Bob Northover

Race chatter
Barry Sumner

Bob Northover

Post by Barry Sumner »

It is with great sadness that I have to tell you that our dear friend Bob Northover sadly passed away, peacefully, at the weekend, after a lengthy brave battle with cancer.

Bob as many of you will know went under the alias of the Rev I R Drotcart, the driving force behind the “Alternative Plus 4 Championship” and all things Plus 4.
His infectious “Tigger” enthusiasm knew no bounds, often arriving crack of sparrow to an event, when the rest of the +4 fraternity would have camped out under canvas and consumed a little too much Wadsworth the night before.

It was Bob’s gentle, constant, cajoling of the writer to “buy a proper Morgan” (+4) that led to NYF 452.

He will be sorely missed, and our condolences to Karin and the boys, for even days before his death he still had that rascally twinkle in his eye

RIP Bob

Barry
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Re: Bob Northover

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Well said Barry, Bob was a one-off larger-than-life character and he will be sorely missed.
I am planning to write a piece in Miscellany about him and anyone who can send me photos or memories please do.

Here is a photo of him playing the fool outside the Bell in Feering, wearing Plus 4s of course!
Bob_Northover_Bell_1977.jpg
Bob_Northover_Bell_1977.jpg (63.88 KiB) Viewed 2409 times
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

Very sorry to hear that. Remember him well and have sent you a pretty pic from my archives
Andy Downes
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Andy Downes »

Thanks Barry.

That is sad news. Bob told me a while back that he was ill but typically asked not to broadcast it as he wanted to deal with it himself and in his own way.

He did an immense amount for old Morgans during the 1980s and 90s as you will know well.

Like many I also came under his tutelage - he was the Team Manager at my first involvement with the Birkett 6-Hour Relay in 1976. Two years later I was thrust into the Manager role alongside him when Mary Lindsay entered two Morgan Teams in the Birkett at Donington "...because apart from Bob you know most about running the Relay Team...". Something rubbed off because I immediately managed to get a couple of extra handicap laps out of the Handicapper (much to my surprise!).

A few years later at the Willhire 24 Hour Races I again followed him into management of the Bulldog Morgan Team when having set the standards himself, he handed over to the late Terry Howes and me.

A true enthusiast and his slightly eccentric manner made him all the more interesting - he certainly put his Morgan where his mouth was - Goodbye Bob.

Andy
'Skipper'
Kelvin Laidlaw
Morgan Class D

Post by Kelvin Laidlaw »

I am very saddened to hear this news. Although I have never been properly educated i.e. owned a Plus Four, I remember Bob's kindness and selfless enthusiasm when I started racing. I can still see his +4 (?called Poppy) dancing in front of me at my first race at Castle Combe in 1985. I have subsequently been partially educated as Barry Sumner kindly loaned me NYF one year for the Techniques Trophy at Silverstone.

Bob was such a lovely man and will be greatly missed.

Kelvin
Barry Sumner

Post by Barry Sumner »

Joe, Bob's son has sent me details of the funeral enclosing the general invite saying
So please feel free to forward onto those asking.
Everyone is welcome but they just need to be aware there is limited seating in the church.
Lots of space for the wake afterwards.
Mum asking if people could bring their cars? parking tricky at the church but she thinks they would make a happy display at the farm afterwards.

Bobs funeral will be held on 14th October at 1pm, Emmanuel Church, Apsley Road, Bristol
There is limited seating inside the church, but a lovely large garden there.
We will then be at Kelston Park Farm (Bath Soft Cheese Co), BA1 9AG from 2pm for food and drink and to hear more stories about Bob.

Barry