Transponders

Technical queries or suggestions
Jim Mountain

Transponders

Post by Jim Mountain »

I'm planning to enter the 4/4 in a few races next year, but can't see anything in the regs about transponders, I'm guessing I need to have one.

Do I need to buy one or can they be rented ?

If I need to buy one where do i get one from ?

Is there a certian make type that is prefered ?

As you can see I know nothing about them, please help.

Jim
peter rafter

Re: Transponders

Post by peter rafter »

jim if you are only planning a few races then you can hire one per diem from each circuit (from TSL timing solutions), speak to simon baines
peter
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Hi Jim,

I run a re-chargeable one, they are a bit pricey but less hassle to fit.
Have a look at these.
http://www.mylaps.com/index.php/uk_eng/ ... r/products
http://www.tsl-timing.com/Transponder%2 ... 20Form.pdf

Mary
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

jim, you will need certain information before you contact TSL
e.g. driver age, weight, inside leg measurement, alcohol consumption and y front size.
this data has to be factored in to calibrate against your car steering wheel diameter
beware of innacuracies, my transponder consistently runs slow and overstsates my lap times by up to 30 seconds
peter
Simon Baines

Post by Simon Baines »

Jim

I chose to hire them for this season until I had made a long term decision to continue racing. Pros & cons from my perspective are as follows -

Pros

Reasonably affordable to hire, TSL charge £20 for the day no matter how many races you enter. They are also very efficient at retrieving them after your last race. On a couple of occasions they have been waiting for me, complete with side cutters to remove the transponder as I parked the car in my bay in the paddock.
Bentley Drivers timekeepers didn't charge for the hire but they kept my comp licence as a deposit.

Cons

The timekeepers are not always accessible once practice starts. At Cadwell they are in the main control tower on the start finish straight which is only accessible between races. It took me nearly half an hour to get back to the car. Snetterton was a similar problem.

Needless to say next season I will be buying my own and as Mary says, I will probably go for the re-chargeable type.
TonyLees
Morgan Class B

Post by TonyLees »

I reckon the wired in ones are best - fit and forget (did I charge it up?).
Expensive solution if you have more than one car though...
Jim Mountain

Post by Jim Mountain »

Thanks for all the replys, I'll be taking a hammer to the piggy bank by the look of it.

Jim
Sean Horwood
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Sean Horwood »

Hello all,

Did I hear correctly, at the end of last season, that drivers were to supply their own transponders from now on (as opposed to renting from the organisers)? I may have misheard but if I haven't I'd better get one!
I've seen a few second hand transponders from a company called AMB (Models called tranx 160) about half the price of a new TSL unit - which sounds great for tight budgets but is it appropriate?
Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of information about race transponders on the internet and no mention of them in the various race magazines, it almost feels that unless you're already 'in the know' ...... sorry I was heading off on one! #-o
Chris Acklam

Post by Chris Acklam »

I don't know if the organisers are no longer renting out transponders (may be worth a call to them to find out), but I have an AMB transponder.

Their website is confusingly called mylaps. Any of their red transponders will probably be OK, but it is worth checking with an organiser like Steve Carr at the MGCC to be absolutely sure.
Chris
Philip Tisdall

Post by Philip Tisdall »

could also look at TSL Sports Timing that is where I got mine www.tsl-timing.com
Philip
Jim Mountain

Post by Jim Mountain »

if anybody has a 2nd had one up for grabs i'll buy it off you, think I might have to get a paper round to help pay for all this!
Jim Mountain

Post by Jim Mountain »

Found these people on the web, cheaper than anyone else by £40 ish

http://www.hssports.co.uk/index.htm
Barry Sumner

Post by Barry Sumner »

Jim
Make sure its compatible with the system used by the circuit timing people?
Barry
Jim Mountain

Post by Jim Mountain »

Seems they put there prices up £40 since I ordered mine this morning :)

Jim
Sean Horwood

Post by Sean Horwood »

Hi Jim,

Which model did you get?

I've been looking at the 260R - not cheap but appears to be correct.

I'm a bit worried that it was suggested that timing gear might vary from circuit to circuit - can anyone throw some light on this?

Finally, couldn't someone just make a couple of recommendations for new racers on the 'getting started' page on the website, I've spent an age getting different opinions from people and found the websites relating to Transponders utterly useless when it comes to deciding which one is appropriate. Not a complaint just airing some frustration!! :wink:

Sean