1985 Morgan Challenge

Race chatter
Bob Bull

1985 Morgan Challenge

Post by Bob Bull »

Dear Friends,
I am currently working on an article to be published in the MOG Magazine on the origins of the Morgan Challenge, which is intended to be spread over the June and July editions. I would like to include as many personal stories as possible, from as many people as possible to ensure an accurate, and interesting account of who did what. I believe that Rick Bourne was one of the prime movers in getting the series off the ground, so any help there would be gratefully received. Also any pictures from the early races would be very useful, and would be fully acknowledged in the article.
If you can assist I can be reached by bob@rbma.co.uk, and if anyone would be wiling to talk on the phone please let me know a number I can contact you on.
I hope the idea of a permanent record of the early days will encourage participation. :lol:

In the meanwhile do stay safe, and I will ensure my camera does not rust until needed again.

Cheers,

Bob
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Re: 1985 Morgan Challenge

Post by jack bellinger »

Dinner Party at Ricks Mums on Saturday night
a lot of port
big hangover Sunday
with a meet at the pub in Barnet I thought it was the Arkley
then another meet in another pub in Barnet to decide to go racing "I think ???/" much to much alcohol
The rest is history
Andy Downes will know what really happened he was there in mind and spirit!!
His memory will be much more accurate

I think we were sponsored by Broadbent Learner the first year

jack
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Thanks for the memory.
Good stuff Jack, I want to use as many personal memories as possible so I will quote you verbatim. Any further thought will be welcome.

Ta,

Bob

Anyone else?
Regards
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

If anyone has pictures from the time I could use, they too would be very useful, and credited as appropriate.
Bob.

NB; Before anyone responds. NO I was not taking pictures at that time.
Regards
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

I have details of the first three races, Snetterton, Mallory Park and Lydden Hill, also BDC Silverstone, can anyone remember if there was a race in between, and how may rounds there were in total.?

Thanks,

Bob
Regards
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

I did them all and will have a look this weekend to see what I can find Bob.
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Please do Mary, I have to have submitted the article by the 15th, and will need a day or so to get it all together.
It is surprising how little info is available in the public domain.

Thanks,

Bobby.
Regards
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

In those days Bob we did it just for fun and were of little interest to the motoring press. People did stuff and didn't blether on about it to others!
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Diligence brings it's own reward, I have tracked down all of the results from 1985, and can produce a history of the 1985 season, however, I want it to be more than a list of events. I would therefore truly appreciate as many personal anecdotes, memories, stories, etc to make it come alive. No matter how trivial please wrack you brains and drag up those 'unforgettable moments' in your life, and share them with a younger generation, and fellow Morgan types.
Many of the names I find have long disappeared from the entry lists, so if you have contact with any of the 'Old Boys' please ask them or pass on details so I can have a chat if they are agreeable.

Many thanks all,

Bob.
Regards
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

Scibe Bob.
I hope you secure pics however sepia tinted.
However, I am sure you will not have overlooked, possibly as a link from the past to the present at least to 2015 when it was taken, that fine photograph of the Reunion, showing an assembly of residual drivers, that adorns this host site
Morganchallenge
Series Information
History-UK

In 2015 it celebrated its 30th year and there was a distinct party feel in the paddock at Brands Hatch on 31st August when the Morgan Sports Car Club ran its annual race meeting. This event was the focal point for the anniversary celebrations. Some of those who took part in the first ever race at Snetterton are still competing in the Challenge and were on the grid at Brands Hatch. They include John Milbank, Jack Bellinger, Barry Sumner, Leigh Sebba and Mary Lindsay.
regards
peter
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

am sure you will not have overlooked,[/quote

Indeed not Peter, I have the picture, and was in fact present on that day, it was very wet.

Thank you for your thoughts.
Regards
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

I probably have contact info for most of the competitors as I chased them up for the 30 anniv.
If you want me to circulate a standard e mail then let me have it
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Thanks Leigh, will do.
Regards