Fuel cells - FIA approved

Technical queries or suggestions
Jochem Kentgens

Fuel cells - FIA approved

Post by Jochem Kentgens »

Hi all,

Need to have a FIA approved fuel cell installed in my high line '59 +4.

Here in Holland with the normal race parts suppliers, they do maximum capacities of 8 gallons. Now that will not be sufficient for endurance races (of let's say an hour during which you are not allowed to fill up during the race). Also, I want to use the car for road rallies as well.

Does anyone know where I can find bigger capacity cells that fit the Morgan?

And any price range ideas?

Thanks and best wishes, Jochem
peter rafter

Re: Fuel cells - FIA approved

Post by peter rafter »

peter mulberry??
peter
john bevan

Post by john bevan »

Morgan Club Sport. The only way to drive to and from races!
Lorne Goldman

Post by Lorne Goldman »

Yes. Your gallon is likely the AFL small standard cell (10 US gallons)

The world has two makers of proper fuel cells...which consist of a foam filled deformable bladder filled with foam contained in a hard tank-like looking box. AFL and Fuel-Safe. I believe AFL bought out Fuel-Safe a in 2004. (Both supply the aircraft industry as well.)

They will make made-to-order cells. I had one made for my Plus 8 in 2003. We were able to increase stock Plus 8 capacity by eliminating the indents that Morgan needs at the ends. I could have made it larger but after a point, the weight of the fuel in a full Morgan tank will make it slip its side moorings on front impact.

All that being said, I have a cell of 66 liters or 14.6 Imperial gallons. Cost, delivered from California to Quebec was 2400 CDN. I am guessing they can do it for you (to your specs with roll-over valves) for 2000 Euros all in. The fuel level sender will be mildly problematic but very doable.

Lorne
Andy Green
Morgan Class B

Post by Andy Green »

Just get Pete Mulberry to make you one
Lorne Goldman

Post by Lorne Goldman »

Andy Green wrote:Just get Pete Mulberry to make you one

I too, am a big fan of Peter Mulberry.

However, there is a big difference between a what Jochem has now and an aluminum tank filled with foam. Mind you, at the price of a real fuel cell made for a Morgan..there is no surprise that people go a non-cell route.

The HEART of a racing fuel cell is its bladder (bag tank). The bladder is an extremely strong, flexible fuel container that prevents fuel spillage. In a crash, the bladder reshapes itself to accommodate any penetration without rupturing. The bladder is the first and most imprtant line of defense.

These bladders are filled with foam.

Foam has several functions. While displacing a very small amount of fuel, the foam prevents sloshing of the fuel. By preventing sloshing the Foam keeps the fuel de-aerated which improves fuel delivery and also insures constant delivery of fuel to the pickup. A secondary benefit of foam is that it displaces oxygen that would otherwise create flash explosions within the tank. Lastly, the foam holds the bladder in shape, important with a flexible bladder. However, without a bladder, when penetrated, the foam filled tank will leak fuel just has fast as a non-foam tank.

The entries and exits to the bladder are all spring loaded. Closing off the bladder when they are not in use. The can or container simply provides a way to mount the fuel cell in the car. Containers can be made from aluminum, steel, carbon fiber, fiberglass or even a cavity in the body structure.

Placed as they are behind the axle, Morgans fuel tanks are especially vulnerable to rear and even side impacts (which push the axle into the tank).

Lorne