2020 'Holly' Birkett 6-Hour Relay

Races, track days, testing ...
Andy Downes
Anti spam question: MSA

2020 'Holly' Birkett 6-Hour Relay

Post by Andy Downes »

Well, it's that time of year again...

Team Morgans For Fun are once again preparing for the end-of-season bash that is the Holland 'Holly' Birkett 6-Hour Relay at Silverstone on the 24th of October 2020.

I am once again involved but the main protagonist this time is Barry Sumner, I'll do whatever I'm asked.

This time Morgans For Fun are to be :-

James & Ian Sumner sharing Barry's yellow 4/4 4-seater VMO
Jack & Billy Bellinger sharing Jack's blue 4/4
Brett Syndercombe driving his 4/4
Simon Orebi Gann driving his AVR6

There will be a Livestream from 11:30 on Saturday here:- 'Holly' Birkett

I don't believe we have spectators this year but in the meantime to whet your appetite - a picture of me in action in 1982 :-)

Have (endurance) Fun.

Andy 8-) 8-) 8-)
'Skipper'
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Re: 2020 'Holly' Birkett 6-Hour Relay

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Lovely photo and great sash action Andy!

That's Richard ("Carousel") Casswell's quick 4/4 you're sending off into the fray I believe.

Have a great day everyone.
Andy Downes

Post by Andy Downes »

Thanks Mary,

Yes that's the late Richard Casswell in UBY 4 his very quick 4/4. He's actually just finishing his stint and I'm ripping off the velcro sash (which represents the relay baton) as he returns to the paddock.

I'm not generally comfortable with self promotion but I wanted a picture to liven up the topic - I had hair in those days and I think that's the last time I wore a pair of jeans ! The bright red 'Rally' jacket was my homage to James Hunt whose exploits with Hesketh first got me interested in motor racing, hence I was ripe for the picking when you asked "what are you doing a week on Saturday..." in 1976 and got me involved with the Birkett.

Andy

PS - I think the picture is one of yours ? if so - 'Image courtesy of Mary Lindsay'
'Skipper'
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

Bonne chance to all.
Just avoid those pesky cater hams and westfields and cheap bangers,
peter
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

There is also a 3 hour race at S’stone on the Sunday which is sort of a replacement for the Spa 6 hours. Various Cobras, E Types, Elans etc and a solitary Morgan (Wenham family +4)
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

Hope the Morgans Had Fun

68 cars on S’stone GP track must be ‘fun’ and a finish half way up the grid

Hope you did avoid the Caterhams, Radicals (and Ferraris) and I see there were some big name drivers – Shaun Lynn, Martin Short, Scott Mansell, Jack Bellinger….
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

weather not helpful
overall driving standards seemed to have improved
handicaps inexplicable
I stayed glued to the live stream
Well done Morgans for Fun
peter
Andy Downes

Post by Andy Downes »

A big "Thank You" to all for your interest and messages of support.

I've now had time to look at the results (Available: Here) and digest exactly what happened to us on Saturday during a very windy and wet Birkett 6-Hour !

On the road (Scratch) we finished 34th out of 69 starters and covered 126 laps - winners 152 laps.

On Handicap we finished 50th having covered 152 'Gross' laps - winners 159 'Gross' laps.

For once all did not go according to plan...

Normally we run 6 drivers each for an hour with 5 changeovers - This time although we had the 6 drivers, we had to run 10 stints and 9 changeovers #-o

What happened ? you may well ask - we had car problems, driver hiccups, and the Team Manager (me) dropped the ball a couple of times.

We were very well supported by our happy band of pit crew ably organised by James & Becky Downes and Kate Orebi Gann, but it was a bit 'Keystone Cops' at times :lol:

My special thanks go to Barry Sumner for taking the initiative and putting the Team (and some of the cars) together.

Not our best run in the Birkett but we were once again first (only) Morgan Team home :P and we did have FUN.

As well as the Birkett, the 750 Motor Club run a bewildering number of Championships and there is now an improving 6-Hour Archive on their website (take a look: Here) I think they're rediscovering their heritage and I was surprised just how often Morgan Teams had featured in the results.

Andy
'Skipper'
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

Yes interesting to look at the Roll of Honour showing that Morgans have won many times on handicap including 1959 featuring Peter Morgan and Chris Lawrence.

Morgan +8 team won on scratch in 1987

And some exotic machinery in the past – 1963 scratch winners were a team of Jaguar D types with the odd Aston DB3S, 1970 h’cap winners were Aston DB4GT Zagatos. And I remember those Porsche 934 teams in the late 70s