Parts Wanted for Series 1

Series I talk - racing or otherwise

Moderator: John Clarke

Bill Hughes
Anti spam question: MSA

Re: Parts Wanted for Series 1

Post by Bill Hughes »

On behalf of the restoration of #900, does anyone have access to a pre-war DHC to let me know what the fasteners which secure the hood rail on pre-war DHCs look like. It is extremely unlikely that any are available, but photographs or measurements which will enable some to be made would be very helpful.

Also, can someone take some very accurate measurements, sketches, photographs of an original pre-war DHC hood mechanism.

Thanks
Bill
simon king

Post by simon king »

Hi Bill,

not sure if you got the answer you're looking for but I have my DHC #758 in bits (boxes more closely reflects actual position) so will see what if anything I can add for you.

Regards,

Simon
Bill Hughes
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Bill Hughes »

Hi there,
Have found a reference in the ~1960s ‘Answers supplied by MMC’ page of the early yellow workshop manual that makes reference to a ‘conversion set’ to use Hoffmann LS11 (Skefco RLS9) bearings in the alloy front hubs of cars before ~#0596, which allows use of the ‘fully tapered’ stub axle to replace the obsolete non-tapered or partially tapered types.
The original inner bearings (MS10) of the alloy hub were 3/4” thick, the LS11 is only 5/8” thick.
Does anyone know what this conversion set comprises, if it is a spacer ring (fitted before the bearing), it may need a lengthened alloy cone to separate the bearing races. It could also be a modified (deepened) retaining ring ?
There is ~7/32” difference between the distance the step on the stub axle protrudes to locate the inner ring of the inner bearing, between the two stub axle types.
Regards
Bill