How do I go faster

Race chatter
Bob Bull

Re: How do I go faster

Post by Bob Bull »

Leigh, There's the rub! Should Compo adopt your strategy, and finish last in race one, and then having started race two on pole finished last again as well! #-o

Sadly such a scenario is far from unlikely. 8-[
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

Your honour, Leigh, It may have escaped your attention (understandable given your advanced years) but I have for some time suggested to the representative of the now sadly defunct Class B, and even on this august forum, the need for the re- introduction of reverse grids, albeit with a singular lack of success.success. I have since abandoned this mission. I now wish to propose that in the the suggested application of “pit stop” procedure for next season that I take the mandatory 10 second stationary wait or whatever is deemed, but the rest of the grid have to wait a minimum of 5 minutes.

No, the “gravity assist concept” struck a chord as I shared with my grandson my album of photographs , videos and even a CD sent by an aspiring but ageing photographer who, it cannot be through lack of ability has had to on occasions double up as a scribe and wireless reporter (is that triple up?). In these photos, some of which are in focus, I am largely shown leading a long train of cars with the admiration (perhaps frustration) of the many distinguished drivers behind masked by their helmets. He is now at at age where he has begun to question my tale of heroic deeds and derring do ( besides which he saw me at Silverstone which could have been the seed germ of doubt). He now has begun to think my explanation of “racing” is simply “all of us starting at the same time”. It is not helped by my largely empty Trophy cabinet , although I do have a metal plate for the scratch prize at Donington many moons since ( said plate was however inscribed Donnington) and a few MG Relay trophies gained mostly by by team colleagues.

No I owe it to my adoring public and legion of fans. I feel the need to reward their loyalty. The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single acorn. First the Challenge. Thereafter who knows? Don’t hold your breath Bob.
Tempus Fugit
ps
My daughter has purchased prescription goggle for swimming. As I am somewhat short sighted I am researching a prescription windscreen for my road and race cars..
peter
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Peter, with the season over the through put on BHP tends to fall off, so this search for speed is a welcome distraction from the cares of life. The subject is quite a weighty one, and as an apple never falls far from the tree, we can only hope that some of the Technical Committee might add their ideas into the mix. I remain convinced that 2018 will see a resurgence of Rafter Power that will overturn the old order. More power to your elbow old friend.
Regards
Andrew Potter

Post by Andrew Potter »

Peter, I'm very sorry to hear of this state of affairs. However, I may have held the answer to your problems for many years.
On one of the many times that I visited the Morgan Factory I attended the Reception Centre for visitors for coffee etc.., and received a talk from the archivist. While in that room, down at the bottom of the car parks, we were surrounded by a number of red children's pedal cars, the last of their run, at around £3,000 each. The tour moved on to the top showroom where the cars ready for collection await transport to their new owners. I tend to fall behind on these tours, especially if I wish to talk to Dixon Smith or other very friendly staff. On this occasion, in the manufacturing part of the factory, where new engines are placed in their chassis etc. I espied what appeared to be a well used engine on a trolley, with all its wiring, and wondered what it was doing there amongst all the shiny new Ford and BMW engines. On investigating a little further I came across the name Mr. Peter Rafter.
Now could it be possible, Peter, that unbeknown to you, your chassis was kitted out with pedal power, as per the cars I'd seen first thing? Is that engine of yours still lurking behind a secret door somewhere, and that your confusion over which pedal to push at any one time is actually because yours was converted to run on human leg action?
If that's the scenario, then you're just not pedalling hard enough.
I wish you all a relaxed and Happy Christmas.

Andrew Potter
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

Andrew Old Bean. thank you for your posting. I sincerely hope its not just pedal power as you imply. Although that would explain the recommendation of Signor Lees. Besides it has only got 3 pedals.
I am glad you can still fog a mirror and your good lady allows you the luxury of occasional visits to this august forum. How are things in the desolate and deprived South West? (Sandbanks aside). It may be only anecdotal but a topless lady ventriloquist once toured the South West of England and absolutely nobody ever saw her lips move.

