Goodwood Members Meeting This Weekend

Races, track days, testing ...
TonyLees
Morgan Class B

Re: Goodwood Members Meeting This Weekend

Post by TonyLees »

my first goodwood race event (have sprinted in the AC/GN Cognac and Vauxhall Viper before - and had FTD and "small off" respectively).
bloody freezin'
far, far too many "incidents".
crazy drivers trying way too hard on mainly cold tyres.
we "crazies" in the edwardians were one of only two or three races to finish without a safety car!
The Viper was on four cylinders in practice and only completed 2 laps, hence 17th grid.
Race on all eight firing well - had a fab time overtaking lots of cars :)
The three guys at the sharp end were amazing - best race by far if you ask me...
Really good to see so many famous Morgan drivers - much more friendly than Mika Hakkinen.
keith morris

Post by keith morris »

It WAS freezing - but Morgan drivers know how to dress appropriately - so no problem spectating for the best part of 9 hours.
Was only there on Sat - which was incident free!! - except we got stuck on the way home as someone managed to put their car in the trees on Kennel Hill on the way up to Goodwood Racecourse only about a mile from the circuit!!

The GT40 race was fabulous - not just the cars, but the racing was excellent and noise in the stands as they roared off the grid something else.

The Edwardians were amazing and i take my hat off to anyone who "hustles" one of the them around Goodwood

Tony - send me a PM and i'll e-mail a couple of pics i took whilst you were carrying out adjustments in the paddock after practice.
(of course if you don't PM I'll make sure they get a wider audience!!!)
Keith
SimonScott
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by SimonScott »

Another brain teaser for Bob? :?:
Having seen the scary footage of Stephen Bond's Lotus disappearing into the spectator tunnel at Goodwood, can you name another occasion when a Grand Prix car (or at least the driver and his survival cell) ended up in a pedestrian tunnel? I can think of one memorable incident... also involving a Lotus! There may be more. Any thoughts Sir Bob? :)
Formerly #64 - Class E 4/4 Sport Comp and Class R Lwt Roadster...
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

The car spun, then lifted and plunged into the wall and debris fencing on the left. Much of the wreckage was strewn across the track but the survival cell, with Lamy strapped inside, was tossed along a walkway and into a pedestrian tunnel.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
SimonScott

Post by SimonScott »

I am obviously making these too easy for you Bob... =D>
Maybe I should stick to answering rather than trying to ask questions! :lol:
Formerly #64 - Class E 4/4 Sport Comp and Class R Lwt Roadster...
Paul Andrew

Post by Paul Andrew »

Hi Leigh,
Can't blame you for taking an early bath before our race..... Yes it was freezing unless you happened to be a driver in the Whitmore Cup.
Post Whitmore Cup, in the holding area, Tom's interview " it was bloody frantic out there and we only raced for 10 minutes" He Loved it ! Although shortened to only 10 mins, Tom made up 5 places, all under cornering ..... Our little Alfa being no match for the twin sparks, and had a great 2 lap tussle with the " works " car of Henry Mann recording his best time of the day on his last lap, obviously a marker for our next visit!

Not bad considering he only drove the circuit for the first time on Saturday in our Alfa 155 Super Tourer.
What a laugh that was. 'No overtaking Boys' were the last words uttered in the Drivers Briefing..... Messrs Cleland, Watts,Pirro, Soper, Andrew and Rob Huff had other ideas..... It was full on, race pace .... anything goes!! The crowd loved it, so did all the drivers and sensibly no one ended up on the naughty boy step ! True Pros always out to entertain !

Sorry I didn't get to meet any fellow Morganeers, especially as I knew you were there .... Apart from Jack B, who I think in future will do a Supermarket double take ... Head down and scoot down another aisle!
Sorry to bend your ear Jack, just so bitterly, bitterly disappointed you won't allow our Aero out to challenge the big boy in Class A this year, probably more galling though.... Not defending our Title!

Glad the other Goodwood Morgan attendees all returned safe and sound, Sunday had a very strange 'racing' feel to it, especially when I saw the Air Ambulance Helicopter needing to refuel on circuit, pre flight to the hospital, as we were all assembled in the holding area for over an hour pre Super Tourers.
I for one was pleased to end the day after our six hour journey ...... Safely at home.