Track Day Tips

Races, track days, testing ...
Philip Cowpland
Anti spam question: MSA

Track Day Tips

Post by Philip Cowpland »

Hi, I'm enjoying following the challenge series as it picks up, hoping to compete in the future; but as a complete beginner to track days, and only having my 03 plus8 for 18months so far, I was hoping for some general advise on brake discs/pads/shoes/fluid, having boiled the DOT4 and likely glazed the factory oem pads and shoes at my first try- what do people recommend for road and trackday use. I drive the +8 most everyday, upto 300 mile roundtrip commutes, so a combination that can stay in use for both ideally.
TIA Phil Cowpland
Philip Tisdall

Re: Track Day Tips

Post by Philip Tisdall »

Hi Philip,
I might be able to offer a bit of advice. With my 96 +8 which I race, I use Motul RBF 700 brake fluid. I found that with the lower fluids I would get brake fade near the end of the race. The brake disks have to be standard to race in the challenge.
Brake pads is open to a lot of discussion but fir the front disks I use mintex F4R racing brake pads. The rear shoes are also a racing compound which you can get from any of the race prepares.
You would (in my opinion) need a set of race pads for race and track days and a set of road pads for normal driving.
Do come along to one of our races and come and have a chat to the racers.They will be only too happy to help.
You ave see the list of where we race and dates on the challenge web page
Philip
Jim Mountain

Post by Jim Mountain »

Hi Philip,

This may be worth a read if you've not already seen it :- https://driver61.com/resources/track-day-guide/

As for brakes this is a massive subject, as there are so many variables, with many differing opinions, if you are new to Morgan's, I would call/drop in to for a chat, to one of the Morgan dealers that do race prep. There are plenty around, there is a list here.

https://www.morganchallenge.co.uk/Pages/links.html

I drive a 4/4, so possibly a bit lighter than your +8, my brake set up is as follows.
Motul RBF 600 brake fluid, not had a problem with it as yet.
Mintex M1144 pads up front.
HiSpec alloy 4 pot calipers and standard solid discs.
Twin master cylinders with a balance bar.
A competition compound on the rear shoes.
Standard rear drums.
Standard wheel cylinders.
Brake bias valve to rear brakes.
Braided stainless hoses.

Hope this helps, also be aware you can't mix some brake fluids, and racing brake fluid is more hydroscopic than "road" brake fluid, so will need bleeding/changing more often to maintain the performance.

Good luck

Jim
Philip Cowpland
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Philip Cowpland »

Thanks for the replies and advice both, much appreciated. I have some high temperature brake fluid on order, and will uprate the pads as they need it. Still running the original Austin Princess/Ambassador 4 pot callipers, with some replacements on the shelf for when they go off for refurb. I'm looking into alternative upgrades.
From the calendar, the Donnington weekend looks my most likely opportunity to attend- what is the current protocol likely to be vis Covid and spectators/visitors?
Philip Tisdall

Post by Philip Tisdall »

Philip
Changes every day !! best bet is to look at the Donington web site. most tracks have spectator info which is updated regularly.
Philip