Donington to become another concrete jungle?

Races, track days, testing ...
TonyLees
Morgan Class B

Donington to become another concrete jungle?

Post by TonyLees »

Bob Bull

Re: Donington to become another concrete jungle?

Post by Bob Bull »

Tony,
At Silverstone on Friday and Saturday I offered to bet quite a few luminaries of the Motorsport world £10.00 that there would not be a Grand Prix at Donington in 2010. No one would take the bet.
Can you really see Donington being brought up to GP standards in less than 2 years time? There is not aspect of the circuit that is anywhere near the required level. You would need to raze the entire site and start from scratch, and even if you did that how would you get the Government to agree to dual the road from the M1 to the circuit? Imagine the planning procedures, the opposition groups etc., there are two theories, the first quite common that it is an attempt to persuade the Government to cough up money to upgrade Silverstone (a cheaper option) or my Wife's take on it!!
Come 2010 and the circuit nowhere near ready. Oh! Dear, no circuit, what a shame, scrap the British round and give it to Zimbabwe.

By the way the BRDC did not back Max M's continuing role in the FIA, and Bernie hates them all!

Insider.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Jim Mountain

Post by Jim Mountain »

I was under the impression that a contract had been signed.
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Contract signed?
JIm, you dear old fashioned thing - you!

Remember Brands Hatch had a contract once, but could not get planning permission and it all went TU.

Amongst those not accepting my bet were, Murray Walker, Tony Jardine, Damon Hill and the National Press Officer for the GP. Absolutely no one believes it is going to happen and that includes a number of the general public we questioned.

I would hate to try and second guess BE, but I have grave doubts about the future of the race.

Donington in it's present form is a great circuit, let's hope they don't ruin it.

There were no Morgans racing - should I write a report?

Bob.

PS; Dion Kremer was driving an Alfa in the HSCC race.
Regards
Chris Acklam
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Chris Acklam »

I think you're right Bob, I also cannot see how they can turn Donington into a GP circuit in 2 years. That would be just about possible if starting in a desert, but in England with all its planning protocols, protest groups, etc it's highly unlikely. The current access to Donington is appalling and would need new roads, the paddocks and pits need to be totally rebuilt, the track would need to be widened and much bigger run-offs created and they would need to create huge parking areas somewhere. I'd be interested to see the 'contract' and what the provisos are for them to be able to stage a GP.

Yes, a report (sans Morgans) would be fascinating. We were all at Cadwell (rumoured to be staging the British GP in 2013) having a windy (Potter was there), occasionally wet, but overall a good, time. Next stop Bentley Drivers and the BB (or is that TT) Trophy, Thoroughbreds and Morgan Challenge (and the occasional Bentley I am led to believe).
Phil Egginton

Post by Phil Egginton »

Sorry to be a bit controversial but my own opinion is that it is about time the BGP moved. Having first gone to Silverstone in 1983 I can see an immense change since then to now and I have to say Donnington has changed as well (I remember when there was loads of places to camp in the paddock for instance). However when you look at what the middle and far east have done and then look at Silverstone to be frank Bernie has a good point.

Now equally you might say that it is down to the Uk government not backing Silverstone with taxpayers money they seem so eager to waste on the Olympics. Or you might say that the success of the middle and far east is down to billions of dollars from oil and governments. Both probably are true however it is possible for a new facility to be built without any of this.... just look what the Portuguese are up to the in the Algarve.

A few years ago one local man had a vision for a new world class race track. Down to personal effort that vision is now being built in record time by some of the worlds best construction companies all done through private finance.... and now only just getting full Portuguese government backing (and now support funding). See http://www.autodromodoalgarve.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck to Simon Gillett and Lee Gill, if you need some inspiration of what blood, sweat and tears can do go to Portugal.
Phil Egginton
"Think very carefully… because if you ever start, you will never be able to leave it alone" — Donald Campbell CBE
Phil Egginton

Post by Phil Egginton »

Chris Acklam wrote:I think you're right Bob, I also cannot see how they can turn Donington into a GP circuit in 2 years. That would be just about possible if starting in a desert, but in England with all its planning protocols, protest groups, etc it's highly unlikely. The current access to Donington is appalling and would need new roads, the paddocks and pits need to be totally rebuilt, the track would need to be widened and much bigger run-offs created and they would need to create huge parking areas somewhere. I'd be interested to see the 'contract' and what the provisos are for them to be able to stage a GP.
Just been watching local (Midlands) TV with an interview with Simon Gillett. Apparently they have already had many and long conversations with the local planners and the application goes in in a few weeks. As he points out they already have every other GP in the UK (MotoGP, Supertrucks, Superbikes etc) and 40 'free noise' days a year of which this will consume 3. I guess most of us have driven both Silverstone and Donnington and I know which one I prefer...
Phil Egginton
"Think very carefully… because if you ever start, you will never be able to leave it alone" — Donald Campbell CBE
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Phil,
I suppose that there has to have been a lot of thought put into the bid for the GP, and no doubt in time everything may be in place, but if planning permission is only just going in it is rather late. As the announcement came out of the blue and obviously shocked the establishment at Silverstone, I cannot believe that had there been any significant work going on behind the scenes, that it would not have been known about, such things always leak.

