Brighton Speed Trials

Races, track days, testing ...
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Brighton Speed Trials

Post by Mary Lindsay »

It seems that Brighton and Hove Council wants to discontinue the Brighton Speed Trials which have been going on since 1905.
A decision will be made by the council’s Economic Development and Culture Committee at a meeting on 23 January 2014.
There is a a petition in support of the trials continuing, initiated by Brighton and Hove Motor Club, at
http://present.brighton-hove.gov.uk/mgE ... spx?Id=410
We need to support this historic motoring event.
Andy Garlick

Re: Brighton Speed Trials

Post by Andy Garlick »

Thanks Mary , I have signed the petition.
Andy
Mogman
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

I hope that everyone else has too.
We need to halt the erosion of motor sport in this country!
gregparnell

Post by gregparnell »

Hi Mary,
I competed in the Brighton Speed Trials several times in my Plus 8 and latterly my Aero 8. It is great fun and attracts many spectators who in turn help boost the local economy. The fatal acccident last year was very unfortunate but should not be used by the 'Green' movement to put paid to one of this country's oldest and historically important motorsport events.
I have signed the petition and would urge others to do likewise.
Greg
Alan House
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Alan House »

Mary

I've also signed the petition and urged my family and friends to do likewise!

Alan
Robin Singleton

Post by Robin Singleton »

Hi all

The report to the Borough Council should be made available to the public under Access to Information legislation.

I shall be trying to get a copy . It should then be possible to see the reasoning and the detailed recommendation behind the move to cease the Speed Trials.

It should then be possible to send comments to the Chief Executive for officers to report directly to the Coommittee. May I encourage others to do this, as a direct method hopefully of influencing the decision.

Robin Singleton
Alan House

Post by Alan House »

Hi Robin

Perhaps you could put a copy of the report on the forum if you manage to get a copy so we can send an informed comment to the Brighton Borough Council!

Regards Alan
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

I have been in email contact with the Brighton and Hove Motor Club and although they weren't able to give me a planning application number they gave me a link to the webcast of the planning meeting on 12th December:

http://www.brighton-hove.public-i.tv/co ... ive/122589

I haven't watched it through yet but the relevant part seems to start at 23.08 on the timeline line (16.59 actual time).

They seem very exercised by the fatality the previous year. However, if as a society we are worried so much by fatalities involving motor vehicles, we should close all roads to traffic!
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi Mary,

I understand it was a wacky motorcycle combination that crashed.

Maybe that is what they should be looking at when considering entries - sacrifice the oddball entries to save such a great institution.

Petition duly signed!

Cheers

Mark
Robin Singleton

Mary...I agree..from researching further, I think a lot of emphasis is being put on the fatality, and there will be consideration of the Coroners findings no doubt...I'm not sure if the Coroners Report is out yet. Would there be signifant costs in making the event safe.,especially for the public may well be a consideration.

The other main consideration is loss of parking revenue due to significant road closures....there have been instances elsewhere where this loss has been made up in part or fully by the motor club concerned!

I'm still trying to get the full report...watch this space.

The local council is I understand controlled by the LibDems.

Robin
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

I've added my name.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Kelvin Laidlaw
Morgan Class D

Post by Kelvin Laidlaw »

I have signed too.

Kelvin
Robin Singleton

Update....

The report to Committe will I understand be available to view from 16 Jan onwards....just log on to Brighton and Hove Borough Council site, and find Committee papers to Economic Development meeting for 23 Jan.

Meanwhile almost 11500 havesigned the petition to the Council. Thats a very good response.

Robin
Robin Singleton

Final update...

The Council report to the Economic and Culture sub committee is now out.....google up Brighton and Hove agenda item.

A lot of weight is being placed on the Safety Advisory Groups views.....and I suppose that is right...there is scope for a deferral pending further consideration.. Interesting that the Motor Club has offered £100,000 to cover the costs and landlord fee.

It's 7 pages long but covers the City's legal position quite well I thought.

Any views?

Robin
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

They have won!!!!

This is a real triumph and well done to everyone who supported it.

Here is a copy of their press release:
As a supporter of the Speed Trials thought you would be interested to hear we won the battle last night, here is our press release!

VICTORY FOR THE BRIGHTON SPEED TRIALS

Council unanimously votes to give Brighton Speed Trials the go-ahead

http://www.brightonandhovemotorclub.co.uk

Brighton, 24 January 2014: The Brighton Speed Trials has been saved following a major campaign by event organisers, The Brighton and Hove Motor Club. After the council initially declined an application to run the event in 2014, its Economic Development and Culture Committee voted unanimously last night to allow the event to continue. It will be held this year on 6th September.

The Speed Trials has been running in Brighton since 1905 and the initial council refusal caused outcry among Brighton residents, the motorsport industry and the many fans of the event around the UK and abroad. A Save the Brighton Speed Trials campaign was immediately launched by the motor club to save this historic event.

In just one month the Save the Brighton Speed Trials campaign generated over 12,400 names on a petition, over 7,000 likes on the campaign’s FaceBook page, hundreds of online forum discussions as well as dozens of articles in the local and national press, on TV and radio. Among the supporters were Sir Stirling Moss, local bestselling author Peter James, Tiff Needell of Fifth Gear, Nick Mason of Pink Floyd and Top Gear’s The Stig.

Tony Watts of the Brighton and Hove Motor Club said: “This is a major victory not just for the club but for the heritage of Brighton, its residents and businesses and the history of motorsport. We couldn’t have achieved this without the overwhelming support we have received and want to thank everyone who has helped by signing the petition, spreading the word online and writing letters to the council and the local paper.”

“The council has listened to its constituents and acted in the best democratic interest of the City of Brighton and Hove. We are thrilled to be able to now start the planning of the 2014 Brighton Speed Trial and the subsequent two years events. With the support we have had this year promises to be the best Speed Trials yet. ”

For further information about the Speed Trials visit: http://www.brightonandhovemotorclub.co.uk

- ends –
Notes to editors:

About the Brighton and Hove Motor Club

The Brighton and Hove Motor Club started in 1932 and is the organiser of The Brighton Speed Trials as well as a whole host of events such as The Goodwood Sprint, The Concours and Classic Car Show and The London to Brighton Veteran Car Run.

The club has over 300 members and is one of the largest of its kind in the UK.