Brakehorsepower forum

Race chatter
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Brakehorsepower forum

Post by Mary Lindsay »

It seems that although a good number of people have been looking at posts on the forum they do not contribute or comment.

It has in the past been well supported as a source of information and the opportunity to exchange views and often humorous exchanges.

More recently only a few people use it regularly as they either don't do Facebook or because they prefer the conversational style of a forum.

The problem with Facebook is that it is ephemeral and to locate a topic you have to scroll a long way down. The format is always dictated by Facebook who occasionally change it which makes finding topics/views even more difficult.

Threads on a forum are organised so it is much easier to locate a specific topic and to see when someone has added a comment to a specific item.

We are reviewing the role of this forum. It would be good if more people used it and contributed instead of simply just watching it.

Suggestions and thoughts from contributors and silent observers will be appreciated.
Andrew Potter

Re: Brakehorsepower forum

Post by Andrew Potter »

Good evening, Mary.
I know that it has been ten years since I was an active part of the Morgan fraternity, but I, for one, would sadly miss the comments made on this forum, should it disappear. I would miss the considered, thought- provoking technical suggestions as much as I would miss the promotion of ‘The Pretty Red Car’ and its Pilot Ancien, and the asides from Jack, yourself, and Bob Bull. I loved racing in the Morgan Championship and have keen memories and film of slicing my way through Kelvin on the one side, and PTR on the other at Castle Combe, amongst others. I particularly enjoyed The Bentley meetings and Mallory Park, as much as I liked racing against Ulrich. So, a plea from me to keep going, please. I follow the goings on avidly, even if I don’t contribute.
Andrew
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

Well said Andrew, I hope you remain fit and well and continue to follow our exploits on and off track.
Cry shame to those sowers of sedition that suggest the demise of the Forum.
peter
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Thank you gentlemen! =D>

I know that you are both loyal and regular users of the forum and I am hoping to encourage others to follow your excellent example! :OO:
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

I can see that there have been 48 views of this topic. Either one or two people cannot tear themselves away or there are a lot of observers! :roll:

Reveal yourselves and give an opinion please!!!

](*,)
ian cummings
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by ian cummings »

well it's probably a good place to hello
As a non racer I usually just lurk to follow the racing, I usually compete in trials and the occasional sprint.
the forum layout is good for being able to find older threads & posts something that gets lost using Facebook. this has been great, having just acquired my Granddad's supersport, to find some older race history.

Ian
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Thank you for responding Ian and welcome!

The forum is intended for people just like you and your occasional input would be appreciated.

If you post some details about the car I am sure that people out there will be able to help with information. Machiel Kalf runs the Morgan Historic Register and has a wealth of photos and information about older Morgans especially the older Plus 4s. He almost certainly has some information about your car.
machiel kalf

Post by machiel kalf »

Hallo Ian,

THANKS Mary!

As Mary mentioned, if we or I can help, please, let me know. Are you a member of the MSCC? If so you can read every month the Morgan Historic News (MHR). You can register your +4 Super Sports as well. Of course you can use this forum. That's the reason it''s created. If you have a more personal question, please, or you like to register, don't hesitate to use my private Email address: machielkalf@ziggo.nl

Look forward to your response,

Machiel.
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi all,

I won't repeat my post from the Morgan Challenge Forum but suffice to say Andrew has summed it up perfectly!

And Ian illustrates why it is so important to keep it going.

I am sure between Ian and Machiel there is the makings of an interesting story to be aired on brakehorsepower!

Cheers,

Mark
machiel kalf

Post by machiel kalf »

Thanks for the kind words Mark.

The point is that if we can help, we have to do that. For that, and some other reasons, we made a start with the MHR.

Have a great weekend,

Machiel.
ian cummings

Post by ian cummings »

Thanks Mary / Machiel

yes I'm a member of the MSCC and a serial Morgan owner like the rest of my family has been!
I'll start a new thread about the supersport it would be great to fill in some gaps

Ian
Andy Downes

Post by Andy Downes »

Hello Mary,

The thing I like about Brakehorsepower is that it has a special place for all the puerile and ridiculous comments, and then plenty of other places for the other sensible stuff ! the new thread from Ian Cummings is a perfect example of the things it can do and its competitive 'bent' gives it a character and purpose that other more social forums and platforms lack.

Personally I would be very sad to see it fade, I used to comment more than I do now but I still look at it frequently (most weeks) and discover things I don't pick up anywhere else - your new Bentley Drivers Club date is a topical example.

I can't put it more succinctly than that.

Have Fun 8-) 8-) 8-)
Andy
'Skipper'
gregparnell

Post by gregparnell »

Please keep this forum going - I look in regularly and contribute occasionally. If it were to be discontinued it would remove an important link for us racers and enthusiasts which WhatsApp probably could not replicate.
Ps and I don't do the F***Book!
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

I would certainly miss being able to post puerile nonsense somewhere, and this seems as good a place as any to do that. I also find it useful for snippets of information such as mentioned earlier the BDC meeting.

I don't even mind the occasional insult from Jack. :lol:

It can also provide a place to seek help, such as how can one get into Donington when the media are banned?

Another very good reason to contribute to the forum is to show Mary that her efforts are fully appreciated, I for one (even as a non-Morgan owner) find BHP a pleasure to visit, long may it continue, and to thrive.

Finally to the idle and shiftless who just can't be bothered to make an effort I say .................... [-X

Come on good people we are supposed to be locked up so should have time to castigate a stroppy interloper. :evil:
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Thank you for your support Bob, I wondered why we hadn't heard from you! :-k

If you are referring to yourself as a "stroppy interloper" then be assured that we regard you as an honorary member of our Morgan community! Your contributions exceed those of the majority! =D>