Phillip island historic festival

Races, track days, testing ...
John Clarke
Anti spam question: MSA

Phillip island historic festival

Post by John Clarke »

After 3,500 km (about 2,200 miles) driving across Australia, Sarah and I arrived at Phillip Island to attend the historic festival. En route we drove across the Nullabor dessert with it's 90 mile straight so not much chance for arm flailing here! We consumed nil oil, nil water but countless gallons of 98 octane and 8 muesli bars. The journey took 6 days running 7 or 8 hours a day.

The festival is very much like Silverstone classic except that the main straight ends up in Southern ocean and the penguin colony. The setting and views are stunning as I'm sure the Moto GP fans recognise.

As for the racing....very eclectic....a lot of American muscle, Aussie muscle and British and German sports cars. My personal favourites were the GSM Delta, and the Formula 5000s......but no Morgan's!

Against everyone's advice, we undertook our latest epic adventure in a 10 year old Alfa! Mad I know but then again why not and no way in a Morgan?

Next stop, Albert Park for hammer time.....but he will have to beat the Alfa/Ferrari/ Sauber....will the Alfa's make it??

Cheers
John
8-)
SimonScott

Re: Phillip island historic festival

Post by SimonScott »

Have fun in Melbourne. We travelled over from the UK for the GP last year and then drove round the coast to Sydney, stopping at Philip Island on the way. So we missed the historic festival sadly. Another time maybe. No long straight roads on our road-trip...although we did have to get pulled out of a deep muddy hole in the road... long story! But keep your eyes skinned for the illustrious Mr Keith Ahlers in Melbourne. Stretching our legs before the GP start last year, watching the aircraft displays, I spotted Keith behind the first corner grandstands and chatted away for a few minutes. Apparently he is a regular...
Formerly #64 - Class E 4/4 Sport Comp and Class R Lwt Roadster...
John Clarke

Re: Phillip island historic festival

Post by John Clarke »

Phew, made it.....I month, 5000km (about 3,000 miles) and now 18 muesli bars later.

The cross Australian Alfa 3.2

We watched Lewis being robbed of victory by that German fellow from the Waites Stand at Albert Park. But that qualifying lap..... outrageous.

BTW, Arthur Waite was the first winner of the Australian Grand Prix in 1928 held on the dirt track of Phillip Island.....in an Austin Seven! He was married to Herbert Austin's daughter, Irene and established the Australian distributors. He beat entrants competing in a Riley Nine, Senechal and Bugatti type 37A and 40 amongst others.....his Austin was pretty standard save for the supersharger.

Leaving Phillip Island we took the Great Ocean Road to Adelaide where management cried enough. So the Alfa was put on a train and we flew home..

Charles Leclerk on his way to 13th

So despite the naysayers both Alfas went the distance and both without mishap.

cheers

john (Le Clarke)

8-)