Snetterton Relay race

Races, track days, testing ...
peter rafter

Snetterton Relay race

Post by peter rafter »

Big Applause to all Drivers, Managers, Pit Crew and Supporters in the Relay race on Sunday. Six Morgan teams, all without exception overcoming Car and/or mechanical issues with fortitude and good bonhomie. Great results and congratulations to all concerned. Some 16 Teams braved the Wet qualifying and a slippery surface ensured careful and controlled driving until a dryring track in the race let all entrants show their paces. Thanks also to MG and Clerk/Stewards, I even recognised one as I had to visit them re a team infringement, (Mr Andy "Verdi" no doubt imparting his knowledge and wisdom albeit impartially) Overall driving standard were good and a welcome model for a much diminished Birkett.
regards to all
peter
Bob Bull

Re: Snetterton Relay race

Post by Bob Bull »

Note to John Bevan,

Why don't I do the Aero and you do the Relay, this will save me a lot of trouble making up a report on the affair?

happy either way, I will post pictures of your splendid drive in LWT, as a reward.

BB
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
john bevan

Post by john bevan »

Good plan Bob
Morgan Club Sport. The only way to drive to and from races!
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

john bevan wrote:Good plan Bob
I've submitted my report :)
Regards
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

In my brief valedictory on the Snetterton Relay I had inadvertently omitted to mention a momentous contiguous celebration taking place. Namely the celebration of the purchase of the Leigh Sebba Morgan Plus 8 ( is it orange or red?) some 40 earlier years to the day. The ever sentimental Owner had especially commissioned a cake to mark this auspicious occasion which he endeavoured to share with a few of us mere mortals. As many of you might otherwise have been engaged on that afternoon, some even driving, you may have missed this landmark. Fear not. It goes without saying that if you contact Leigh perhaps he will immediately dispatch a portion too your preferred location so that you can share in his delight and pride.
ps
just dont mention that I told you

regards
peter
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

If Leigh's Morgan is forty years old as witnessed here by Peter, and Keith advising me that he has had his Plus 8 for thirty years, it does raise the question of how on earth does the Morgan Motor Co continue to flourish if their cars last so long?

I would have thought that by now they had a built in obsolescence program to encourage sales of newer models.

A registration number of WAR 123 suggests that the car bearing the plate is hardly a recent purchase, yet is still being driven around, admittedly by some on even older than the car, but even so .......!

Just a thought.
Regards
Phill Thomas
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Phill Thomas »

Bob, the fact that old and no longer available models have been winning races has been a marketing quandary for the factory over the recent past.

However, the tide may have turned. The winner of the Challenge was driving and ARV6. The wining team in the Four Hour British Motor Heritage Relay (on scratch) consisted of three ARV6s and the team that was second (on handicap) had one ARV6 and two Baby Dolls.
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

Aside from the cake, Leigh also had a copy of the original invoice, purchase price and list of extras. Now I am acutely aware of the apparent North /South divide , but Leigh could have purchased a whole street of Houses (albeit terraced with outside lavatories) In Sheffield for the price of his esteemed Morgan,
ps
and yes the modern machinery is currently dominating the series. There are probably too many old crocs (both cars and owners) vainly struggling, but we are maintaining the heritage.
ppa
Note to self, must speak with my Class Rep re reverse grids...
peter
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

Thank you Peter for those kind words and I have been chomping through the cake all week. And congratulations on your immaculate turn out in the paddock.

As for ‘old cars’ having bought it new I still see it as relatively young and modern (much as I see myself) but as you noted I do drive quite slowly to give these ARV6 type things a chance to win

I did actually start my racing in a 1969 4/4 bought new (I was going to buy the whole of Sheffield but decided on the car instead) and although now in ‘road trim’ I look forward to more cake in Feb 2019

As for ‘reverse grids’ I recall we did that once ‘overseas’ (well – in Scotland) a few years back.