Welcome Morgan Series 1 Owners

Series I talk - racing or otherwise

Moderator: John Clarke

Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Re: Welcome Morgan Series 1 Owners

Post by Leigh Sebba »

There is an annual Series 1 trophy presented at the annual Morgan Club dinner for the best competetive performance (trials, sprints, races, etc). As I recall it Mary won it that year. I said to her that the only event she did in the Series 1 was to practice for the relay - and that was thwarted when the car collapsed. She replied that that was more than anyone else did in a Series 1.
TonyLees
Morgan Class B

Post by TonyLees »

Sadly it is all too easy to win that trophy in more recent times - come on you lot - get out there!
The series one trophy above all others IMHO is the Little Millie Trophy. Arthur Neal was a true gentleman.
John Clarke
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by John Clarke »

Sadly it is all too easy to win that trophy in more recent times - come on you lot - get out there!
Hi Tony - as far as I am aware there is the Charlesworth Trophy for the best overall performance in the club championship in a Series 1 - this is tricky to win unless you take your race car on production car trials or hills recognised by the club.

The other one to win is the The Mille Trophy which is "awarded to the person or people who have contributed to the preservation and use of the Series 1". I agree with you that it is the best trophy. I am proud to say I have won the Millie Trophy twice in 2003 and 2007 - again this is very difficult to win as racers are competing with restorers, concours types, mud pluggers, historians and all round good eggs!!

john
TonyLees
Morgan Class B

Post by TonyLees »

Hi John,
Sorry I did mean in club events as I know your series one is campaigned noon and night worldwide :)
it's them others I was getting at ;-)
Jen and I have both won the Charlesworth by dint of entering one or two club events.
We need more series ones to compete against.
I too was the proud recipient of the LMT many moons ago :-)
See you at the POM
TonyLees
Morgan Class B

Post by TonyLees »

TonyLees wrote: Image
Someone from Miscellany stole my picture! :shock: =D> =D>
Chris Acklam

Post by Chris Acklam »

Another page three topless STUNNA ....
Chris
Andy Green
Morgan Class B

Post by Andy Green »

Actually all the readers of the mag are wondering why you drive the car from the passenger seat in a funny hat

Who has the media rights
TonyLees
Morgan Class B

Post by TonyLees »

hah!
"Yesterday in the snow - that's Phil "LeMans' Shepherd in the passenger seat"...
at least he wasn't topless :roll:
Mark Braunstein

Post by Mark Braunstein »

Hello. I finally and successfully found my way in! I would guess a bit of an introduction is in order. I have only one Series 1 at the moment, had two for a while, but finances crept into the picture, as did the wife. Previous car was a 1939 Roadster, Climax car. (I have attempted to post a small pic of the 39 at the end of this paragraph, but it may not show up, as I don't really know what I am doing.) Image

Also, much to the dismay of a few, I am in the US, Orlando Florida to be specific, and it will be 70F today. I have my car in pieces at the moment, waiting on the return of my Water Temp gage which is out for rebuild. The indicator needle broke off, like an old watch, with the second hand floating in the bottom behind the glass. Two weeks more they say.

Series 1s are a bit rare in the US. I know of maybe 10 on the East Coast that are running and would suspect another dozen or so on the West Coast. Most Series 1s are in garages, as future projects, piled in heaps or boxes. I know of only two race cars on the East Coast. run by Bob Wilson (1937 #373) and Carlton Shriver (1938 w/100e).

Anyway, glad to have found the door . . .

Mark
1938 DHC #500/600.
sam campion

Post by sam campion »

Hi
I have a series 1 4/4 from 1950 with a meadows box and standard special engine. I have been in the process of rebuilding it now for the last 30+ years though most of the time I have been getting married, changing jobs, producing children, building other things.

At last I am completely retired and desperate to get it finished whilst I am still breathing. So far most of the mechanics (engine, gearbox and axle) are done, I have a new rad courtesy of Mr. Barnes, 4 new wings, most auxillaries are done, I have a new chassis and front frame etc. all I have to do now is put it all together!

I could really do with a good look at someone's car, not in bits. Plus advice on some things like the windscreen, should it be toughened or laminated, what colour was the engine originally? I am up in the sunny north east, (Teesside), and a member of the MSCC.

If anyone is interested the car was bought by me in 1969 or '70 from a guy in Worcester and taken off the road to rebuild a few years later.

I do have a number of old bits esp. the old body panels, rad etc that I will probably be happy to dispose of a little later when the car is finished.

Sam Campion
TonyLees
Morgan Class B

Post by TonyLees »

Good to hear that there are some real Morgans out there!
You are welcome to come to sunny Leicesterhsire to see mine anytime.
btw I found LOADS of really interesting info here: http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/44index.htm
Regards, Tony