How do I go faster

Race chatter
Andrew Potter

Re: How do I go faster

Post by Andrew Potter »

And, finally, dear Piotr, the answer lies in your bank account. A trip to Techniques Morgan would enable you to buy a pretty black car which you may have watched overtake you many times. Does the number 10 ring any bells?
Andrew
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

Andrew may dear fellow.
Seasons greetings to you and your good lady, or your wife whichever you prefer. I have been aware for some time of said vehicle with veterinary connections for sale and I am more than familiar with views of its rear end as it disappears into the far distance. It will indeed go faster. However, there would remain more than a soupçon of suspicion that it would go faster in my ownership. Its venerable owner also owned at one time the pretty red car. You will recall that earlier in this thread i nobly acknowledged that in the right hands my car wins races, and that all I needed were the “right hands”. Should anyone know of a suitable transplant surgeon (other than Vilktor Frankenstein) then please advise. On second thoughts perhaps not at this time. As an unemployed gigolo I am struggling to squirrel away the pennies to purchase a new helmet and race wear as mine are sadly out of date (so is the driver I hear you say), let alone a new steed and a transplant. I would probably be exchanging one sea of troubles for another. Life can be so unfair. Did you know that Toto got paid more than the munchkins? Or am I just repeating myself in my dotage. I yearn not for brevity in thought and action. But, I am not disillusioned. My much earned success is a bit like nuclear fusion which, for the past 30 years, has always been 30 years away. Fear not, a new dawn beckons…..Like St. Paul on the road to Domestos I have a cunning plan…(cue drum roll, and strike up the band).
Lastly I would consider it an esteemed honour to be able to buy you a cup of coffee should you find yourself, however mistakenly (or should your good lady allow it) at one of our races next year (terms and conditions apply).
ps
Seasons greetings to all our readers
peter
Andrew Potter

Post by Andrew Potter »

Good morning Peter. I thought a quick reply may be in the offing. What does a vet have to do to go faster? Don't answer that. Time will tell. Yes I may take you up on your kind offer, having thought of you many times this year as we have passed by Sheffield on our way to Selby. However, our commitments there have now ceased as a new life in Oz has beckoned for my family, and I may find it easier to come and watch you next year.
Ah- Toto does run the Mercedes F1 team!
Andrew
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Peter, at the recent Drivers Dinner, there was I am assured a 'Drivers Meeting' at which event changes to Classes etc, may be discussed. I admit to no knowledge of what transpired, however, it may be you predicament has reached sympathetic ears. I merely conjecture that in their infinite wisdom and charitable decency, the drivers have, perhaps, introduced a new Class into the Championship, one structured for your sole use (For drivers named Rafter driving Pretty Red Cars), thus ensuring you a fair share of the silverware duly handed out by Katy at each round.

I do hope so.

Your Media contact.

R F Bull (Currently aged 81 years)

PS; I would have thought that any cups of tea being handed out would find me first in your liabilities, rather than some 'once used to be but no longer is' individual.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Andrew Potter

Post by Andrew Potter »

Believe me Bob- my heart is still pumping well.
Thank you for your concern.

Andrew
Andrew Potter

Post by Andrew Potter »

Perhaps, upon reflection, Bob, you may be correct. Peter, being the Gentleman that he is, wouldn't dare put anyone else above your good self in the pecking order. You are one of the 'Terms and Conditions, that apply to his offer.
Andrew
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

Toto runs a F1 team? Does Dorothy know? He may have a heart and courage but he doesn’t have a brain. Who dissembled this calumny? Was it the Wicked Witch of the North or the Wizard? He may have cocked his leg against Tin Man, barked at Cowardly Lion, chewed a leg of Straw Man and left a deposit on the yellow brick road, but he doesn’t deserve this.
Shurely some confusion.
Hic
ps
Remember Soap?
Jodie Dallas: Plato was gay.
Jessica Gatling Tate: Mickey Mouse's dog was gay?
peter
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Andrew, I have serious doubts that Peter (aka Compo) can be persuaded to stump up for two cups of tea, so in the interest of all that is good about the Morgan family, I hereby renounce my claim to the first cuppa that can be prised from the remorseless grip of Peter's wallet.
I wish you well in your quest for that elusive rosie lea, my experience is that much is promised but little delivered.

