Griff Griffiths - WANTED Information - Can You Help ?

Race chatter
Andy Downes
Anti spam question: MSA

Griff Griffiths - WANTED Information - Can You Help ?

Post by Andy Downes »

Griff Griffiths was a leading light in the Morgan competition world in the 1960s, both as a car preparer and a driver. He was a founding member of the MSCC London Centre and had a workshop in Willesden North London.

We have had a request via Gill Bevan the MSCC Membership Secretary for any information or anecdotes or paperwork (race results etc.) or photos.

It is on behalf of Griff's son Alan who was 11 years old when his father died in a boating accident in 1973, Alan is keen to discover all he can about his father's Morgan life.

Mary Lindsay has a set of results from 1969 Bentley Divers Club, she has also included a scan from the back of Miscellany again in 1969 showing Griff in a +4 Registration 774 ACV in one of his adverts - The DVLA site shows it as taxed until October 2021.

Griff was just before my time but I remember seeing a magazine 'Hot Car' with Griff in an orange racing Morgan OYP 574 on the cover, another +4 ? - link Here

If you have any information please post it here or send me a PM and I will coordinate anything that turns up.

Many Thanks in advance.

Andy

'Skipper'
Barry Sumner

Re: Griff Griffiths - WANTED Information - Can You Help ?

Post by Barry Sumner »

Hi Andy
if I recall rightly Griff had a garage in Windsor for a short while, some were I am sure I have got the Hot Car article and I think there was one in Car & Car Conversions as well.
Will see if I can find
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

I have found an invoice from 1970 where he put a new radiator in my 4/4 for £30 – 15 – 0.

Will e mail you
Eddie Singleton

Post by Eddie Singleton »

Andy,
I have sent some information to your mscc.mhr.assist email address. I hope you find it interesting and helpful with this enquiry, and that you are able to upload to this site.
Regards,
Eddie Singleton.
Andy Downes

Post by Andy Downes »

Thanks Barry, Leigh, Eddie, for your quick responses, I have also heard from Peter Mountain, Andy Garlick and John Lindsay. It seems many were aquainted with Griff but nobody (so far) really knew him ! He did indeed have a place near/at Windsor at some time.

Don't let that stop you though - all information is much appreciated.

Barry, the magazine articles would be good.

I will post below the stuff Eddie mentioned as soon as I get a minute.

Andy
'Skipper'
Andy Downes

Post by Andy Downes »

Here are the photos from Eddie Singleton, when the car was recently for sale on the Internet - I wonder if the current owner has any idea about its competition history...

Link Car & Classic

Andy

'Skipper'
Phil Coldicott

Post by Phil Coldicott »

Unrelated, but Dad's Plus 4 was OYP575.....
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

I was offered an early 1960's (c.1963/64) 4/4 that had belonged to Griff. It was ordered from the factory with a Lawrencetune hardtop - there was no hood frame or hood. It had got several other Griff mods as you would expect.

It would have been nice to have restored it back to period race spec. but I already had another Morgan project in hand and the asking price precluded me from taking another project on!

Cheers,

Mark
Andy Downes

Post by Andy Downes »

Barry Sumner & Keith Morris have turned up this article from Motor in 1972 - Thanks guys.

If anyone wants a PDF copy please let me know.

Andy

'Skipper'
Phil Coldicott

Post by Phil Coldicott »

I wonder what the chassis number was? As it's a 1954, I imagine it started life as an interim cowl model before it was rebodied.