Mike Bell

Race chatter
Bob Bull

Mike Bell

Post by Bob Bull »

I am sure many here will be saddened to hear that Mike Bell has died recently. Mike had been suffering from cancer, which was not diagnosed until a late stage.
A tribute site has been set up on the Ten/Tenths motor sport forum (Tributes) where there are many messages from a multitude of friends and admirer.
Mike was a Morgan owner and occasional racer, as well as driving Simon OG's SLR in two driver events.

Mike was a friend to everyone who met him, and will be very sadly missed.

R,I,P Mike Bell.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Andy Green
Morgan Class B

Re: Mike Bell

Post by Andy Green »

Mike was also a Gilbern Gt owner although he often referred to his car as a Gilbert
In 2013/4 Dan Ward and myself also restored a Gilbern Gt and we went to see Mike and his car at his workshop near Snet
He could not have been more helpful and we incorporated all his suggestions etc
My red car was finished in 2015 and then rested for a few years due to my clerking work etc
However in 2018 I asked Mike to test the car at Silverstone, which he did and he made some recommendations ref springs/damper settings etc
This despite a smell of fuel when the fuel filler became detached and the boot filled with petrol! (he just said can you smell something odd ?)
I changed the springs, adjusted the axle location as he suggested and the car was tested again at Castle Coombe earlier this year by its new owner who was very impressed with the handling! (indeed the car will race this season--sometime)

A lovely man with so many friends in every paddock---may he rest in peace
TonyLees
Morgan Class B

Post by TonyLees »

We have lost another damn fine chap. A hyper-fit, racing snake with a penchant for posh lorries.
gregparnell

Post by gregparnell »

I didn't know Mike well but spent time chatting with him at Spa in 2018 when he invited me to look around his magnificent transporter which left me feeling very jealous. Sad to hear he has passed on.
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

A very fine fellow , helpful and so tolerant of we less knowledgeable mortals..
ps
aside from the pantechnicon he had lovely pale blue morgan =4 (1959?) and a stunning Ford Esxcrt.
peter
SimonScott
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by SimonScott »

Formerly #64 - Class E 4/4 Sport Comp and Class R Lwt Roadster...
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Rather a nice photo as well, Simon. :o
Regards
RICHARD PLANT
Morgan Class E

Post by RICHARD PLANT »

Very sorry indeed to hear the news of Mike’s passing. A really wonderful guy who I got to know over a number of years, he will be greatly missed in the paddock.
simon king

Post by simon king »

Very sad news indeed. I didn't really know Mike, only ever having brief conversations, but very much admired his driving - more recently in last years Techniques trophy at BDC. I don't recall why Mike, driving Simon OG's +4, started down the grid (presume some issue in quali) but he certainly made up ground from the off with a fantastic start and making full use of the grass to get around us slower cars in front and went on to finish very well I think.

Simon
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

A link to Retro Speed, for anyone interested in Mike.

https://retro-speed.co.uk/showreports.asp?art=27959

Mike finished 4th in the 2018 Techniques Trophy Simon, and was adjudged Driver of the Race.
Regards
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

What a lovely obituary for a lovely guy.

I didn't know Mike well but when we met one another at a circuit somewhere, we greeted one another like old friends, just because we both loved the same things...

Cheers Mike.
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

For anyone who might like to remember Mike, the family have commissioned a 2021 calendar featuring Mike in various guises, including a few Morgans.

It is sold on a non-profit basis with proceeds going toward defraying the cost of printing, as other expenses have been provided free of charge,

A good cause, and a nice memento of a very special person.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114448629296

Cheers,

Bob
Regards
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

The Mike Bell Calendar can be ordered via the previous link, and orders will be sent out in early December. To date only 22 copies have been sold, a disappointing number for such a well respected man. I hope all here have placed an order, it does contain several Morgans.

It is all for a good cause.

Bob.
Regards