One to One Driver Coaching

Races, track days, testing ...
Phil Egginton
Anti spam question: MSA

One to One Driver Coaching

Post by Phil Egginton »

Anyone recommend by experience or word of mouth a good one to one driving coach. I am thinking of something like :

http://www.benelliottracing.com/
http://www.donpalmer.co.uk/
http://www.eugeneobrien.co.uk/

All thoughts welcome!!
Phil Egginton
"Think very carefully… because if you ever start, you will never be able to leave it alone" — Donald Campbell CBE
Chris Acklam

Post by Chris Acklam »

What's the objective?
Phil Egginton

Post by Phil Egginton »

Chris Acklam wrote:What's the objective?
More confidence behind the wheel = quicker times
Phil Egginton
"Think very carefully… because if you ever start, you will never be able to leave it alone" — Donald Campbell CBE
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

For circuit racing there seems to be two different types of coach

a) Coach walks the course with you and then watches you at each corner while instructing you through radio link. Cost can be spread among several drivers at same time. Coach may not wish to instruct more than one entrant in same Class. Not sure if this is permitted at a Track Day – maybe only Test Day (where need race license)

b) At trackday an instructor will sit next to you (for a fee). Goldtrack have Calum Lockie (who charges double what a non celebrity will charge)

The magazine articles always say that money on coaching is better spent than on car mods – unfortunately some of us (well me) have many years of ingrained bad driving techniques.
Paul Burry

Post by Paul Burry »

Leigh,

Can you show me your bad driving techniques at Zandvoort please - Class lap record if I remember correctly !

Paul
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

….and then I blew the engine up. I think the boost pressure was turned up too high !
Actually my secret (and Andy’s) was to arrive the day before for some extra track time.

Paul – as you are a retired Championship winner (and a good bit faster in my car than me at Spa) perhaps you should undertake a bit of race coaching.

You may need to go to teacher training college first though, and then have an ofsted (?) inspection
Paul Burry

Post by Paul Burry »

I've never had my ofsted inspected and at my age I'm not about to start now ! Who said I was retired - maybe just resting ?

Paul
Chris Acklam

Post by Chris Acklam »

Paul Burry wrote:Who said I was retired - maybe just resting ?
Hopefully not like the Norwegian Blue?
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Hopefully not like the Norwegian Blue?
Maybe he is just pining for the fiords?
Chris Acklam

Post by Chris Acklam »

Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Not sure wehat you are saying here Chris - don't understand the banter old boy..........
Phil Egginton

Post by Phil Egginton »

Oh no we'll be having the full half hour arguments soon......

P.S Can we get back to the question??
Phil Egginton
Chris Acklam

Post by Chris Acklam »

Sorry Phil. I would think that there is something to be gained from tuition from any professional.

As Leigh mentioned, Calum Lockie at http://www.goldtrack.co.uk comes well recommended, has driven Morgans and you have the advantage of being able to use your own car at one of their track days at the same time.
Phil Egginton

Post by Phil Egginton »

Chris Acklam wrote:Sorry Phil. I would think that there is something to be gained from tuition from any professional.

As Leigh mentioned, Calum Lockie at http://www.goldtrack.co.uk comes well recommended, has driven Morgans and you have the advantage of being able to use your own car at one of their track days at the same time.
Cheers for that. Looked at the website and it might just be what I want. Using my own car is exactly what I want to do.
Phil Egginton
Chris Acklam

Post by Chris Acklam »

Give them a call, and tell Melindi you are a Morgan driver (it won't count against you - promise...)