One Door Morgan

Series I talk - racing or otherwise

Moderator: John Clarke

John Clarke
Anti spam question: MSA

One Door Morgan

Post by John Clarke »

I attended the Morgan Owners Club of Australia (MOCA) Diamond Muster in Bathurst at the weekend (60 years of the club). A mere 5,000 miles round trip from Perth WA.

There was a super display of Morgans including this

It's a ONE DOOR Morgan! I believe it was used in the pre war telecoms industry and came into Australia as a rolling chassis.

According at Craig Atkins (Author of "Morgans in Oz"), just 68 Morgans arrived in Oz pre war and only seven with bodies, the rest as rolling chassis!

Check out the rear....

I managed to have a long chat with Steve Morris (Morgan MD) at Bathurst, he remembers paneling my doorless "Le Mans" Morgan as a then member of the tin shop. This was some 18 years ago - how time flies.

Cheers

John
8-)
John Clarke
Anti spam question: MSA

Re: One Door Morgan

Post by John Clarke »

I received this PM from John Merton via Bill Hughes

"The car is one of two imported in chassis form in 1947 and bodied here for the South Queensland Electricity Commission for use as powerline boundary inspection vehicles. They were both bodied similarly with no doors. Chassis numbers were 1665 and 1668.
This one, #1668, was restored by Alan Coulson who added a driver’s door so that his wife could get in and out more easily.
Its current owner is Margaret Snape and it was driven to the Muster by her husband, Edward. They live in Goulburn NSW.
I believe that the second car also still exists, but I don’t know its current whereabouts. It was advertised by then owner, Chris Pallister, in The “Morgan Ear” in May 2013. It looked complete but needed restoration."

Thanks guys.

cheers

John