Back to the Fisics. Apparently the most distant black hole ever observed is a very very long way away. The universe is full of surprises, what?. The sceptics parrot that we still have no idea and don’t understand it. Greater truths are yet to be discovered. However, in the absence of credible answers to my earthy quest I may have to resort to extraterrestrial intelligence. Unlike the earlier NASA exploits I won’t resort to launching via a Saturn rocket a gold CD with my question burnt in numerable languages, with accompanying music (Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Purcell, Handel ) and drawings ( Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Caravaggio, Rembrandt). I will avoid text (Shakespeare, et al).
I will simply send a postcard.

ps
For reference to your acute observation of an engine in the Malvern Hospital. Some 7 years ago on a test day at Brands I was in my lightweight and following an MG who, not according to plan and certainly not to my expectations , went off track at Druids. A torrent of a gravel went straight through my oil cooler. On the ensuing ice rink I pirouetted and at speed speared, sideswiped and backslid into the armco. Ouch. Regrettably the only salvageable element of the whole car was the engine, which Morgan, at the behest of RTCC, transferred into a new rolling chassis. I do hope that as you passed it by you blessed it, burnt incense and sprinkled holy water over it. Your reward of complimentary plenary indulgences awaits. Mucho Gratifico.
peter
Andrew Potter

Post by Andrew Potter »

Good to hear from you Peter. Yes, I knew about your Lightweight! However, another idea to lighten your Fisics. One of the most delightful mechanics you will ever meet works with Richard at James Lane. She is also, by now, a qualified skydiving instructor and may be able to help with your exits, your free falls and your controlled approach to the chequered flag. Have a chat with her- name of Charlie. Perhaps that's why Mr. Whiteside is now doing so well.
Ah yes- Armco. Richard asked me once if I could attend one of the then Earl of March's track days for his friends. Work or pleasure, I asked myself? Well pleasure won out and having picked up a brand new Lightweight at Richard's I mingled etc before his friends while they tried out what the manufacturers had sent as the latest this and that. No one came for a drive in the Morgan for a couple of hours, so I amused myself by having a private track day. Eventually an older gentleman approached and asked if he could have a go. We had a few laps with my driving before swapping over, he in a suit and smart shoes, and me in my Goodwood overalls etc.. After about five laps he said he would have one more lap before going in. On Lavant, the long straight with a slight kink towards Shell Corner, he decided to pull over towards the infield to let an Audi V8 pass. OOOPS- bad idea. He drove straight onto the grass, still with his foot on the pedal and gyrated around and around before going backwards into the outer tyre wall, still with his foot on the pedal. We had been doing 130 mph, and, although I attempted to nudge the steering, he had a very firm grip and wouldn't budge. Result- one write off, and one Andrew with an S-shaped spine. I believe the engine, like yours was the only part to be salvageable.
Bits of the South West are beautiful, thank you, as are parts of the North. I manage to bypass Cutlery capital on my way to Selby to see my family, usually on my way to the Lakes eventually. Was there recently to watch the 47th Coniston Power boat Records week. 105mph in a helicopter gas turbine engined hydroplane......................................................
Enjoy your racing for as long as you can.
Andrew
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

Skydiving- would that not involve a parachute? Apart from aiding the ground from breaking a descent, I have seen images of them retarding speed and acceleration of both aeroplanes and cars. Whereas I am seeking a solution to going faster, not only on the straights but also the squiggly bits of the circuit.
Apparently I cannot tap into the Cern Large Hydran Collider where I am led to believe they know a thing or three about acceleration. Okay also collisions (but only particles). But the principles look sound.
I would also need to downscale a tad to keep within the new Plus 8 weight limits imposed by the technical committee, format Cern it seems there are some 10,000 superconducting magnets involved weighing well in excess of many many tonnes. Notwithstanding the vast Helium coolant. Its just as well i don’t have a passenger seat. Further, on the design front it seems there is some sort of ring arrangement of magnets which might breach the roll protection bar height limits. However, obstacles are only there to be overcome.
On further inspection it would appear that I am on an inclined plane wrapped helically around an axis. i.e. screwed.
Back to extraterrestrial input.
peter
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Dear Peter, As a mere mortal I have not been initiated into the complexity of the revised regulations appertaining to Aero Challenge Class structures, therefore feel unable to offer any useful advice on 'going faster' in a V8 Morgan. However, I do feel that, as in the esoteric realms of Ef Wun, there are probably a variety of 'loopholes' that a clever chap like .. say Adrian Newey could usefully explore on your behalf. It might only take a few hours in a wind tunnel to improve both the roadholding and maximum speed of your 'pretty red car' (I assume that description does apply to a Morgan and not a place in Yorkshire?).
I understand that a certain Lewis Hamilton who drives for some foreign manufacturer in Ef Wun has a device attached to his vehicle that allows him to overtake other cars without the neccessity of displaying any great skill other than pressing a button. Something even you could probably manage with little tuition. A truly front running car could be produced with just a few 0's added to a £1 sign, and the expenditure a mere bagatelle when compared with the adulation of friends, fans, and family as you mount to the top step of the podium time after time.
Just imagine the chagrin of certain Morgan drivers as you whiz gaily past down the Hangar Straight, or slip neatly by into the Gooseneck. Glory and fame await! Sweep out the wallet, and spend, spend, spend, it will all be worthwhile as the Media clamour for interviews, and photographers compete for your attention, and disconslate rivals slink away.

