Snetterton

Race chatter
peter rafter

Snetterton

Post by peter rafter »

I thought it advisable to inform fellow entrants to the forthcoming race at Snetterton that there may well be a surfeit of waived white flags. Many of you will recognise that the white flag is synonymous not only with the Italian and French Armed Forces but more importantly, in motor racing under FIA regulations it signifies a slow moving vehicle on the circuit. This will be the pretty red car hopefully making a return outing following a unwarranted absence.as its intrepid owner underwent surgery. The medicos have lifted their sanction on racing conditional on minimizing stress which as a consequence means it will make its usual stately progress around the circuit, sometimes even on the correct racing line. Please give it a wide berth

In recent times the last race of the season has been on the 300 circuit. However, this year it is the 300 circuit which some think has more squiggly bits than are really neccessary. This is important in my latest project regarding “aerodynamics” All will be familiar with concepts, cause and effects. In this particular case “minimizing steering wheel input” . Apparently turning the steering wheel. creates friction to the forward motion of the car which in turn creates blockage in the air and affects the “aero” across the car. With this in mind I had thought of finding a way of going round a corner without turning the steering wheel—alas as yet to no avail.
ps
I may also be entering the pit stop race and if there a noticeable improvement in performance this may or not be attributable to another driver
pps
The same medicos who restricted my appearances this season also reccommend at least 2 alcohol free days a week. I am looking to employ a chap in the local village to do my 2 days.
Pps
Andrew, I know you had been saving hard to be able to buy me a cup of coffee at Castle Combe. However, perhaps next year, so do not on any account give up the paper round.
Regards to all.and pray fine weather.
peter
Richard Smith

Re: Snetterton

Post by Richard Smith »

Best of luck Peter....drove past your house yesterday...your lawn needs mowing!!!
Richard Smith
Unstone Green, Derbyshire
1993 4/4 1.6efi MSCC 11823
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

...your lawn needs mowing!!!
Luckily he has a pretty red lawnmower...
Andrew Potter

Post by Andrew Potter »

Very glad to hear that both yourself and Roger Whiteside have been given clean bills of health. I will, indeed, look forward to meeting up next year, perhaps. At Castle Combe time, being in the land of pasties and there being a full moon I thought it safer for you all for me not to attend.
Andrew
Phill Thomas
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Phill Thomas »

Peter can we have a pre-race session on clarifying hand signals?

Last year's "Watch out, there's a lot of oil there!" was interpreted by me as "Please pass on this side." Luckily the pretty red car's brakes were strong enough to avoid calamity.
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Phil, all of 'Compo's' hand signals should be treated with caution, especially the ones that use only two of his ten digits.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Andrew Potter

Post by Andrew Potter »

'There's a lot of oil down there' usually refers to the BDC meeting at Silverstone, if my memory serves me correctly. Would the hand signals referred to be from the 1931 Highway Code, a reference tome of which many Bentley drivers, Peter, Bob and myself would have had to learn by rote in those distant days of learning to drive? Or perhaps with Peter's superior technical nouse a set of aerodynamic semaphore indicators might be more applicable, in red, of course.
Andrew
TonyLees
Morgan Class B

Post by TonyLees »

Sorry I will miss your re-appearance.
have fun :)
SimonScott

Post by SimonScott »

Good luck at Snet everyone. May the best man win! =D>
And if Peter doesn't win, I still hope it's a good race! :lol:
Formerly #64 - Class E 4/4 Sport Comp and Class R Lwt Roadster...
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

