+4 Supersport

Race chatter
ian cummings
Anti spam question: MSA

+4 Supersport

Post by ian cummings »

I won't hijack Mary's thread about the forum,
I have recently acquired my granddad's, Cyril Charlesworth, supersport. FUE266C
it is currently at Williams being re commissioned this virus has rather slowed things down a bit.
I know it's early history but have been looking to see what I can find from when Peter Evans owned it.

Machiel - let me know what info you need if it's not on your register.

Ian
Andy Downes

Re: +4 Supersport

Post by Andy Downes »

Hello Ian Cummings,

I know that car, Peter Evans was in my winning Birkett 6-hour Relay Team in 1978 - Anglemog Saxons at Donington.

I last saw it with Peter at the MSCC Curborough Sprint in September 2004 - he told me it was still on the same 'wooden' tyres he had run during the Relay Race !

I attach a couple of pictures from the 2004 Sprint and I have a couple more, PM me if you want copies. I'm afraid I don't have any from that winning Relay Team (my debut as Team Manager, with genuine Thanks to Mary Lindsay) but Mary may well have in her archives.

Great to hear it's 'back in the family' so to speak and I look forward to seeing it soon.

Very Best Wishes
Andy

ImageImage
'Skipper'
ian cummings

Post by ian cummings »

That's great Andy PM on it's way :)
Granddad sold the car to Peter in 1970. I assumed it must have vanished long ago, but over New Year Williams just posted a picture of the back of a yellow +4, which I recognised straight away. arranged with Henry for Mom & Me to go and see it and it didn't take much to persuade me it needed to come home!
it's currently mid way through having a new clutch

Ian
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Peter_Evans_Plus4_22F_sml.jpg
Peter_Evans_Plus4_22F_sml.jpg (105.55 KiB) Viewed 5946 times
Peter Evans driving in the 1978 Six Hour Relay for the Anglemog Saxons team.
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

I have some film of the race that was taken on a cine camera and then converted to DVD.
ian cummings

Post by ian cummings »

that's great Mary, would love to see the film sometime.
I've quite a few pictures of both granddad & mom competing in trials & sprints from the 60's it's nice to see the car carried on being used.
Andy Downes

Post by Andy Downes »

Hello again Ian,

Email sent with photos.

I always thought I would try and buy the +4 SS. But when I met Peter again at Curborough in 2004 he was such a gentleman and clearly loved the car that it just seemed rude to ask !

I'll look out the 1978 6-hour Relay reports for you.

Have Fun 8-) 8-) 8-)
Andy
'Skipper'
ian cummings

Post by ian cummings »

Andy, thanks for the email and photos, sadly I never got to meet Peter, I did see the car at Curborough in 2005 but no one was was with it!
Hope to be able to see Mike again at a noggin once all this is over.
Maybe I'll need to get some new tyres fitted

Ian
Andy Downes

Post by Andy Downes »

Hello Ian,

That's a shame, I didn't know Peter well (2 meetings in 25 years !) but he recognised me, and I him at Curborough. To my mind he was a gent of the old school, he looked a bit 'stiff upper lip' but in reality he was warm and friendly with a wide smile and he simply loved driving that car.

It also occurs to me that the other place you might get some information is in the Sprint & Hillclimb section of these Forums - I think they're restricted to Registered Competitors of the Speed Championship but I'm sure someone there could help you out.

Have Fun 8-) 8-) 8-)
Andy
'Skipper'
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

Ian
You are probably aware that there are very few ‘genuine’ factory 1960s Super Sports cars in the UK. A number of cars that race are described as such as they are to the SS spec. Apart from TOK and XRX 1 that race the only regular factory SS race car is Simon King’s FOJ. John Clarke and Jim Deacon both used to race them but both cars were sold to overseas. There are also perhaps four or five others that are road cars. I did have a list years ago but it is now out of date. One of the nicest is AWP 77B which appears from time to time. There is currently a LHD car for sale at Beamish.
ian cummings

Post by ian cummings »

Leigh,
this why I was so surprised to see it. I had assumed it would have left the country long ago if it survived at all.

Granddad's car was built and recorded by the factory as a super sports dispatched Aug 65. it was built with steel body and bench seat as Cyril competed in trials rather than racing, health meant he was unable to get a race licence.
the car has changed colour but there are many features, along with numbers matching, that tie it to being the same car.

Hopefully it wont be long before it can come back out of hibernation :OO:
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Hopefully it wont be long before it can come back out of hibernation
We all look forward to that Ian!
simon king

Post by simon king »

Well done Ian - I guess your grandad would be equally delighted! Always nice to hear about other Supersports still out there.

Simon (FOJ)
ian cummings

Post by ian cummings »

well granddad always said it was the best Morgan he ever drove. Getting out of the ARP4 into the SS it felt so easy to drive!

I guess the modifications that would be needed to start racing would be prohibitive, and change the car too much but hopefully I'll be able to do the odd sprint and trial
machiel kalf

Post by machiel kalf »

Hallo Leigh,

After re-reading the responses on the +4 Super Sports who belongs to the new owner Ian Cummings , I noticed that you had a list of genuine +4 Super Sports in the UK. Is it an idea, to realize that again? But not just for the UK, but for several other countries in Europe or maybe even The USA. Maybe with the help of the MHR. I can do an announcement in MHR-News. (Miscellany) We can do that for several other models as well. For example the DHC's and +4+'s.

Another idea: 2022: Celebration of "60 years after Le Mans 1962". There are still some people with us who played a role in that time. If we wait longer.......

Look forward to the responses!

Best regards, stay safe,

Machiel.