Bob
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

Andrew my fine fellow, I wonder if you will be allowed out, with or without chaperone, to make an appearance next year at either the preseason runout or the Challenge event at Castle Combe. You might be able to disguise it as a pilgrimage. Ah yes, perfect. A pilgrimage. As a noted Member of Parliament and Knight of the Shire (alas not Sir Jerry) wrote “When April with his showers sweet the drought of March has pierced unto the root…When Zephyr has with his sweet breath quickened again the tender shoots and buds, and many little birds make melody.. then do folk long to go on pilgrimage …. to distant shrines in sundry shires..normally and initially to Snetterton, but next year we commence at Silverstone.

There is a precedent for pilgrimages from your nether regions, namely the Wife of Bath. In the days of King Arthur, the Wife of Bath begins, the isle of Britain was full of fairies and elves. Now, those creatures are gone because their spots have been taken by the friars and other mendicants that seem to fill every nook and cranny of the isle, and especially the West country.
The Wife of Bath uses the prologue to explain the basis of her theories about experience versus authority and to introduce the point that she illustrates in her tale: The thing women most desire is complete control ("sovereignty") over their husbands. On second thoughts Andrew, you had better come alone.
ps
Another Pilgrim was a Knight. A person of highest social standing amongst the pilgrims, though his manners and clothes are unpretentious and he was modicum of humbility. We are told that he has taken part in many campaigns ( a reference to his longevity in the racing fraternity perhaps)
peter
Andrew Potter

Post by Andrew Potter »

Do they have Yorkshire tea in Wiltshire? We could put it to the test- 'Terms and Conditions' applying, of course.

Andrew
Andrew Potter

Post by Andrew Potter »

Oh Dear, Oh Dear, Oh Dear.
This time last year a certain Mr. Rafter, of our acquaintance, castigated me for not appearing at the pre-season track day, organised by the excellent Thornies of James Lane, to show him how to change from second gear into third, in which he appeared to be permanently stuck. Together with several notable contributors I tried hard to help his situation with various suitable asides throughout the year, at the end of which it was suggested that I should arrive at the pre season turnout at Castle Combe for a mug of Yorkshire tea. So I did!
I arranged a welcoming committee for his arrival, even.
What did I find? An almost empty track, but with a few notable competition cars in attendance to liven up the proceedings (which sounded excellent to my ears, gentlemen), and in the company of the excellent tutelage of Mark Hales, with whom I expected to find all-day instruction arranged for the driver of the pretty red car. But no sign of said individual. I searched and searched for said car and driver, and, after recent postings on this forum, I walked around the track to see if I could find, perhaps, a fold up bicycle, fold up glasses, a fold up pretty red car, or even a fold up mobility scooter. But nothing.
With not a drop of rain to spoil the track, where was Mr. Rafter?
I wish you all well for the coming season.
Andrew
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

Andrew,
Normally I am incapable of feeling shame, remorse or guilt, Yet, as a result of your posting to this exceptional topic on this august forum, I am sad beyond measure. (Waiter! Make that a large one!).
It vexes me greatly. How could I miss the ululating hordes at Camp Corner?
A telling reprimand indeed. Peter Cook to Jury “ You are now to retire… carefully to consider your verdict of guilty”
i have struggled to avoid sleepless nights since.
In mitigation, i was in foreign lands and in a prior call with Richard, i indicated the difficulties/obstacles improbability of attending, or even participating in the early rounds of the Championship. At that time we were unaware whether you had the necessary grace and favours. We all know how fickle the female of the species can be (If the truth be told, what on earth was Adam thinking of? If he knew then what we all know now..…)
However, I am lost in admiration that you had you completed your allotted household tasks and escaped. Nevertheless, I am much troubled that missed meeting up with you again and claiming my complimentary beverage? In this regard Yorkshire tea is rampant here in the wastelands of Sheffield, even more so than the indigenous fungi. I may have had expectations of a more exotic beverage. Alas, this pleasure will have to wait. (Yorkshire where birds do sing and cavort before some Twit in green tweed shoots them).
There is a round in the Wilds of the West Country later in the year where you can make amends (terms and conditions will regrettably br reinforced)
I remain your abject but humble servant
ps
you didn’t mention the other illustrious drivers /luminaries present at Castle.,
pps
on which day of the moon cycle should we abstain from all our worldly pleasures
pppps
my instruction to Richard was to sell you a race car
Oh and did you sign the exeat book chez Potter Towers
Hic
peter
Andrew Potter