Most enjoyable to catch up with some of the usual suspects at the last race of the season at Snetterton. Mrs. Orebi Gan, fresh from Monza and in one of those impressive newfangled electric vehicles, deputised for a pneumonia affected Mrs Thompson. More to the point there was no end of term nosebag for entrants and supporters, so some went hungry for the long trek home.There was disappointedly a somewhat depleted entry list despite the prospect of an additional pit stop race to conclude the series. In retrospect however there are still a few damaged cars from previous excursions and incidents in the season. To add to the complement Mr. Hamilton-Smith unaccountably rearranged the shape of the factory Club Sport in a difficult and miserably wet testing session on Friday. Mr Milbank didn’t appear, although I hope he did not enter the wrong Snetterton coordinates into the SATNAG as did one famous snooker player. Nevertheless we were blessed with both the retiring and incoming Chair of the series. Long live the King.
Early morning qualifying was challenging on a damp and, in lots of places, a slippery track which troubled the more powerful cars. Caution prevailed over ambition, although Mr Plant pirouetted on the Bentley strait to embrace the armco (big hammer time for Chas) and someone decided to plough the entry to Murrays and leave a trail of bollards and rich brown fertile Norfolk earth to add to the excitement. Newboy Mr. Gilbert was reliant on the good offices of the timekeepers to record a time without a transponder.
I spotted an old codger in the paddock scribbling away in one of those former era Pitman shorthand books later to be deciphered and extemporised and embellished into the format otherwise known as the race report, including relevant rumour, scandal. and gossip, the absence of which may be rectified with some creative thinking. I even waived to him as i tootled by on the circuit as he hid behind the barriers sneakingly snapping away obviously in the hope of displaying his wares on that bane of modern life , the Internet. My family much enjoy the paddock pics over to the side, front and rear views of the various cars. Our resident Scruitineer shuffled between the assembly area and the paddock.
A dry track mercifully welcomed the most important race of the day, and all away safely, some even 3 abreast into Riches to inevitably concertina and compress at the entry to the Wilson hairpin, and then unwind through the inner circuit complexity of the 300 circuit. The official race report will explain the race drama as it unfolded, that is if he can read his jottings. i needed a telescope to see some of the cars, although i graciously allowed a blue plus 4 (Mr. Bellinger senior) to renter the tarmac strip circuit between Oggies and Williams after it appeared to be nudged off line.
I believe that the retiring Chairman set a personal best or lap record.
However, poor Mr. Orebi Gan retired after only 4 laps (I presume the car is still under warranty) which led to its withdrawal from the pit stop race and thereby relieving Mr Emberson ( Co driver) resplendent in his winter shorts, of the obligation to bring home the lovely coloured AR V6 to victory. All entrants appeared content and satisfied with their efforts at the traditional prize ceremony , held as usual in completion with needless interruptions from the race loudspeaker.
Felicitations to Mr Hurst and Mr. Thompson and to the other class winners.
The pit stop race was restricted to 6 cars but enjoyed the early autumn sunshine strategically placed to blind drivers as they blast along the Senna Strait. Two imported drivers from the MG series triumphed on the day in grey ARV6 on loan from Mr Thompson (no details of bribes or consideration involved) . followed by Messrs Hirst and Thomas who led the van for the Morgan Fraternity, Mr Thompson returned to his roots in partnering Mr. Gilbert in a well known Roadster. Messrs Cole, Richards family and Thorne/ Rafter completed the set. The pretty red car looked and sounded the pick of the bunch.
My regards to all and good look for those unhinged drivers entering the Birkett and the Anglesey night race in November.
peter
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

As one who has been known to pen the occasional odd word or two on the happenings at Aero Challenge rounds, I tend to think that if any particular competitor is somewhat leas than grateful to see his name in glowing encomium of his efforts, then a less charitable view might be forthcoming in future editions. Offering cheap jibes, and disrespectful comment on those who always strives to do their best to bring the good news form Ghent to Aix really is the height of folly, unless a person is so besotted with their own image that public ridicule is 'water off a ducks back' to them.
I do not have any particular person in mind when making these comments …. but watch it compo! [-X
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Andrew Potter

Post by Andrew Potter »

A gallant effort PTR, which makes me believe that the new Sheffield Steel kingpins in your posterior regions provided you with no pain. Whilst not there in person I watched your efforts from the TSL website, in both your races, glad to be imagining your return efforts.
Well done.
Andrew
SimonScott

Post by SimonScott »

But who actually won the Morgan Challenge and hence the illustrious Peter Collins Trophy? :?:
Was the esteemed thespian Tony Hirst Esq? Pray tell...
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Indeed it was Tony Hirst and well done to him.
Andrew Thompson won the AR Motorsport trophy, well done to him also.
SimonScott

Post by SimonScott »

Congratulations Tony! =D>
Not sure you will be able to cope with being in the spotlight though... :lol:
So the Peter Collins trophy returns from north of the border for a change... :O:
Roll on 2020, hopefully with larger grids! [-o<