Goodwood Members Meeting This Weekend

Races, track days, testing ...
Tim Hill

Goodwood Members Meeting This Weekend

Post by Tim Hill »

Hi all,

Are any of the Brakehorsepower crowd attending the 74MM at Goodwood this weekend?

I see from the entry list that Tony Lees is racing in the Viper and James (Billy) Bellinger is in Keith's T61.

Hope to see some of you there !

Tim
TonyLees
Morgan Class B

Re: Goodwood Members Meeting This Weekend

Post by TonyLees »

I'm hoping to be there!
Will be good to see you again.
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

I’ll be there too – hope to arrive mid afternoon Saturday and then all day Sunday

If allowed perhaps be on pit roof for the famous Mr Lees race

Hope to see you Tim – are you marshalling or just drinking ?
Tim Hill

Post by Tim Hill »

Hi Leigh,

I'll be there with Mr Baines and Chris as a spectator. Might be handing out a few business cards too :wink:

Looking forward to catching up with all the news

Cheers
Tim
Paul Andrew
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Paul Andrew »

Hi Tim,

Tom and I will be there representing Andrew Racing along with Team members Jan and Leigh.

Tom will be driving our Alfa Romeo 155 in the Super Tourers ......along with everybody's favourite ...... Our 1964 Alfa Guilia, competing in the Whitmore Cup.
Looking forward to getting back on track and hope to meet you all there.

Best Wishes,
Paul
Tim Hill

Post by Tim Hill »

Hi Paul

The Alfa in the Whitmore cup sounds interesting. Here in NZ we had our own historic festival last weekend. I was in the ex Andy Garlick Morgan in the pre 60s sportscar race and Jane was in her Standard 10 in the saloon race.

http://www.steveritchiephotography.co.n ... ophy-2016/

Cheers and see you at the weekend. Hopefully the weather will be as good

Tim
SimonScott

Post by SimonScott »

I will be there. Like Leigh, planning to arrive Saturday afternoon for the GT40s and then all day Sunday... :)
Formerly #64 - Class E 4/4 Sport Comp and Class R Lwt Roadster...
Michele Bailey

Post by Michele Bailey »

Tim

Chris is already at Goodwood - allegedly working! If you see him watching any of the the racing please let me know [-X :lol:

I think the Parkes Dept will be there.

If you or anyone else wants to visit the Bonhams event and have a browse please give Chris a call - that's where he should be!

Michele
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

There is local interest (for me) in the auction with a load of cars from a Suffolk collection

Seems like there will be a lot of Morgan folk there – and a few Mog folk racing – Tony, Billy, Andrews, Bryants – but not in Morgans

As I said – if we are allowed (we were last year) perhaps meet up on pits roof for the Tony race Sunday 10.20 am
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Have a great time one and all.

Wrap up warm!

Cheers

Mark
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Tony brought the Viper home seventh in a very competitive race, starting 17th I think.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

That race was amazing - Viper looked relatively 'normal' compared to the other bizarre cars in it. And one of the few races not to have accidents, safety car, delays.
Saturday - Olly Bryant and even hotter (?) hotshot Keen leading spectacular GT40 race towards the end but then car expired.
Sunday - first race first lap I see a Lotus do 3 forward somersaults and land in access road close to crowds opposite pits. Apparently not too badly injured but long delay.
Bryant's father and son won 45 mins saloon race in Camaro, Olly reeling in the JD Classics Rover with 5 mins to go. Said it was the first ever Bryant win at Goodwood.
Olly then in 3 rd place at start of next race in Lola and Billy Bellinger running 9th in Keith's Cooper Monaco when race stopped after a couple of laps as a Lola crashed and long delay awaiting medics, barrier repairs. I suspect driver may be in a bad way (Smits I think). Race then abandoned so billy had spent three days getting two laps racing.
Then after long delay saw Tom Andrew 'parade' cut to two laps in his 1994 super tourer Alfa
Last three races cut to 10 mins each. Ex Mog racer Chris Phillips was 6th in a 1953 cooper Bristol.
By then I was frozen so sorry team Andrew I started to drift away and missed Tom in the 1965 Alfa but radio commentary on car radio said he finished ok
Lots of Mog folk spotted around including Tim Hill from NZ and Chris Bailey working hard in the auction hall
Yes it was chilly but dry !
SimonScott

Post by SimonScott »

Watching from Madgwick we were able to fully appreciate Tony's driving technique of leaning right by putting his left foot on the paseenger seat! :lol: The best race of the day. Such a shame about the delays and accidents. Just hope the CanAm driver is not badly hurt or worse... [-o<
Formerly #64 - Class E 4/4 Sport Comp and Class R Lwt Roadster...
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Watching the Live Stream was warmer, but still the long delays following even some relatively minor offs, were irritating, but I felt sorry for the spectators having to endure lap after lap of the safety car while standing in the chilly wind.

While one would hesitate to criticise, the recovery of the damaged cars seemed to take an inordinate length of time, and it all appeared somewhat lackadaisical. No doubt the 'historic' nature of the circuit does not lend itself to the ease of access that Silverstone and other tracks enjoy, but even so the current arrangements give poor value for the (highly) paying public. Generally speaking it appeared that the older the cars the less problems occurred.

All-in-all, I was glad I stayed at home.

Armchair enthusiast.

Bob.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

Saw on ten tenths a link to you tube of the 09.00 am crash taken from next to where I was standing and also another longer clip if you google it. I think a Lotus Climax 18 and I understand only a broken collar bone

Marshals running as car somersaults through the air towards them. And a wheel flying into spectator area. And a popular area as right near main entrance

I will be surprised if that doesn’t initiate much more safety fencing and Goodwood will lose some of its charm.

I was some way from the Lola accident which didn’t look as dramatic but car was quite bad

Didn’t see you Simon but you were no doubt studying the 1980s F1 cars and preparing for your next discussion with Bob :)

Bob - there were lots of other diversions including (at the very far end) ferret racing and a sheepdog herding geese (yes - a dog in the race circuit) :!: