Willhire 24 hour race : Silverstone 10/11th September

Races, track days, testing ...
keith.ahlers
Tech Comm

Willhire 24 hour race : Silverstone 10/11th September

Post by keith.ahlers »

The entry of my Class A Plus8 has been accepted for the forthcoming 24 hour race at Silverstone GP circuit in September.

The entry of the Plus8 is made with fond memories of the sucess the Morgan racers enjoyed in the original Willhire 24 hour events at Snetterton in the early eighties.

Drivers will be Keith Ahlers, Christian Bock, Peter Garland and Matthew Wurr.

Head honchos will be Rick Bourne and Andy Downes. On the spanners will be Billy Bellinger, Jack Bellinger (hopefully), Ian Grimes and Brett Syndercombe.
Chris Acklam
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Chris Acklam »

Great news Keith, and a great team. Glad to hear you'll be taking a weekend off at last ... ;-)

Is there a website showing entries and details?
Andy Downes

Re: Willhire 24 hour race : Silverstone 10/11th September

Post by Andy Downes »

keith.ahlers wrote:The entry of the Plus8 is made with fond memories of the sucess the Morgan racers enjoyed in the original Willhire 24 hour events at Snetterton in the early eighties.
Rock & Roll...

Have (24-hour) Fun
8) 8) 8)
'Skipper'
Kate Orebi Gann
Series Co-ordinator

Willhire

Post by Kate Orebi Gann »

Great news Keith - what fun :D . I hope that we will still have some of the other enthusiasts at the last race of the Challenge Series season at Brands Hatch on 10th as well. I'm not sure that you can do both can you? Sorry that we will not be with you - prior engagement!

Kate
John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

I will be driving the lill' old car in a support race - so if you need an extra pair of hands to make the tea I'll be on (I can always keep you all awake with my mindless drivel about pre war racing Morgans!!).

best wishes

john
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Yesterday, after Brands Hatch, John and I made our way to Silverstone see how the intrepid endurance racers were faring.
When we arrived, around 7.30pm, the Morgan was in the pit having a new half shaft fitted following damage during an incident with another car.
It was a lengthy stop and cost the team a lot of places. When they rejoined the race they were in 50th place.
This morning the car is still going strong and is currently in 23rd place. Driver stints are around 2.5 hours.
The driver line up now includes Oliver Bryant who took the place of Matthew Wurr.
The pit crew includes stalwarts: Andy Downes, Rick Bourne, Jack Bellinger, Billy Bellinger, Sally Bellinger, Nicola Downes, James Downes, Brett Syndercombe, Melvyn Rutter, Charles Neal, Dave Saunter, Ronnie Bourne and of course Sue Ahlers. My apologies to anyone I have not mentioned, these are the faces I saw during our visit last night.
I will try to update during the day as and when news is available.
The race ends at 5pm.
Live updates can be found at http://www.eerc.co.uk/24hrsite/componen ... /Itemid,8/
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

1.30pm and Morgan Challenge team now 22nd. Keith out at present. Peter Garland due to take over for last stint. Conditions: light rain.
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Garland now on slicks and going like a train. Just one hour to go!
We're all with you in spirit, just keep it on the island until 5pm.
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Champagne now being uncorked and if I know anything about the Morgan crowd they won't be wasting it by spraying it around!

What a terrific result, 22nd overall, 511 laps at 3.194 miles per lap = 1632 miles. That just goes to show that Keith's Class A car isn't just a sprint car, it has true Morgan grit and made it to the end of a gruelling race. Well done to the drivers, Keith, Peter, Oliver and Christian and of course to the whole support team without whom none of these things would be possible.
Frank Grimley
Morgan Class B

Post by Frank Grimley »

Thanks to Keith and all the team I had a brillaint week-end watching the Morgan compete against far more expensive and modern machinery and beat them. At one time getting up to 12th overall then falling to 50th after a shunt. What a come back to 22nd. It was amazing watching this little car pound around the track lap after lap and not miss a beat. I am inspired.
Frank Grimley
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

John Clarke and I were there for the pre war race and much enjoyed the hospitality of the Ahlers team – thank you very much. If only……. Without the lengthy early stop – a top ten finish ?
Congratulations. But I must say, having walked up the pit lane, you were one of the most organised and well equipped teams there.
BTW Mary – also Adam Rutter and the excellent chef.
Second most amazing sight – Friday night - Keith paddling around a waterlogged pit garage in his Wellington boots
Most amazing sight – Melvyn Rutter in overalls getting his hands dirty !!
Chris Acklam

Post by Chris Acklam »

Great result. It's an amazing effort to keep a car racing for 24hrs, particularly under those conditions - everyone's under a strain and it seems never ending.
A brilliant team result, particularly after such a setback in the race. (And good to see Garland's name featured again...)
Last edited by Chris Acklam on Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

...and the infamous 'Garland' shoes were still in evidence dancing over the pedals......fantastic effort........car looked and sounded glorious.....all drivers were faultless and the pit crew were mega

Congratulations - stirring stuff!!

john
Andy Green
Morgan Class B

Post by Andy Green »

Many congradulations

If the car was stopped for 2 hours for a half shaft etc,then the potential laps could have been 558 (actual 511) and a top 10 finish!

Better luck next year and hopefully not the same weekend as a Challenge race
keith.ahlers
Tech Comm

Post by keith.ahlers »

The Willhire 24 hours was awesome.

We finished with only one hickup in the race, a broken driveshaft caused by contact with another car. The Plus8 ran like a train.

I should like to thank Rick Bourne, Andy Downes, Billy Bellinger, Jack Bellinger, Brett Syndercombe, "Rocket" Bourne, Dave Saunter, James Downes, Melvyn Rutter, Adam Rutter, Sue Ahlers, Sally Bellinger, Nicola Downes, Chas Neale, Ian the Chef, Christian Bock, Oliver Bryant and Peter Garland for making it all happen and being such fun to go racing with.

John Eales deserves a mention too. The engine did 1,950 miles over the weekend and was as strong at the end as it was at the begining. Indeed I will be running it in the Birkett as it finished the 24 hours.

It was also nice to see so many friendly faces turning up in the garage to support but especially good to see John and Mary Lindsay, 1980s Willhire stalwarts, who drove home from Brands Hatch to Colchester via Silverstone to join us in the garage on Saturday evening.

And the crew want to do it all again next year............................

Best wishes, Keith.