improves.
Well done to Keith on his milestone.
Your kind thoughts are most welcome and shared with your good self.
Andrew
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

Andrew fine fellow. I had not anticipated that I would be able to enter but at the last minute I was let out for good behaviour.
However, on its emergence from its winter hibernation the pretty red car threw a tantrum and acted temperamentally throughout (It cannot have been the new bow thrusters). During qualifying it was running on 6 or less cylinders, asthmatically coughing and spluttering. At one stage i was convinced it was only running on 4 of its 8 cylinders (at which point I had visions of entering the Techniques Trophy which you will recall is restricted to 4 cylinder cars). Otherwise I would have been hot on the heels and hounding Messrs Ahlers, Goddard and Whiteside…..no?
But, in my new race suit (the old one adly threadbare and falling apart) plus a smart new Helmet I paraded in the paddock looking every inch the elite race driver I ought (not aspire) to be taken for (cue background music, Nimrod followed bsy Purcell, Music on the death of Queen Mary). Naturally i made an impression on attendant paparazzi including “hold the pose “Bob.
I have redacted the impertinent comments from close family and friends. We had a discussion about discord and after 20 minutes I told them I am always right.
ps
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
peter
Andrew Potter

Post by Andrew Potter »

Good morrow, Peter.
Oh, I can imagine the fanfare- the drumroll in the Queen's Funeral March Z 860 (it says here, on Outhere recording RIC 332) would have been excellent, especially to your practiced slow paced entrance. But however much I look on the website I have so far failed to find a glossy photo of your good self in shiny black armour. My sister-in-law specified this music for my brother's funeral, but the female funeral director botched the recordings and we didn't hear what was asked for. Disembowelling, drawing and quartering is not a pleasant site at someone else's last public engagement! Similarly, Widor's 5th on a single keyboard electric organ, with an amateur sic.keyboard player didn't hit the right notes either. Be sure to receive what you ask for!
I hope that your pretty red car has been re-sparked ready for its next outing.
Andrew
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

While the question of Brexit has yet to be resolved, here we have a yet more important matter to resolve. Has Peter gone faster?

I do not pretend to know the answer, however, there is one factor that I am amazed by, the sheer volume of visits to the subject by interested parties. Whether this is due to peoples interest in the subject or the delightful prose of Andrew and Peter, himself I profess I do not know the answer to that either, but it is a staggering statistic.
Regards
Andrew Potter

Post by Andrew Potter »

Good afternoon, Bob.
A little research carried out tells me that in 2009 on Silverstone's National Circuit Peter made a fastest lap time of 1:14.
On the same circuit for Peter's first perambulation this year his quickest time was 1:10 or 11. I surmise that his new racing outfit and helmet are shinier, creating less drag, and, as it was a VSCC meeting perhaps Peter had waxed his moustache and wound it back around the back of his helmet into a hair grip. So, on that score, yes he is going faster.
My interest stems from those 2009 days when I raced against him in a similar car. Even then I found him to be such a gentleman that when I overtook he would wave me past,( but I could never count the number of fingers waving me on!). Hence my interest in his progress.
And also, he gives as good as he gets!
Have a good weekend,
Andrew
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

Bob, Andrews elegiac prose aside, I can only surmise that it is evidence and substantiation of man’s ever lasting thirst and quest for knowledge.
The origins of the universe. What went before? How do we define nothing? How is order brought to the constraints of nature, the strength of gravity, the speed of light, the mass and electromagnetism of particles? The origins of Time. We believe that the cosmos is not an unchanging place.What is the ultimate end?
Is mathematics the language that nature uses to write her laws?
Is there a common purpose to life, other than recycling amino acids?
The veracity of the Bible and other religious tracts and their reconciliation to scientific knowledge. Faith, belief, hope and expectation, hallucination?
Philosophy postulates that man created a supreme being in his own image. Is there indeed a guiding hand or overseeing presence? If so, is intervention in our world possible. If there is an external, otherworldly moral influence on reward and punishment why is there still so much wrongdoing?
Why is there such a random allocation through the gene pool of health, intelligence ability, and ambition? Why is there still hunger and poverty in our world?
We have surpassed the age of innocence. Will AI benefit society in the future?
Enough of the mundane questions. By far the most daunting and challenging, even without stretching the boundaries of reality and possibility, remains how do I go faster?
peter
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

12,963 visits to this subject, obviously the question of "How do I go faster?" is of enormous interest to a great many people, however, we still have no resolution!

I am given to wonder about, even to cogitate upon, this conundrum. Is the answer to the question so complex and convoluted that is defies logic, or is it possible that the simple truth is that it is impossible for our good friend, Peter, to 'go faster'?

I fear that this will run and run.
Regards
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

I was able to persuade the lovely Katy to accept a late entry for Oulton this weekend where I hope the weather will not necessitate the appearance of the President’s Consort overcoat.
Apparently i was mis-sold on the idea of bow thrusters. These scoundrels who prey on the vulnerable, they are almost as annoying as the repetitive telephone calls with a crackly Indian voice telling me my broadband is going to be cut off, or that cousin Roderick is stranded in Thailand and needs funds. These seem to have replaced the previous pleas from a Nigerian Minister who needed to transfer wads of lolly to my bank account. Fictitious fabrication I fear.
Anyway, back to the pressing issue. I had thought of resurrecting the idea of a push to pass facility as currently used over the pond in Indycar (i have discounted a fan boost, as Andrew and Bob would need to be in attendance) ) but apparently it would need to be button or pedal activated. Now there’s a thought. A fourth pedal! maybe not in time for Oulton but could be Donington.
Back to the Lab. My daughter has affixed a Miss Haversham sign on the door…some tenuous link to the presence of spider webs..
peter