Post by Andrew Potter »

Welcome back, Peter. So you finally made it to the Red Rose County for some well earned R&R. Did you go as an emissary, for I understand the Tykes are trying to steal more of what's left of our beloved county? I remember when there was also a Westmorland and Cumberland, meeting at the top of Wrynose Pass.
There were just six of your ululating fans at Camp, two of whom were sitting on a bench like Les Dawson and Roy Barraclough (also from Preston), wrapped up and knitting. Not a lot going on there.
As is my way my visual memory and sources are sacrosanct, so no names mentioned here. However you may be able to work out your inquisitiveness from the descriptions that follow. There was a big grey lorry, not for hire or reward, a white van with race car trailer in tow, both from Reading, a black luxury car of German,(Le Mans winners) origin with an enclosed race car trailer in tow from Warwickshire; excluding the aforementioned instructor there was a 1970 yellow historic racer with a white roof with an engine recently refurbished by Mass engineering and à vendre, a claret historic racer with no roof being fettled by two pilotes, a black class A racer polished with loving care in Hertfordshire, a works-coloured Roadster lightweight racer with roof, a 50th anniversary Plus 8, a black 4/4 racer, several privately owned road cars, and a pretty quick trike pedalled by a lady, also from Reading. Oh, and 'Pearl' was there.
Whilst you were away there was a bright Worm Moon. This only happens when there's a full moon on Spring Equinox- perhaps that was the day.
Incidentally, I first attended Castle Combe in 1963, where I learned to love the sound of the Ferraris owned and driven by Ron Fry, (Reg Ron 54), before, sadly, he switched to a Ford GT40. I also watched Morgans racing there then in the hands of John McKechnie from Cheltenham, and others.
I will look forward to your 'Terms and Conditions' another time.
Andrew
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

Andrew, fine fellow
I have this picture of the young, short trousered, pimply Potter sitting at a desk in a fusty classroom (or was it in detention?), staring absentmindedly out of the window, alternating with longing glances at the green sward in front of the pavilion, while a begowned Mr Chips droned monotonously and endlessly on and on, reciting this Islands great history, Ethelred, Normans, Plantagenets, and Tudors, and in particular, the war of the Roses. Had you, or this young Potter, paid even the slightest attention, you will have learned that the symbol of House of York and the county of Yorkshire is a white rose. (easily distinguishable from the red rose and even the tudor rose).
At the Battle of Minden 1st August 1759, Yorkshire troops from a Yorkshire battalion were able to pluck white roses from close to the Battlefield in tribute to their fallen comrades. Ever since Yorkshire day has been celebrated on August 1st. The Yorkshire flag incorporates the stylised rose and it can be flown with the 5th leaf at the bottom for most areas  or the top (for the East Riding)
Take a 100 lines
the white rose of Yorkshire….
ps
The "Lancastrian" red rose was an emblem that barely existed before Henry VII. Lancastrian kings used the rose sporadically, but when they did it was often gold rather than red;
peter
Andrew Potter

Post by Andrew Potter »

Well researched, Peter.
My view out of the classroom window was of the Langdale Pikes, which would have a lasting effect on my life, from then to now. Just after the war, (don't ask which!) my Geography teacher, we discovered much later, was the ex Captain of the Frigate that brought the King of Norway to this country during the war.
Will your pretty red car be out of hibernation soon?
Andrew