Oh! Another thing! Ignore that Potter chappie, his knowledge of Quantum Fisicals appear delinquent from reading his posts.

Your greatest fan,

Bauble.
Regards
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

thank you Squire Bauble.
Naturally your proposal of a push to pass button merits further consideration, probably in conjunction with my proposal on the compulsory pit stop. On first inspection it would have to be exclusively for the pretty red car. One potential flaw is that often on my lonely perambulation of the circuits I don't see many cars to overtake, they mostly come from behind me in a mad processional rush. By the time i would have removed my glove to find my reading glasses in order to locate said button, they would have disappeared into the distance. I often console myself in reviewing my on board videos of noting the different cloud formations.
Still, hope springs existentially.
ps
on the extraterrestrial connectivity front I had thought of adding Mary's Spotter Guide to the Gold CD to supplement and complement Shakespeare.
peter
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

ps
careless talk.
we may have to keep shtum re some of revolutionary the off the wall suggestions so as not to excite the hibernating drivers.
pps
more than 7 out of 3 people do not understand fractions.
peter
TonyLees
Morgan Class B

Post by TonyLees »

look out! (gender neutral person) is behind you!
TonyLees
Morgan Class B

Post by TonyLees »

oops! I thought this was a Pantomime :D
Andrew Potter

Post by Andrew Potter »

Peter- Have you tried SpaceX?
SpaceX I said, not Spandex.
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

Signor Lees, isn’t it a little early for you to be imbibing? No this is not a pantomime. That potboiler/escapade is normally instigated by one or all of those who, in strange and wild apparel, resembling creatures of elder world
gaze into a steaming cauldron chanting double, double toil and trouble. From whence some esoteric topic emerges, often unrelated to the seasons festivities. Miscreants in the past have been Bellinger, Lindsay, Green and Bauble.
For certainty, this is not a pantomime. Its an extremely serious and engaging topic with consequences for all. It is not an antediluvian concept. Notwithstanding a step change in all readers knowledge of Science and Mafematics..
Back to topic. Ah the gulf between ambition and ability.
I note that 50% ( that is almost half) of the contributions are from the few cognoscenti. In the meantime, on the design front…
ps
a quick word—-velocity.
pps
Andrew is that spandex ballet?
peter
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

I may not have too long to wait in elicting e response from extraterrestrial intelligence in my quest. It seems that an object (named after a jumble of letters and numbers) has intruded into our solar system from interstellar space. reaching speeds of 55 mile per second. it doesn’t say whether that is in first or second gear.
Seti (Search for Extraterrestrial Life), yes there is such a body with oodles of funding, will mount a full scale monitoring program. I seem to have missed all of the previous reports from Seti on successful contacts with the outer world. Hollywood and a notorious anthropologist Richard Attenborough are on full alert.
Back to the lab to translate the Spotters Guide into Binary Numbers or hieroglyphics. A Nobel prize awaits.
Sacre Bleu. I am fully charged. Action this day. I must take the tide at the flood and sail on to fortune.
ps
I went to the ballet once but I couldn't hear a word they said.
peter