British Grand Prix

Races, track days, testing ...
Bob Bull

British Grand Prix

Post by Bob Bull »

Hi all,
Just a quick word from yours truly up here at Siverstone, where it is very wet, and not at all glamorous, although I did have a pretty decent lunch courtesy of Ferrari (it's who you know that counts). I can tell you that you are lucky not to have to be here as very little is happening and excitement is conspicous by it's absence and it means an early start to the day with an uncertain future when it comes to going home. Still someone has to do it I supose.

Just thought you might be interested.

Bob Bull International Motor Sport Media Super Star.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Chris Acklam
Anti spam question: MSA

Re: British Grand Prix

Post by Chris Acklam »

Have a good weekend, Bob. Looking forward to hearing the real stories behind the headlines. :)
Chris
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

So far so good, Chris. Left home at 04.50 to meet my lift in friends pick-up truck (so much more suitable than an historic Astra for the conditions) and arrived in car park at 06.15. Most journos I have spoken to so far 09.10am, report no problems with traffic or access. Hopefully that will continue for the 'paying public', who have paid not inconsiderable amounts of money to get in, will manage to park up OK!
I wonder how Leigh's daughter is getting on as she was planning to camp over the weekend at the track as many were turned out of their camping ground and relocated into hard standing car parks.

Naturally I will keep this site up-to-date with all of the important developments on the catering front, but I would not want anyone to worry on my account, I can look after myself in any Media Scrum.

Kind regards to all my fans.

Bob 'Scoop' Bull.
Regards
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Arrived at 6.15am easy run in using the East Entrance, cloudy sky and a lot of puddles on the way up - looks like we had a rainy night, I wonder how Tamsin is fairing in the campsite?

I must say despite Silverstone urging the fans to turn up the grass car parks look decidedly dodgy, a BMW has been parked in the middle of one park all weekend, either he is stuck fast or is sleeping in the car!!!

Would not like to predict a winner, but Ferrari do lok strong here, with Massa in fifth three spots ahead of Hamilton, and Jenson a luck 18th. just squeezing in to second qualifying, but going no further.

I was amused to read that Silverstone had advised Bernie not to come on Saturday as he was arriving by road and could have trouble getting in, but he turned up anyway - arkward blighter ain't 'e?

I will let you know about progres later.

Cheers,

Bob.
Regards
Chris Acklam

Post by Chris Acklam »

Ah, the English summer - nothing quite like it. I'm coming over all nostalgic. ;-)

French television ignores Wimbledon, F1 qualifying and cricket (que?), so watched your pedalling compatriots do great things on La Planche des Belles Filles (before going to the beach).

I don't expect Bernie had to park in one of the grass car parks so, as long as the Marshalls allowed him in this time, we probably won't get the same hissy fit as last time.

Have fun today. Tell Jensen that 18th is a good place to win from...
Chris
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Sounds as if there is a lot to be said for French TV, Chris especially the lack of grunting tennis players, of any creed, colour or race. Luckily I can still watch Le Grand Boucle on the computers provided, so there are some bright spots to this dreary weekend.

Wiggins in the Maillot Journe (?) great to see.

Mes ami,

Bob.
Regards
Kelvin Laidlaw
Morgan Class D

Post by Kelvin Laidlaw »

Would not like to predict a winner, but Ferrari do lok strong here
There is no such thing as a free lunch. Even the best journos have to say the right thing after some corporate hospitality. Still if Morgan up their game from Le Mans to Grand Prix racing there will be a tipster backing them straight away.
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Should the 'Hallowed Marque' ever aspire to Grands Prix fame I know just the chap to handle Media Relations for them, he has just finished a nice lunch in the Ferrari Media unit, and I could always sound him out>

Weather pretty sunny at present so looking good for dry race so we might find out just who has the best grip on tyre technology, but if it should rain then maybe some of the traditional skills of drivers and teams could win the day.

Forza Ferrari!! (Well they did supply the 'free lunch'

Watch this space,

El Toro.
Regards
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Weather stayed dry, race more interesting than exciting although there was some very good 'dicing' through the field with some nice overtaking moves. I did not hear any complaints about getting in and the place looked crowded. Getting out was simple enough, 25 minutes from Paddock to open road and a clear run home. Keen listeners to BBC Three Counties Radio will now know all about the Olympic Torch Relay and a little about the British Grand Prix.

Press Room exploded into cheers whe Massa passed Schumacher - is it dislike of Michael or a love of Ferrari?

No Morgans finished.

Bob.
Regards
Andy Green
Morgan Class B

Post by Andy Green »

The GP2 race this morning was rather good,but may have clashed with the Ferrari hospitality
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

Being at Le Mans I only got brief updates from Tamsin etc at S stone. They got in before the worst. Luckily had a good tent ! Annoyed that nowhere showing the tennis final and that if they went out to see tennis they could not get back in. As this was the first time they have been to the GP am not sure they will be rushing back.

As for French TV – went into control room at Le Mans on Sunday afternoon to return a transponder and it had monitors of the track, a TV showing the Tour de France, and another showing British F1.

Got back to hotel listening to tennis on crackly Radio 5 in the car and about 15 channels on hotel TV but none seemed to have the tennis
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Leigh Sebba wrote: As for French TV – went into control room at Le Mans on Sunday afternoon to return a transponder and it had monitors of the track, a TV showing the Tour de France, and another showing British F1.

Got back to hotel listening to tennis on crackly Radio 5 in the car and about 15 channels on hotel TV but none seemed to have the tennis
Leigh, I am glad to see that French TV has it's priorities right, why any true Englishman could take any interest in the inevitable defeat of a scowling, bat-and-ball Jock is quite beyond me. Do they not realise that an Englishman is leading the Tour de France, one of the toughest sporting challenges of the year?

Let's celebrate a real sportsman not a petulant foreigner in white shorts. :cry:

Mind you Murrain did finish second, which is more than Hamilton or Button could do. :lol:

Anyway, why did Tamsin go camping at Silverstone to watch a tennis match? :( Maybe she is related to you after all. :|
Regards
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Who said there was a GP2 race on?
Regards
Chris Acklam

Post by Chris Acklam »

So much xenophobia, Bob! So no doubt you are delighted that a local won the GP... :)
Chris
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Chris Acklam wrote:So much xenophobia, Bob! So no doubt you are delighted that a local won the GP... :)

Xenophobe? Me? Certainly not, I just have a healthy dislike of foreigners! Can' stand that Aussie whinger either.
Regards