I would however, go back to Tony's original point, no matter the details of how, when and who, we know that Herman Tilke will design the new track and with the number of car parks, paddocks, sumptuous hospitality suites, massive 'modern' garages, helicopter landing site etc the 'New Donington' will become another concrete jungle and bear no relationship to the existing facility.

When comparing Silverstone with the new Far East tracks I would ask where is the atmosphere, the history and memories at the bland, all same, Tilkeland circuits. Grand Prix racing is part of Europe's heritage and it is being flogged off to a bunch of oil rich Arabs etc, just to make Bernie Ecclestone even richer than he is, and to give a spurious respectability to some fairly obnoxious regimes.

We should let 'F1' go East and start afresh using the old circuits.

That's wot i FINK.
Regards
Chris Acklam

Post by Chris Acklam »

Phil Egginton wrote:I guess most of us have driven both Silverstone and Donnington and I know which one I prefer...
Yes, Silverstone GP is much better than Donington GP to drive (the Melbourne Hairpin is a hopeless afterthought). Silverstone National is boring, but Silverstone International is only just shaded by Donington National IMO.
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

speaking from experience of highways
there is absolutely no chance of a new road infrastructure in the timeframe-- think 10 years minimum
peter
Andy Green
Morgan Class B

Post by Andy Green »

I think Donington will be a great venue and it does have some rather good GP history!

Good luck to Silverstone and the BRDC members,it can now continue as a club venue
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

So this is my conspiracy theory!

I have a suspicious feeling this is all a blind by Max Mosley to show him in a good light and deflect criticism. After all it was the FIA who announced it.

And not far behind Max (excuse the unintentional pun!) will be Bernie. He must know it is a non starter for Donington which in turn scuppers the BRDC and getting Silverstone up to par.This means the British GP will lapse and Bernie can give it to Zimbabwe or wherever and whoever is prepared to shell out.

One thing is for sure - there won't be any money coming from this Government for any UK circuit.

Cheers - from an old-ish cynic!

Mark
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Spot on Mark, a dastardly plot to rid the FOM of a pesky Grand Prix in the UK, and still look good.

Andy, while I would agree that it would be fabulous to see F1 cars racing at Donington,and it would certainly sort out the men from the boys, unfortunately we are not talking about the Craner Curves, Redgate, Macleans etc. we are talking about Corner No 1, The Chicane, Curve 4, all wide expanses of tarmac with massive runoff areas and the spectators 100 yards away behind a tall fence. You would be very lucky to catch a glimpse of a driver without his helmet, and all the best viewing would be taken up by corporate hospitality suites, AND the cost of entry would be twice what it is at Silverstone.
I have been to meetings at Donington where I had to queque on the M1 to get there, imagine a GP weekend.

If it became a toss-up between losing the proper Donington or the GP I'm not sure I would vote for the latter.
Regards
Andy Green
Morgan Class B

Post by Andy Green »

Bob

All circuits have to evolve and be made more safe

Look how Silverstone has changed over recent years

Lets wait and see the new circuit plans,the people involved have already said the corners you mentioned will be part of the new layout

As regards the traffic the circuit is actually closer to the M1/M42 etc than Silverstone and with a similar one way system as per the A43 then I am sure entry will not be such a big problem

For a large club meeting at Silverstone there are also still big delays

The EM airport has all the capacity for the great and the good who can fly in (as per Silverstone) but now into a proper airport with more safety equipment,parking and a direct link to the circuit,apparently to be named "Bernies highway"

The BRDC have had years to respond to Bernie and the FIA etc,so lets support Donington and all the people in the East Midlands who will actually make this happen

Donington also has other attractions including the best F1 museum in the world and is close the the Walkers stadium the home of the greatest team in League 1

Just think 2010 a pint of Everards,a packet of walkers crisps,LCFC back in the premier league and a F1 race in Leicestershire-what more would you need
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

shouldnt all this be in the new silly section
peter