Classs Winner

Races, track days, testing ...
Bob Bull

Classs Winner

Post by Bob Bull »

Now you will all recognise that I am merely an observer of the Aero Challenge, and not a participant in any manner, however, I do take a keen interest in it's happening, and would like to make a small suggestion.
The idea came to me while writing a review of the season, naturally one starts with the Champion extoling the virtues of the winner who would have also taken whatever Class he was competing in. Having commented on the Champion one then turns to the individual Class victors.

Class 'A' , Class 'B' Class 'C' etc, however, this time we have already done 'B' because our Champion had clinched that on his way to overall victory, so we turn to the runner-up for interest, which seems slightly demeaning.

My suggestion would be that no matter from which class the overall Champion the comes from the Class should be awarded to the second placed driver, after all being Champion over rides a mere Class win. This spreads the silverware a little further, and recognises the person who the Champ had to beat to score the points.

I understand that the Challenge is a friendly series noted for it's camaraderie, so surely the Champion would not begrudge the Class win going to a rival?

Of course I could just go back to minding my own business. :?:
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Simon Baines

Re: Classs Winner

Post by Simon Baines »

Makes perfect sense to me. It's what we do in the Speed Championship. Why win 2 awards when the main award is the Overall Champion?
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

That sounds like a matter for Katy Thompson. I will draw her attention to your suggestion.
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

Sounds a bit odd to me – either the person won the class or they didn’t and seems a bit unfair on the other ‘seconds in class’ just because they didn’t have the champion in their class. It could even be in one’s interest to let someone else in your class beat you in a race so they win the championship and then you will win the class !

Also I can see that it looks a good idea in Class B where lots of regular entries. But if you do the same for the AR Trophy which is won by Philip T from Class C then the next in class is Steve Mc D and he got less than half of Philip’s points so it is a bit odd to call Steve a ‘Class winner’ ?

But certainly food for thought Bob – glad you are keeping your brain busy :!:
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Some good points there Leigh, however, I remember at the Drivers Dinner last year Elliott being awarded the Peter Collins Tray as Champion, and later having to accept the lesser prize of Class 'B' winner. It seemed rather incongruous at the time.
Certainly it is not a perfect solution, but just in my ('umble) opinion, I would think the merits outweigh the demerits. Still it is obviously for the organisers/drivers to decide, not some ill informed member of the Hoi Polloi.

Maybe the regulations might be worded "Class 'B' was awarded to" .......... rather than "Won by ....."
Regards
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Sounds a bit odd to me – either the person won the class or they didn’t and seems a bit unfair on the other ‘seconds in class’ just because they didn’t have the champion in their class. It could even be in one’s interest to let someone else in your class beat you in a race so they win the championship and then you will win the class !
Really Mr Sebba, we are talking about the Morgan Challenge not some Formula 1 Championship. I am horrified that anyone would think that Morgan drivers would stoop so low, like the man who picked a dwarfs pocket. Shame on you. [-X
Regards
TonyLees
Morgan Class B

Post by TonyLees »

I think the championship should be awarded to a driver with a yellow car. end of.
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

That still leaves a wide choice, Tony. Peter Cole, Tim Parsons, James Sumner, and I believe Peter Rafter has been down to Homebase looking at paint.
Regards
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Perhaps those people who would have been most affected if the rule had been in place might have thoughts on the idea? Andrew this year for example.
Regards
JERRY KNIGHT

Post by JERRY KNIGHT »

Bob Bull wrote:Of course I could just go back to minding my own business. :?:
Marvellous .
See you do have good ideas sometimes Bob !!
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

JERRY KNIGHT wrote:
Bob Bull wrote:Of course I could just go back to minding my own business. :?:
Marvellous .
See you do have good ideas sometimes Bob !!
And I thought we were friends, it just goes to show................................... =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Regards