Ken Hill

Series I talk - racing or otherwise

Moderator: John Clarke

John Clarke
Anti spam question: MSA

Ken Hill

Post by John Clarke »

It is with great sadness that news has come through that Ken Hill passed away peacefully just before Christmas. The Morgan Plus Four Club's magazine, Format, carried this tribute

“Renowned Morgan author, Ken Hill passed away peacefully on the 21st
of December 2010. A father and grandfather, Ken will be sadly missed
by all of his family and friends.” From The Lymington Times & Advertiser
It was just a couple of months ago we mourned the passing of Janet Hill.
Now Ken has gone to join his loving wife. Ken and Janet were inseparable
in life and celebrated their 50th Wedding Anniversary in 2003. Barbara
and I were lucky enough to attend that event. Barbara and I met Ken and
Janet in 1980 at the Morgan 70th Anniversary meeting, in Beaulieu. We
immediately became good friends and have been so ever since. It is with a
sad heart that I pen these words.
Ken and Janet Hill had been members of the Morgan Plus 4 Club since
1981. They joined shortly after that Morgan Meeting at Beaulieu. At
that time, and for many years after, Ken was the Concours Chairman for the Morgan Sports Car Club, in
England. Ken and Janet were also internationally accredited Concours Judges and themselves organized
many motoring events.
Ken’s knowledge of Morgans was encyclopedic. Ken retired to Brockenhurst from the London
Metropolitan Police, where he was a dog handler for the bomb squad, after a serious and disabling
accident. Ken then set about with a new career writing books about Morgan’s and their history. Ken
wrote over a dozen books, including a humorous book, Save a Copper, about life with the Police Force
and a three-volume epic titled COMPLETELY MORGAN. Ken’s book, The Complete Book of Concours
should be required reading for any one who judges or shows a car. In 75 Years on the Road, Ken
illustrated the history of the Morgan Motor Company through their advertising. It was doubly
interesting in that it showed how Morgans perceived themselves (or would like to be perceived). Ken
was very proud when he was accepted as a member of the Guild of Motoring Writers.
Ken was also an insatiable collector of auto parts and memorabilia. Every year, he and Janet had a booth
at the annual Beaulieu Autojumble (swap-meet), which became a meeting place for all Morgan
enthusiasts. Ken and Janet’s various collections are legendary.
Ken & Janet became Honorary members of The Morgan Plus 4 Club in 1994. They donated the
“Bobbie’s Hat” that the Morgan Plus 4 Club now uses for our “Close Encounters” Trophy.
Ken’s (or should I say Janet’s) 1939 4/4 LeMans, “KPH” is nearly as famous as “TOK”, the Le Mans
winning Plus 4. “KPH” was lovingly restored by Ken and Janet and has now been passed on to their
son, Douglas Hill, who carries on the family tradition, being the curator of the National Motor Museum,
in Beaulieu.
Barbara and I will greatly miss both Ken & Janet. I am sure, however that they will both be long
remembered for their enthusiasm for the Morgan Sports Car and also their love of life and of each other.
Barbara and I and the entire Morgan Plus 4 Club extends its deep sympathy to Ken’s family on their loss.
Gerry Willburn,
President Morgan Plus Four Club

A huge loss to the Morgan world - my deepest sympathies to Doug.

John
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Re: Ken Hill

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Sad news indeed, the passing of a real enthusiast.